Disney Drops ‘Slave 1’ Name On Lego’s Boba Fett ‘Star Wars’ Ship

The Tydirium is actually named in its movie, unlike Slave I or Executor.

And it wasn’t named in the movie either. I remember it was originally called “Rebel Blockade Runner” before it Tantive IV.

Yet they have the same blase attitude and double-standard as the fictional people in that galaxy far, far away regarding the obvious enslavement of droids.

The name Slave I (note, I, not 1) appears in the original 1980 novelization of TESB (which somehow I still have after about a dozen moves since I was 12):

“And as the Falcon roared off to seek the Bespin system, this other ship ignited its own engines. Boba Fett, the most notorious and dreaded bounty hunter in the galaxy, turned his small, elephant’s head-shaped craft, Slave I, to begin its pursuit.”

So yeah, as canonical as it gets besides the movies themselves.

That’s interesting. Is that the first time the name appears anywhere, I wonder? If so, did Don Glut (author of the novelization) come up with it, or did he just apply a name that LucasFilm was already using internally?

I owned that novelization as well, in addition to the ones for Star Wars and Return of the Jedi. Sadly, my copies are long-gone by now.

The novelization was released before the movie, and he knew it was shaped like an elephant’s head, so I’m assuming he had specific data about the ship from Lucasfilm. I doubt he’d have been allowed to make up the name of the ship on his own.

Well, these days I’d bet the Razor Crest might well be more known and recognizeable than Slave 1.

Well, it’s no moon…

Well, not any more.

Boba Fett’s supposed to be a bad guy, or at least an amoral type of dude. Wouldn’t it make sense for the name of his ship to be intimidating and somewhat offensive?

(Especially considering it really does look like an iron)

Yeah…that! ^^

The ship name that offends me is General Grievous’ flagship, the Invisible Hand.

Ahem.

Mr. Lucas:

The Invisible Hand is the reason generations of children have the money to buy the toys, and t-shirts, and other junk that you have been peddling for the past 50 years. The Invisible Hand is the reason you live at Skywalker Ranch, and not a slum in Compton. Dissing Adam Smith is rank hypocrisy.

It could be. I linked an article earlier talking about the conception of the ship, and it has old concept art from 1979, where it is simply called “Boba Fett’s Ship”.

https://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/07/Image-01.jpg

The concept art for the ship in the prequels called it “Slave I” so it was clearly canon later on, but at least during part of the development of the film it seems like they hadn’t given it a name yet.

https://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/07/Image-04.jpg

What is the logic of that name, anyway? Even an historical slaver would never call their ship “Slave”. And why “Slave I”. Is there a “Slave II”?

He wanted to sound like a badass and make others think there was more than one slave ship?

I dunno…that’s my best shot.

For the ship itself in that context? Nothing.

But it’s not necessarily the type of name you’d want on the box of the toy that you’re trying to get parents to buy for their kids. That’s what this thread is about.

And, if he becomes an antihero in the new series but keeps the same ship, that would also be a pretty good reason (in-universe and out-) to rename it.

And yet it is hugely popular with the kids even though it looks like an iron.

It was used on the original toys.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-star-wars-boba-fett-slave-1904023802