Diplomas on Display

When I worked at a law firm, every lawyer had his diploma proudly displayed in his office. That might have had something to do with reassuring the client that the lawyer was for real, but probably had more to do with wanting to brag about which school one went to.

Now that I work as a Senior Technical Writer for a medical software company (long story), I still put my diplomas up on the wall. Every once in a while somebody will notice them and say “wow – I didn’t know you were a lawyer.” Which is, of course, the whole reason I put them there.

:wink:

Barry

For the record, regarding professionals, my dad’s a lawyer and his BA and JD are in our attic. And they’re from reputable Big East schools, I don’t get it. It’s not like he went to Hollywood Upstairs Law School.

My parents have their respective diplomas on their home-office walls. They both got a lot of academic honors while in school, and those hang, too.

The only piece of paper hanging on the wall where he works is his state license to practice pharmacy, and that’s because he has to.

Robin

My college degree is framed and hanging on the wall of my bedroom in my parents house. They paid for it, so I figured they would want to have something extra to show off when they show people around the house.

I think my high school diploma is still in a leatherette folder, on my bookcase back home. I never even considered framing it.

My brother’s college degree hung on the wall of his bedroom at our parents’ house until he got his law degree. Then he took it back so he could hang it on the wall of his office.

I once saw a simply framed masters degree in educational psychology hanging on the wall of body-piercing parlor. I thought it was an interesting touch, as it was totally unexpected. The piercing tech and I discussed theories while he pierced my navel.

Most of the lawyers I’ve worked for (all small firms) hang their diplomas, bar certificates, Masters degrees if they’ve got 'em, all kinds of certificates. I never thought it was pretentious, just thought it was something they all did.

I never once thought of hanging my diploma in any of my offices seeing as I’m a secretary and my college was not exactly “prestigious.” It’s around the house somewhere.

One of the people at my job, also basically a secretary, has a two-year college diploma hanging on her wall. Cracks me up every time I see it, even though I’m sure she’s just proud of it and not trying to impress anyone (I hope!)

Probably because in this environment, no one is really impressed. Other attorneys have all gone through the same gauntlet, as have our corporate clients. It just seems, I don’t know, unnecessary.