Discussion thread for the "Polls only" thread (Part 1)

That might be a good one for the “What is extremely common in TV or movies but almost never happens in real life?” thread.

No one? Bueller? Okay, I’ll do it.

In high school, i volunteered in the library, and the librarian taught me to do this. She said, "If someone is too noisy, approach them quietly and speak as quietly as you can to remind them to make less noise. People mirror what’s around them, and your speaking quietly is more effective than anything you can say. "

I have no idea how many first cousins I have.

My mom had two siblings. Her sister is childless, and her brother has one son.

My dad had five siblings, four older, and one younger.

• My youngest paternal aunt had two daughters, and one died as a newborn due to an accident in the hospital nursery.
  • My youngest paternal uncle has a son.
  • My middle paternal uncle has two daughters and a son.
  • My oldest paternal aunt had two sons, and one died as a toddler of a heart defect.
  • My oldest paternal uncle had ten children before he fled bigamy charges by moving to Canada in 1979, and no one has heard from him since. Who knows how many children he had after that.

My mother’s brothers never had children, like my father’s sister. No first cousins here.

I have some second cousins I am quite close to. Their grandmother is my grandmother’s sister. Aunt Isabella was the closest I had to a grandmother growing up.

My nieces and nephew – the children of my wife’s sister – are in that position. My wife is her sister’s only sibling, and we never had kids; the sister’s husband had only one sibling, and she died young, without having ever married or having a child.

The nieces and nephew have four step-cousins (through their maternal grandfather), but my SIL’s relationship with her step-siblings is icy, and as a result, her kids barely know their step-cousins.

The prescription med poll was hard for me. I take nexium, which you can get without a prescription, i think, but you aren’t supposed to take it as regularly as i do without a prescription. And i also wear an estrogen patch, which i “take” weekly, but that is a prescription drug, and replaced what would be a daily tablet.

I voted zero, but that seems wrong.

I voted five.

Birth control (PMDD)
Vyvanse (ADHD)
Ellipta (Asthma)
Lamotrogine (depression and seizures - it’s a twofer!)
Olanzapine (anxiety)

My only allergy seems to be artificial fragrances. I have stopped at the door of a place I might have wanted to go into because incense made the air unbreathable. And one time I caught a cold partly due to being exposed to the heavy perfume of the woman I was stuck sitting next to. However, our dear friend bathes in Eau d’Woolworth, but we tolerate it because we all love her so much.

I’m not allergic, but I very much dislike strong fragrances.

There is a candle and soap shop in a small town where we often vacation. I can smell it from three stores away.

mmm

Regarding medication allergies, I’ve been genetically tested as a polymorphic CYP2D6*5/*5 poor metabolizer. This means I have two non-functional alleles for the gene that makes the CYP2D6 liver enzyme. This enzyme metabolizes 25% of all prescription drugs in the market. My liver makes none of it, so affected drugs either build up in my system causing side effects, or they are never activated and provide no therapeutic benefit.

I counted that as an allergy, even though it’s not a true allergic reaction.

Besides environmental allergies, mostly pollen, I have one known food allergy, melons.

It’s relatively mild; I would get an itchy mouth and occasionally some lip swelling. I was in my teens before I figured it out. I love fresh watermelon so I when one was served I’d wait to see if people said it was really good, snarf down a few bites, then rinse with water. Cantaloupe has a much stronger reaction.

Prescription drugs is three,
82mg aspirin
Amlodipine, blood pressure
Xeljanz, arthritis

My only actual allergy that I know of is to poison ivy. But both some artificial fragrances, and the various items outgassing from many plastics and pesticides, can make the area around them intolerable for me. I don’t actually have trouble breathing, but I feel like there’s no air in the air, if that makes any sense, and that I have to get out of there as fast as possible. But I’ve never actually had my throat close up, or started to actually choke, or break out in hives. So I don’t think that counts as an allergy, in me at least; maybe some kind of intolerance?

Admittedly, I’m not sure what would happen if I were forced to stay in such an environment for an extended time. Maybe the sensation that I’m about to choke would eventually turn into actual choking. I don’t want to find out.
I can generally stand it about long enough to grab one or two items and get through the checkout – it’s not usually as bad at the checkout, because there’s generally more air coming in.

0h – ETA – I’m not clear enough on the rules for playing pool. Maybe I should have voted no opinion; but, if I did play pool, I’d get a better idea of the rules. Voted other.

I pronounce in my head “ummm, ummm”.

I take a few pills my Doc says are preventative, and one for arthritis, (Mobic)

Nothing that if i stop i die.

Prescription-wise, I take Trazadone in the evening and bupropion in the morning.

This how I pronounce “mmm”:

“伍” is pronounced “mm” is the 4th tone (low, falling). So, when I see “mmm”, I think “not”.

I’m totally with @DCnDC’s retro reference, which was what I was thinking of as well, except through the awesome filter that is Weird Al.

If I’m reading a book and someone says, “Mmm,” I assume they’re saying, “Mmm hmm” as in, yes.

I read somewhere, don’t remember where, that the plural of the computer mouse is mouses.

mmm