Disney Cruises - convince me this is a good idea

I found it particularly noticeable when taking the 8-9yr olds up to the sports deck late that night - the stars would be whizzing around overhead. I previously worked as a planetarium presenter and would always look out for familiar constellations.

Note to self: When on a cruise, attempting murder by throwing a victim overboard is ill-advised on a “sea day”. If necessary choose poor swimmers.

By the way UC, I don’t think a cruise is a good idea for you guys. Its a really expensive vacation if you are prone to motion sickness and spend the whole thing miserable. While a lot of people don’t get seasick, some DO. There is non-sleepy dramimine, but not everyone reacts to it well and it has some side effects. At very least, do some research on seasickness drugs, maybe try them before you make your decision so you know what the immediate effects are for you. I know how you feel about medicated childbirth, I can’t see you pumping yourself and your kids full of drugs for a mere vacation.

All inclusive in the Caribbean?

I went on a Disney cruise, just me and my wife, we were late-20s at the time. It was great.

If that many people in the party are prone to motion sickness, I agree with Dangerosa, consider another option. You’ll be fighting it the whole time. If you must, get a stateroom as near midship as you can, and one facing outside.

Thanks guys. For now we have put off any cruise plans. We wanted to have some idea of what we’re doing in 2012 so we know how many points to spend on our summer vacation this year, and we’ve decided to just do a landlocked Disney trip. Looks like we’ll have enough points to do a nice Hilton Head trip this summer and still be able to stay at the Beach Club in September 2012, which will be special because they have the rockingest pool and my daughter loves it there, but Phoenix and I have never been (kid got to stay with her grandparents).

As you say Dangerosa, it would be an awful lot to gamble on us not being sick and/or tolerating the drugs. I just feel more comfortable settling on something I know I’ll enjoy. Cruise is still on the table for the future, maybe. But I don’t want to deal with it now.

BTW, this thread is a wonderful example of why I love the Dope. People gave me so much information, and introduced a whole new topic I was unaware of, and then someone jumped in with actual legal citations, etc. Y’all are cool!

Points implies DVC. We just got back from Hawaii (though not Auluni or Oahu). Hawaii was great. I think you’d get a lot of “laidback cruise feeling” from Hawaii.

Yeah, Hawaii looks really sweet. It’ll be some time before we can afford to fly all four of us there, but it’s on the list, baby!

We’re DVC members, too. I’m actually using two years’ worth of points this year so that I can get a 2-bedroom suite at the Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge before and after our Disney cruise in August. (My mother and sister are going with us.)

We’d hoped to go on a Disney Mediterranean cruise in 2012, but they’re not going to have any of those next year. Apparently they didn’t get the bookings they expected in 2011. The alternate cruises don’t appeal to us, even though we could avoid flying to the departure port for several of them (New York).

Since we don’t have any DVC points next year, and the Med cruise we wanted is out, we’re considering going to Hawaii (not at the new DVC resort, though) and/or the Grand Canyon instead.

If you do end up going on a Disney cruise, I second the recommendation made earlier to check out the cruise forum on the DISBoards.

Every time I’m on a ship I have to mainline Bonine. Even if the ship advertises stabilizers that prevent 99.99999999% of all motion sickness cases. Your nautical mileage may vary.

(I find I respond better to Bonine than Dramamine.)

I fly to Disney World when I want the Disney experience. I fly to Hawaii when I want the Hawaii experience. IME, the twain shall never meet. :slight_smile: (And, actually, if you really do want a hybrid of the two, you might consider Atlantis instead. It’s been described as the Disney World of the Caribbean. Probably a lot cheaper than flying to Hawaii.)

Oh, and Scuba Ben, I’m curious. Do you get seasick when you dive? Snorkeling is not good for my motion sickness but I’m wondering if diving would be any better. This motion sickness is a really curbing my sense of adventure.

But she has DVC points. i.e. she has a timeshare. If the goal here is using the investment in the timeshare, her options are a little limited - and don’t include Atlantis (used to, briefly). And, as timeshares go, DVC is more limiting that most in that you don’t have access to direct trades - Disney decides where you can and can’t trade into. (Disney has a resort at Hilton Head which is why that’s mentioned, they are in the process of opening up a resort on Oahu. You can use your timeshare to cruise on the Disney ships, too. I’d love to see one in Costa Rica myself - more reasonable airfare than Hawaii, but as of yet, they haven’t gone international).