Discovering Bands You Always Ignored

Yes, Then Play On is a good place to start.

For those familiar with the post-'75 Mac, it may come as a bit of a surprise to learn that they started off as a straight ahead blues band. Peter Green was a driving force early on, coming up with classics like “Albatross”,“Oh Well”,“Black Magic Woman”(yes, the song that Santana is famous for), and “Green Manalishi”. These songs are a world apart from what some people think of as “Fleetwood Mac” music, but they’re certainly worth a listen.

Glad to hear you like Bon Scott-era AC/DC - a personal fave of mine, too - but in the “minor nit” category, his replacement is Brian Johnson, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, formerly of the band Geordie (a nickname for someone from NuT - also where Gordon Sumner, aka Sting, is originally from, too, IIRC…).

for me, I was just talking about this with someone just the other day. We were comparing notes on what we were listening to and realized that in the past 6 months, we had both, coincidently, finally gotten around to listening to Live at Fillmore East, the legendary Allman Bros’ album. Neither of us had owned it or listened to it with any real attention – too much baggage and, frankly, disdain for the folks who obsessed about it. But both of us were able to listen to it separated from that and both acknowledged that it is truly brilliant and transcends those Southern Rock clichés – entirely worth getting to know.

I knew about Bad Religion for ages, but for some reason I thought they were a cheesy late 80s hair band a la White Lion or Warrant.

Then my SO got “Guitar Hero” which features “Infected” and I discovered that a)they are not a hair band, they are more like pop-punk/Offspringesque b)I really like that song.

So, I was set straight by a video game, how embarassing.

The Pixies. I first heard them as a freshman in college in 1989, when I was in my Grateful Dead/hippie-rock phase (shudder). A friend said, “Hey, you want to go see this band called The Pixies?” I’d never heard of them, so he played Doolittle for me.

I hated it. Hated hated HATED it. It was maybe four or five years later that I stumbled across Doolittle again, and this time it clicked; I didn’t take it out of the player for probably three months. Since then the Pixies have become my favorite band ever, period.

And boy, do I wish I’d gone to see that show.

And by the way:

Have you heard the Ramones’ version of it? Good stuff.

Ditto. I think I caught a few short snippets of thier videos with white & red props and costumes, and though it looked silly. But the music, man, it’s like blues, classic rock, and grunge all rolled into one.

My entry for this list would be The Misfits. I like “horror punk” and goth type music, and a lot of the hard-core fans with the mohawks, peircings, and such would be wearing Misfits patches. I finally started listening to them a month or two ago. The music took some getting used to but now I like just about every Misfits song I’ve got my hands on. They’re from the late 70’s but still sound really fresh. They’ve influenced a lot of rock/punk/goth bands, and big-name bands like Metallica and Guns N Roses have covered their songs.

You mean he was the driving force early on: he formed the band, wrote the majority of its best material, and provided stunning blues guitar playing that at the very least equals that of Clapton at his best. Indeed, their original name was Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac. They were, in my opinion, the best of the '60s English blues bands.

Fleetwood Mac after Peter Green left/went crazy are not really Fleetwood Mac, IMHO.

If you get the chance to see the reunited Pixies, do it. They’re still absolutely incredible live, and since they were never the prettiest band to begin with, it’s not at all disconcerting to see a soccer mom-esque Kim Deal and long-since bald Frank Black, since she still has that gorgeous little-girl voice and he still shrieks and barks as madly as ever.

Mine, too, but I hate goth/hardcore music. I got into them a few years ago without realizing who the singer was (Danzig), and while I love all of their Roy Orbison-on-crack songs (Saturday Night, American Psycho, and Last Caress-- plus Attitude, but who doesn’t love that song?), I don’t really care for the rest of it.

Out of the blue, my artificial hip and I have turned on to Nine Inch Nails. Do I fit the NIN profile? Probably not. But I listen to it, LOUD, and I think I scared Mr. beckwall once with the sheer volume of it.

About 15 years ago, a friend who lived in the Midwest suggested I might like The Jayhawks. I’d heard about them, but never took him up on the idea.

About 5 years ago, I keep hearing excellent songs on the digital music channel. Every time I look to see who it is, it turns out to be The Jayhawks.

Been listening to them in heavy rotation since. Got every album but the first “vinyl only” release.

All y’all! Go out and get “Hollywood Town Hall” now and thank me later.

My mama raised me on great music - the Stones, the Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, the Who, Bruuuuuce, Bowie, and so on. So what she liked, I liked. What she didn’t like, I never heard.

She hated Bob Dylan with a passion. She didn’t like Simon and/or Garfunkel. Didn’t mind Hendrix, but not a big enough fan to have records or CDs lying around. Was iffy on Zepplin. Not a Neil Young fan. Had “Dark Side of the Moon”, but no other Floyd.

So, I dunno, I kind of assumed I wouldn’t like these guys, and didn’t check them out. But in the last few years, I’ve started luuuurving Dylan, and I’ve been listening to Simon and Garfunkel non-stop for the last month. Jimi is my driving and jogging and baking bread music. Zepplin - I’m still meh on them, but they’re okay. I’m secretly in love with Neil Young. And I did go through a Floyd phase a few years ago, but I think everyone in high school does.

Meh. I thought they were ok, but I wouldn’t spend $40 to repeat the experience.

And Kim Deal looks, well, she looks bad. That’s all I’ll say on that.

System of a Down and other groups with a similar sound. I am mainly a Jazz and R&B listener. I listen to Hip Hop also. I love classic rock (late 60’s to the 80’s). So I wasn’t too surprised I liked this sound but I just avoided those top 40 and urban Rock stations like the clap.

My taste in music genre is so broad. I am usually the one to turn someone on to something they have never heard before and get them hooked. Not that anyone asked but here are some recommendations that you may find interesting:

Jazz
Pat Metheny Group. He and Lyle Mays have been around since forever (around the late 60’s early 70’s) and they come out with new albums every few years.
Try his album Letter From Home.

Afrobeat
Fela He was popular around the late 60’s and early 70’s also. He was from Nigeria and is the said creator of the genre Afrobeat.
Try his album Best of Fela

Happy listening.

Radiohead

For a long time the only song by them I had heard was Creep, and I didn’t really like it. My boyfriend has Pablo Honey but I had never listened to it. Then by chance I heard some songs from OK Computer, and I was hooked. I own OK Computer and Kid A now.

I ignored Van Morrison for a long, long time. I took a chance on one of his recent CDs a few years ago, and I thought, “Woo, this guy has really improved.” Then I found Astral Weeks in a bargain bin. I played it, and I realized :smack: he was great all along. Magic Time is magnificent; I love it more every time I play it.

I was in high school when the Rolling Stones first emerged, and I didn’t like them. I was a naive white-bread WASP in the midwest, and I had no concept of the blues. Years later, I realized what a masterful, serious band they were. I think Beggars’ Banquet flipped the switch.

Blur

For years, the only song of theirs I was familiar with was the “woohoo, I feel heavy metal, woohoo” song that I hated at first listen, and grew to detest even more as it became an overplayed Gen Y anthem.

On hearing Damon Alburn as the force behind Gorillaz, was also the guy from Blur, I thought that there was no way someone writing such great music could be responsible for that revolting “woohoo” song. Skeptically, I listened to some of Blur’s othere songs…

I still hate that song with the burning fury of a thousand suns, but the rest of Blur’s catalogue has some of the finest pop songs ever written.

“Woohoo” song is properly “Song #2.” It may be as annoying as hell from overexposure, but god damn if I don’t wish I wrote that hook. It’s pure pop goodness.

As for the OP, I had a few bands like that. Metallica was one of those. When I was growing up, all the boys in the neighborhood were listening to them, and I avoided them like the plague. I was still going through my 50s and 60s music phase. Fast forward maybe 15 years later, I saw them live in concert in Budapest and realized, god damn, these guys are really good. And a fun live act, with great respect for the audience. I was really smitten by the way they handled themselves on stage that I revisited their catalog and realized that I actually like all the music up to and including the black album.