Disney's A Christmas Carol: Anyone going?

Another Robert Zemeckis CGI movie full of animated corpses?

I have nightmares enough already, thank you.

The musing about Dickens’ feelings is sarcasm. They will not get my money nor the money of any of my family for this abomination.

I love the Alistair Sim version (well, the beginning and the end anyway; it kind of drags in the middle), but I think it’s about time for a faithful adaptation using modern film techniques.

This isn’t it.

If you’re looking for faithful + modern, have you seen the George C. Scott (personal favorite) or Patrick Stewart versions?

No particular objections to Jim Carrey or 3D CGI (actually, I saw the Toy Story 3D double-feature, and it was awesome)…but the slapstick thrillride aspects do not appeal at all.

Ugh. Looks horrible, and its “best” selling points (Zemeckis, Carrey, 3D) provide me absolutely zero incentive to go. Not a chance.

I’d rather have my balls pounded flat with a mallet.

I think it’s a telling fact that they’re putting this into the theaters three weeks before Thanksgiving, much less sometime even closer to Christmas itself.

The previews convince me that the title of “creepiest Christmas film” is going to be taken away from The Polar Express this year.

Absolutely not, and I will probably veto it if my wife wants to see the DVD.

Not a chance. A Christmas Carol is the definition of Done. To. Death.

I really can’t imagine anyone, particularly anyone as talentless as Jim Carey, doing anything with it that would make yet another new adaptation would bothering with.

I’ll likely watch the Charles Laughton version on Christmas Day like I usually do, since that’s my favorite, but I think I can safely avoid the non-stop 3D thrill ride.

The first thing I said to my husband after I saw the trailer? “Please don’t make me go.” I’m a big fan of A Christmas Carol, but I won’t be seeing this one. And that’s why I won’t. Somebody should stop Jim Carrey before he gunks up anything else.

This review suggest the trailer is rather misleading and it’s a very dark, gloomy movie, rather than a screwball madcap Jim Carrey comedy. I still don’t plan on seeing it.

I wasn’t aware of a Charles Laughton version…and IMDB doesn’t have it, either.

Huh?

Now, this review focuses on what I’ve hoped for- the sheer creepiness of the story. There was no mention of the three scenes I see as essential to the success of a ACC version- the wandering phantoms, Ignorance & Want, and the pawnbroker shop- so I’ll just hope those are included.

:confused: Ok, what does that tell?

I just saw the movie yesterday and now think EVERY movie should be released in IMAX 3D! It was such an immersive experience. The story was very well told, very dark – not a kids’ movie. They did seem to throw in a silly adventure-style chase scene that didn’t really belong, maybe that was to keep children entertained. I liked it much more than I expected and do recommend it.

When the TV shows Dukes of Hazzard and Alice and Highway to Heaven (is it true that world glurge prices all crashed the day Michael Landon died?) have done it, it’s done. There’s even been a conservative version of it (that abysmal thing with Chris Farley’s not-dead-yet brother playing Michael Moore). I’ll never understand people still greenlighting it.

I think it’d be cool to portray Ignorance and Want with Madonna and her newest Third world [del]abductee[/del]adoptee.

I just went and came back without seeing it. My movie theater had two different screens showing it, so I went to the 10:00 AM show. That one was not in 3D. The first 3D was at 11:45. Their web site did not make that clear. I’m annoyed enough I’m not sure now if I’ll go back. (I was grumpy to start with.)

I think this is the only time to release a Christmas movie. You want your picture to draw audiences for 5 or 6 weeks before it fades away, and nobody wants to see a Christmas movie in January.