Dispute with nighbors over parking, am I being a bitch

But the OP has not given permission. Or did I miss something.

My understanding is that open/notorious use of a property without objection for a certain amount of time can be challanged for adverse possession. This happened on my Wifes property.

Perhaps this is not the case here, since the OP does seem to be objecting, but it may be something to consider.

A few posters in the thread have instructed her not to grant permission for fear of adverse possession. Legally the opposite is true.

I don’t think she should grant permission because screw those people, but fear of adverse possession is not a good reason.

Aggressively defending her property is the course or action I’d take. Trespassers will be towed, vandals will be prosecuted, no exceptions.

Gotcha. I think we are saying the same thing.

As I said, I doubt adverse possession would be an issue because she is fighting this.

But, it’s something that could raise its head.

And yes, if she explicitly grants permission, she can take it away. Like you, I don’t think that matters, and I would fight these idiots. Slicing her tires? Blocking her in? This is war.

Nunchuks.

This.

Only in America could management of a parking issue include consideration of lethal enforcement.

ETA: Nothing says “No Parking” quite like a claymore.

Wrong type

“It is used primarily in ambushes and as an **anti-infiltration device **against enemy infantry. It is also used against unarmored vehicles.”

Yes, this exactly. And once you get that survey, fence your property line and gate it off.

I’m actually having a little trouble picturing the arrangement though. You have a “parking pad” behind your house, but adjacent to the apartment building next door? And there is a certain portion of that parking pad (though not enough to park a car on) that belongs to the apartment building next door? Is this accessed from the street or though an alleyway? And where does the existing but broken fence/gate come in?

Didn’t they do a survey when you purchased? Weren’t you given a plat of survey, and weren’t there paint marks, pipes, or at least little flags at the corners?

To even be questioning enforcing your property rights, you really need to know what is and is not your property.

Don’t spend any more time dealing with the landlord or neighbors. Just put up signs and block off the pad. Trying to educate the neighbors will be a never-ending task. There will always be new neighbors and guests who don’t know the rules. And there will always be jerks who will want to argue with you as to why they parked there.

Access to the back is through an alley.
This is an old neighborhood, houses are over 100 years old so who knows why things are the way they are?
The parking pad, asphalt, actually runs behind my house, my neighbor’s on the left, and behind the next neighbor up on the left. The parking pad behind my house ends at the garage of the neighbor on the right. About 4 feet of it is his. Probably at some point in time the occupants got together and shared the cost of the parking pad. Some people have parking pads, some have driveways, some have garages, and some have yards with no parking at all.
My parking pad is outside the fence, my gates are wide enough to drive through. Usually I want them to be open so I can back up into the yard if I have stuff to unload. My dog is old and half blind so he’s not likely to go that far to get out of the yard.
The only reason the gates are an issue is, if somebody parks by them they will come loose and swing on windy days - hard enough to dent a car. I know, I have a dent in my truck. Personally I don’t care if somebody who parks there gets banged up by the gate, as far as I’m concerned my gates can beat the hell out of their car, but I don’t want anybody coming to me saying I owe them for the damage.
Also, I do like to close the gates sometimes and if somebody is parked out there they are blocking me from opening and closing the gates.

Where I live, if you want a survey, you pay a guy to do it. The town has a map, but it doesn’t tell you where the corners are on the actual land. The guy might put up some little flags or pipes. And you might trust the ones from when your neighbor decided to do a survey, but you might not. And maybe none of your neighbors did a survey recently.

It costs a few hundred dollars, too.

I’d advise against renting out a parking space right now. Maybe after this all gets cleared up, but for now, it might muddy the waters.

I agree. Keep It Simple Sweetheart, as they say.

Do find out where your property actually ends. Block it off.

Until you are able to put up something permanent, use something temporary, but do use something. Sawhorses, cones…hell, even sidewalk chalk if it’s the best you can do on short notice.

By the way, no matter how “nice” the landlord is, he can’t solve this problem. He also can’t just evict people because they’re jerks about parking. Besides, no matter how “nice” he seems, he’s on the tenants’ side, not yours. They’re the ones who are writing him checks. Not you.

If you contract with a particular tow company, they’ll probably GIVE you signs.

Good luck.

Please video next interaction and post on youtube.
I can watch bad neighbor disputes all day long.

Sorry about your situation, it’s always tough living next to someone you can not agree with or be neighborly with.

Yep. The only thing unclear about it is WTF a bollard is!

Off to Wikipedia, I am.

Sahirrnee, you are trying to be a good neighbor; instead, you are being a dumbass. A doormat. Your property, rights, and freedom are being violated. Do not negotiate with creeps, because you will lose. They have more practice at victimizing ‘good’ people.

Recind all agreements, and tell the landlord to keep people off of your property. Sue him for telling people that your property is theirs. (Ask a lawyer about this part.) Keep having vehicles towed. DO NOT GO OUT AND SPEAK WITH PEOPLE WHOSE VEHICLES ARE BEING TOWED!!! THEY AREN’T YOUR BFFs.
Put up signs.
Fix the latch, or, get a lock and chain.

Thank you Harry

Dumb I am at times.

So far nobody has parked out there again. I told the landlord I am not comfortable with the agreement and it’s off. They park there, they get towed, period. I’m looking into cameras.

Oh, year. There is zero reason for you to confront people whose cars are being towed. The tow company is charging to cover that hazard. Just call the tow company and stay away.

But DO put up signs if you haven’t already. You need to communicate with these people, but do it via posted signs, not in person.

Yep. Keep in mind that if you rent out a parking space and one day that space is taken by a scofflaw, your renter will be pissed. With you. Rightfully.

Not worth the income, unless parking is really high demand.

I went to the Indianopolis 500 once with a group of guys. People were selling parking on their lawns to the highest bidder.

Which should only be used if one is Catholic.

Though one supposes they might be particularly effective against trespassing Muslims.