"Disappearance" on the Superstation - WTH?

Spoiler Alert
That horror movie on the Superstation tonight. “Disappearance” with Harry Hamlin and Susan Day Yeah I missed a little bit of it to check out he X-Files, but I caught the beginning, most of the middle and the end. I left where she fell down the mine shaft and came back when he was in a nearby town with psycho sherrif and his missing kid came back.

I must have missed something critical in the middle because it ended with what is perhaps the lamest, stupidest ending I’ve ever seen where an unexplained, mysterious force that breaths heavy turns them all into the Stepford Family of Dewdrop Innkeepers. What did I miss that would have tied it all together. The symbols on the skin on the wall… the graves, the old atomic blast, the green things that ran across the desert and knocked the car off the highway… what?

What the hell was it all about?
http://www.tbssuperstation.com/TBS_Movies_SOM/0,10217,198|151,00.html

Don’t know, I had the same question, thanks for asking…

Wow. This sounds like a higher-budget Manos, the Hands of Fate. Without the amusing commentary from Joel and the bots…

jayjay

I missed different parts of the movie than you, thanks to Home Movies and Aqua Teen Hunger Force (great episode btw), and was too worried I missed something crucial.

I think the part we all missed was the fact that this was just a crappy vehicle designed to get to ex-LA Law stars together and that the premise/plot of the movie didn’t matter. At the very end, it SEEMED like they were going for a ‘Blair Witch’ type effort with the symbol present on the wall and created by the cars, but even then, it was still poop.

I saw the whole thing, and I still can’t come up with an explanation of the plot which would incorporate all the “clues.”

It’s a “Bermuda Triangle” in the desert. No, wait! It’s a slasher. No, wait! It’s mutants! No, wait! It’s a weird malevolent dust storm! No, wait! It’s aliens! Uh, aliens who transplant mutant brains into bodies of passing strangers! Gaaaah!

What it was, was a mish-mash of clues that didn’t add up in any universe I can imagine. Still entertaining, in spite of itself.

It’s a ripoff of “Breakdown”. No, wait! It’s a ripoff of “Blair Witch”. No, wait!

We sat there watching it, predicting what would happen periodically. We decided that we should become writers. We wondered how they’d tie up the ending with a pretty little bow.

After it ended, I decided the movie was tied up with an old length of twine in a granny knot. Very unsatisfying resolution.

I can’t believe I actually sat and watched the thing! Bad yet oddly compelling.

You left out The Hills Have Eyes.

I didn’t watch it, but you know it got a one out of a possible ten from TV guide, so…

Okay, folks, it’s time for a life lesson.

Good movies get released in the theater.
Movies that aren’t good enough to get released in the theater get released on network TV.
Movies that aren’t good enough to get released on network TV get released on TBS.

There’s only one step lower, and that’s movies that get released on USA.

:slight_smile:

I thought it was odd that my son would have been watching LA Law yesterday. Oh well, he doesn’t seem terribly traumatized today.

You left out “Lifetime Original Movies” a.k.a. “Victim of the Week Cinema”.

Gotta love a TV station that has “Golden Girls” and “Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?” back-to-back…

jayjay

jayjay, those aren’t movies. Those are two-hour long commercials for Zoloft. :smiley:

I only say the last 45 minutes or so, and was thoroughly mystified. I thought it was because I missed the beginning, obviously that wouldn’t have helped. Strangely, I couldn’t change the channel. It was compelling in a “where is this going?” kind of way, I was waiting for the end to bring closure.

Oh, well. That’ll teach me to watch superstation.

::slaps back of my hand::

NO!, Velma, no.

You go lie down.

TBS = Thouroughly Bad Shite

It *must *be true! I saw it on T.V.!

I can’t believe how hard you guys are being. I found it to be a gentle parable about how middle class urban families are converted to trailer-living rural families. Sort of a Green Acres for the new millenium.