Dinner for Six

“He is in attendance whether invited or not.”
Well, obviously He needs to brush up on his Emily Post. >>> Flora

Entertainingly flippant, Flora. But there is nothing in Emily Post regarding ominpresent but wilfully ignored guests. I believe Jesus Himself tried to deal with this with the verse in Revelation about standing at the door and knocking.

Sox: Would that be Joe Jackson of the infamous Black Sox? Or the Joe Jackson of angst rockers such as “Is She Really Goin’ Out With Him?”>>>>> Waste

Well, Waste, I certainly meant the baseball player. But I also thought about musicians I might invite. I have always admired the work of Johannes Brahms above most other composers. not only for its beauty but for what I percieved to be his philosophy as he wrote it. I would be interested in talking with him about that.

So perhaps I’d invite Mr. Brahams if Joe couldn’t make (he’s always hanging out in Iowa Cornfields and such).

SoxFan59
“Its fiction, but all the facts are true!”

Actually, Sox, I sorta assumed as much. The problem seems to be with the HTML code for smart-assed remarks. . .

And Brahms was okay, but I always liked Beethoven. And if I invited him, I would have to invite Mozart, just so Herr B could have someone to curse at. Which brings up Salieri, who I would need to invite so that he cou…

Ah, forget it. I’m going for sesame noodles. If any of them want to come, they have to pick up their own checks.

Waste
Flick Lives!

OK, I’m assuming that neither language nor proof of existence is an issue. Here are my choices.

1. Pope Joan
    B. Elizabeth Cady Stanton
    iii. Plato
    d. Frank McCourt

I don’t know that this is the best possible combination of guests, but I’d like to meet all of them. I have NO IDEA what we’d talk about, or what I’d feed them, or anything.

If I could have 2 such parties, I might re-arrange the guest list some.

The Cat In The Hat

OK, I’m assuming that neither language nor proof of existence is an issue. Here are my choices.

1. Pope Joan
    B. Elizabeth Cady Stanton
    iii. Plato
    d. Frank McCourt

I don’t know that this is the best possible combination of guests, but I’d like to meet all of them. I have NO IDEA what we’d talk about, or what I’d feed them, or anything.

If I could have 2 such parties, I might re-arrange the guest list some.

The Cat In The Hat

AARGH!!! Sorry.

You can’t invite them twice, Cat!! Peabody was very explicit on the contract for the Wayback Machine. :slight_smile:

Incidentally, folks, if you accidentally double-post, just leave it. You can tell me in e-mail, or I may catch it myself. Either way, I’ll delete the extra. I would have here, but by the time Cat apologized and Poly referred to it, I’d have to be deleting like 3 messages, and I don’t want to do that (Poly would have been wondering what the heck he did to deserve deletion :slight_smile: ). Just an FYI.

David B, SDMB Great Debates Moderator

Oh, yeah…my other reason for inviting Petronius, Li Po, Dr. Johnson, and Baudelaire (beyond their conversation) is to see which one of us would be the last upright one when the others were dead drunk under the table.

Uke

Simulation scheduled for one hour from now.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

Whoops, finally caught up on reading this thread and left out Polycarp’s request to explain the choices…
I thought this bunch would be a good mix for conversation and interests.
Elizabeth I: worldly, witty, subtle and enjoyed a good time…and good men!
Hillel: for wisdom and insight and depth.
Mark Twain: funny, excellent conversationalist; it’d be fun to see his interactions w/ Liz! Regal old world redhead meets irreverent new world redhead.
Mme. de Stael: much like Liz; a wordly, witty charmer w/ killer looks and charm.
And Ben Franklin: excellent company, witty, urbane, and it’d be fun to see how long it took him to seduce Mme. in the butler’s pantry. Or vice versa.
(I wanted to throw Winston Churchill in there, too, but the table is getting crowded.)
Abandoned by Ben,
Veb

Simon Peter
Martin Luther
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Victor Hugo
Mary, Mother of Jesus
Dr. Laura Schlessinger

Simon Peter: I’d want to see what this “rock” upon which Jesus built his church thinks of his progeny. (I’d be particularly interested in his opinion of Saint Peter’s Cathedral, where they worship his bones and his statue.)

Martin Luther: A revolutionary who rocked the church and changed it forever.

Martin Luther King, Jr.: An admirable, amazing man.

Victor Hugo: Wrote the most inspirational novel I ever read, “Les Miserables”, although it took me forever to finish it.

Mary, Jesus’ mother: I’d find out what’s up with her showing her face all around the third world and mixing up all those poor people.

Dr. Laura Schlessinger: Interesting addition to the mix…She would be humbled and improved.

OOOPS—I knew you said 4, but for some reason I was thinking 6… Anyway, please uninvite Dr. Laura…I don’t really want her there anyway. And I guess Martin Luther King, Jr.

That’s OK, Katy; you can send the extras over to David’s, since he has two empty chairs! :wink:

1. Dr. Laura
  2. Howard Stern
  3. Jerry " no more fightin’" Springer
  4. Bill Maher

Would be very interesting.

Shirley, you need to film that dinner!

“On the edge of sleep, I awoke to a sun so bright…”

AND to liven things up, I think I would have a couple of play boy bunnies/ hooters girls and Dr. Laura’s ex lover that took those naked pictures of her when she was younger work as servers during the course of the meal.

AzRaek wrote:

I am serious. And don’t call me Shirley.