Dinner for Six

This is another Polycarp-provokes-a-discussion thread. Scenario: You and your SO are planning an evening of dinner, after-dinner beverages, and conversation. Mr. Peabody and Sherman his pet boy have graciously consented to use the Wayback Machine to bring you any four historical or quasi-historical people you choose to attend your party, from anywhere in time. (Quasi-historical, to avoid sidetracks like, was Jesus real? or whatever: if you choose to invite Agamemnon, we will assume for the thread that the Trojan War legends were founded on fact.)

Your challenge: What four people would you invite, and why? Or, after people have posted their answers, you may question their choices on the basis of exploring why that person might be interesting to have at your party.

Moe, Larry, Curly and Shemp. I like a good pie fight.

Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars.

Hmmm…Good question…

1. Nikola Tesla
  2. Julius Cesar
  3. Abraham Lincon
  4. Gotta get back to you on this…forget the guy’s name and don’t have the book with me.

I’m assuming language wouldn’t be a problem right?

I haven’t lost my mind, I have a tape backup around somewhere.

Jesus
Abe Lincoln
Mark Twain
Leonardo DaVinci

1. Jesus
  2. Socrates
  3. Buddha
  4. Lao-Tze

Why those four? Because they left no texts behind. All that we know about what they did and said, we get from their students and contemporaries. I’d like to get it from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

Jesus, without a doubt.
Galileo.
Benjamin Franklin.
Adolph Hitler.

I am going to assume languuage would indeed be a problem and confine myself to English speakers, like:

Lincoln
Washington
D.W. Griffith
Marlene Dietrich
Beatrice Lillie
Charles Dickens

Of course, would they all say yes?

Here’s part II of this question (this doesn’t count as a highjacking, does it?). What LIVING people would you ask, provided they had to say yes? I’d go for

President Clinton
Ute Lemper (cabaret singer)
Queen Elizabeth
Dennis Miller
Jan Morris (wonderful travel writer and memoirist)
George Clooney (I need something to look at, too)
well my Mom, of course!

Queen of Sheba
Helen of Troy
Cleopatra
Marilyn Monroe

Unfortunately, on that same evening, my SO has been called out of town unexpectedly.

Why would I invite those guests, you might ask? Take a guess. :slight_smile:

Jacques Kilchoer
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

Darn it, I can’t participate in this thread. I don’t have an SO!

Quick-N-Dirty Aviation: Trading altitude for airspeed since 1992.

Ex wife number 1
Ex wife number 2
The girl that “Dear Johned” me in the Army
Ted Bundy

Saul of Tarsus
Mohammad
Joseph Smith
L. Ron Hubbard

And dinner will be something very messy and easily flung. (Alternatively, John Locke, Mao, Karl Marx, and Charlemagne.)

I just looooove a good food fight.

-andros-

“Listen Children Eternal Father Eternally One!” Exceptions? None!
-Doc Bronner

andros, good one!

On the same theme, how about
General de Gaulle
Winston Churchill
Adolf Hitler
Benito Mussolini

Dinner:
Entree
Split pea soup
Beet salad

Main course
Mashed potatoes
Beef stew
Boiled yams

Dessert:
Chocolate pudding
Jello

Jacques Kilchoer
Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

1. Jesus
  2. Pat Robertson
  3. Jerry Falwell
  4. Madeline Murray-O’Hare

Some of the guests will be eating crow.

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

Let me say that I love this question, but think the rules should be modified, or at least I would modify the requirements for me.

Being a Christian, I believe that Jesus is God and has no need for the wayback machine to attend my dinner, in that He exists eternally, and is omnipresent. He is in attendance whether invited or not.

Otherwise, I believe the 4 guests I would invite would be:

Joe Jackson
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
John Marshall
Uzziah, King of Judah

SoxFan59
“Its fiction, but all the facts are true!”

“He is in attendance whether invited or not.”

Well, obviously He needs to brush up on his Emily Post.

::howling with laughter:: Great retort, Flora.

Good point, Flora. But remember that an “invitation” from the King/Queen of England has the force of a command. The rules for etiquette among deities are somewhat different.

Or you could check that matter out with Io, Europa, Leda, Ganymede (equal opportunity here!), etc.

1. The Holy Ghost (I always wondered what the hell that was all about)
  2. Whoever started my family’s line (so I could violently torture the dirty ape)
  3. Georg Trakl (his words would be the perfect background for the blood and screams)
  4. The Marquis de Sade (I could probably use a few pointers)

Moses
Hillel
Jesus
Saul of Tarsus

Kosher catered, of course :).

Gut shabbos to all,
Rick

Sox: Would that be Joe Jackson of the infamous Black Sox? Or the Joe Jackson of angst rockers such as “Is She Really Goin’ Out With Him?”

Waste
Flick Lives!