Disney's Monorail Doors

During a recent visit to Walt Disney World, the family noticed how the monorail’s paired doors will open together and yet close individually. Why would this be? Is this a safety feature, perhaps?

They’re airtight “plug” doors and I think it’s easier on the machinery (which has to overcome air pressure) to seat one and then the other. Trying to seat them both simultaneously risks pushing both mechanisms out of kilter.

No, safety.

*Opening both doors at once–*rapid exit in an emergency.

*Closing each door separately–*a mechanical error won’t result in the monorail leaving the station with open doors, as it might if both doors closed from the same mechanism.

That sounds reasonable, but speculative (as have other responses). Any conclusive cites, anyone?

If I recall correctly, the sliding doors are designed such that one door closes smoothly (fast), while the second door closes smoothly to about 6 inches or so and then closes slowly the rest of the way so that if someone was standing - he or she will be pushed to a side and get a chance to move away. If they both closed simultaneously, a person will get squeezed if standing in the door.

I cant seem to find an internet cite though. Remember this from a safety design in an industrial plant a loong back.

And when you’re on the Disney monorail, always remember: Please stand clear of the doors; Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

And by all means, mind the gap.

I used to work at Disney World, in the 80s.

That’s what a monorail operator told me.

(I was curious myself, & asked.)

When I worked at Disney during the 80s, all I could get out of the monorail operator was ‘Mono means one and rail means rail.’.

I call the big one Bitey.