Discovering Bands You Always Ignored

Has there ever been a time when you’ve known about a band for a long time but weren’t interested in them and never heard their music, and then one day when you did hear their music, found you really liked it?

Classic Rock. When I hear that term my reaction is always to become disinterested with anything associated with it. I like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd have some great songs, but when people say Classic Rock I start automatically disliking all the music. It’s like I automatically think “overplayed, cheap blues imitation music”.
Anyway, a band that I’d never heard was Creedence Clearwater Revival. I wasn’t interested in them at all because I’d only ever heard of them in the context of people discussing Classic Rock.
But maybe a month ago, I heard the song Did You Ever See the Rain for the first time. Hey, that’s a great song! Maybe this band isn’t so bad! I also heard Bad Moon Rising, which at first I thought was a rock song from the 50’s and liked. I haven’t heard any of their other stuff. What do you people think about this band?

Anyone ever had a similar experience?

Fleetwood Mac. For years the only song I’d heard of theirs was Dreams, and I thought it was ok, but nothing really worth listening to or investigating further. Then someone gave me a copy of Rumours, and I was instantly hooked. I now have four albums and several collections, and Fleetwood is never far from my playlist.

I think you’d like nearly all of CCR until maybe the last two albums, when the band insisted it become a democracy, and release the other members from the shadows. When they contributed songs, they all sucked, and heavily diluted what would otherwise have been a good album if Fogerty had run the whole affair. After all, there was a reason why CCR was famous: all the songs (excepting covers, of course) were written, sung, arranged and produced by John Fogerty.

In the last couple of years, I’ve discovered the other (not as well-known or played) albums by Traffic, Steppenwolf, T. Rex, Tim Curry, The Animals, Deep Purple, Foghat, Hawkwind, Ten Years After and several others. There is a lot of great music hidden on albums that never get airplay. You have to want to search them out and give them a listen. There’s also a lot of “meh” or “what were they thinking” or “what were they on” but every once in awhile you find a pleasant surprise. That alone makes whatever album it is, worth owning.

True. And, as I found out, some great music hidden on albums that DO get airplay, but I turned my nose up at. I think that’s a good way to word what I was trying to get across in the OP.
Maybe when I get home I’ll look up some other CCR songs.

U2, thought they were jangly pop crap for years, but then when they put out Achtung, Baby I reevaluated them and now think they are among the best rock bands ever, easily topping the Rolling Stones, The Who, The Eagles, Aerosmith and giving the Beatles a good run for their money as the best all time, IMHO.

You didn’t name the 4 albums you have, but to really appreciate the band, I think you need to listen to their early (pre-Buckingham/Nicks) stuff.

Megadeth, I don’t know why, but I always assumed they sucked, when in fact, they rock.

Which is unusual since most people consider Actung Baby to be the start of their experimental “jangly pop” phase (which continued until Pop). There was their “college rock” phase from Boy to Under a Blood Red Sky. Unforgettable Fire through Joshua Tree marked their “soulfull rock” phase. And most recently they have returned to more “soulfull rock” with their two recent albums with really long names. But they are a pretty good band.

I had a three-disc Billy Bragg compilation that basically sat right on top on my stereo gathering dust for a little over a year before I got around to listening to it. Right on top of my stereo. We’re not talking about something that I forgot about because it was lost at the bottom of some box. It was in plain sight practically every day, and I managed to keep ignoring it and ignoring it.

I might never have bothered listening to it, except that I decided to give it away to some friends of mine. Just before I did, I figured I ought to see if he was any good. I would have felt kinda dopey if I found out at some later date that I actually DID like Billy Bragg and had let such a huge compilation get away from me, especially given all of the time I had it. So I listened to it, REALLY enjoyed it, and burned a copy for myself before giving it away.

“Most people” think One is “‘jangly pop?’” Cretins! Just kidding, that was the song that really struck a chord with me. Still does. Cretins. :wink:

T-Rex. I’ve always heard hipsters namecheck the band, but I only knew “Bang a Gong (Get it on)” and just decided that they were a stupid 1970’s cock rock band that critics and hipsters had ironically decided were “actually really good,” along the lines of film snobs who pretend that old kung-fu flicks are on the same level as fellini. That trend always pisses me off, so I wrote the band off as a casualty of such ironic behavior.

It was only fairly recently that I delved into Electric Warrior, The Slider, Tanx, My people were fair… and realized that that’s the genius of T-rex; they were a stupid, swaggering, 1970’s cock rock band that somehow managed to write really fucking great songs and transcended their place as “arena rock band.”

Guided By Voices. I owned Alien Lanes for about five years, listening to it only rarely, before one night when I was drunk and I put it in to hear “A Salty Salute.” As I kept going, I kept being surprised. “Wow,” I’d say to myself, “I didn’t know ‘Watch Me Jumpstart’ was so good. And wow, ‘Game of Pricks’ is awesome too, I had no idea.” I ended up listening to the whole damn thing and it blew me away. Up until then, I was not aware that it was possible to pack that much genius into a single compact disc. Guided By Voices is definitely an acquired taste, and my brain is now fully tuned into their frequency.

I am currently in the process of becoming infatuated with Will Oldham and all his various incarnations. I remember hearing about Palace back in the late 90’s. I was very much into alt-country and indie rock back then, so I guess it was just my bad luck that I never actually heard any of his music. (Although financially speaking it was probably a good thing, as I undoubtedly would have dropped hundreds of dollars trying to buy every CD Will Oldham ever attached himself to.) But now I’ve been obsessing over the covers album he did with Tortoise (I can NOT stop listening to “Thunder Road”) which in turn led me to start downloading some Palace Brothers stuff. I have a big bruise on my arm where I’ve been punching myself for not getting into this stuff sooner.

For a long time, sound almost unheard, I was annoyed by the overhyped White Stripes. Eventually, I heard a few songs I liked and gave in to my curiosity. I’ve got three or four of their albums now, and I have to admit they’re a band with great energy. And Jack White is a hell of a guitar player.

I avoided all the various iterations of Ben Folds for a long time, mostly because I figured he was just another dull adult-contemporary singer-songwriter, and a little bit because I have an automatic aversion to anyone who names his band after himself (cough cough Dave Matthews). However, a few months back, I saw him perform on “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and was impressed. I bought the self-titled debut of Ben Folds Five, and have since acquired most of his LP back catalogue. His newer stuff does tend towards the adult-contemporary schmaltz that I’d expected, but I really like his energetic earlier work, when he balanced the schmaltz with wiseass wit and a killer ear for catchy melodies.

Henry Mancinni, (way the hell before my time)
Dead Kennedys, never really got into punk when it was on the rise but one day I heard Fresh Fruit for Rotting tomatoes and I was pretty hooked.

interestingly most of the bands in this thread I have checked out at one time or another, only Guided by Voices made me want to drive ice picks into my ears but its been awhile, might have to check them out again.

Not a band technically, but I heard two Fiona Apple songs and somehow decided she was definitely not my type.

Later, I heard them again and tried my hardest to rmember how i could possibly have not liked her to begin with… checked out more of her music and now she’s one of my top three favorites.
Rasputina, another one of my top favorites. I totally wrote them off without even hearing their music becuase I only knew the name through a friend whose tastes were mostly punk rock/metal/goth and that was, at the time, definitely NOT my style.

I listened to one song and thought it was the catchiest thing ever. Listened to it over and over and over. found another and laughed my head off at it (which was the intended response. It’s a funny song.) Looked up some lyrics and websites and just fell in love. Which paved the way for me to listen to other bands that I had previously thought were too punk/goth/metal/screamo for me.

I have Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, and Mirage. Huh. I could have sworn I had four. I don’t seem to have copied the other to my laptop, and the CDs are all seven thousand miles away at home.

All those are post-Buckingham/Nicks, though. Also have their Greatest Hits and the Very Best of…

Any recommendations on their early stuff?

I’d recommend Then Play On.

I didn’t discover most of the classic rock that I love until college or later. (I loved Fleetwood Mac all through high school, though! I’ll have to try the earlier stuff too.)

The number one band that fits the “ignored until recently,” for me, is the Rolling Stones. How could I have ignored this stuff? I love rock music of all kinds, but the only thing I knew of theirs for many years was “Sympathy for the Devil.” And I love “Sympathy,” so I’m really surprised I didn’t check out the Stones long ago.

A nephew got into older rock a few years ago, and I realized that I like AC/DC. I can’t stand the stuff with the new guy, but with Bonn Scott the band was a tight, fun and often silly band.

I was in High school when AC/DC first became popular in the States. By that time, Scott had died, was replaced by that guy from Cleveland, and they seemed to be taking themselves a little too seriously (the fun was gone, at the very least.)