disused london underground (uk) tube stations

having recently visited my countries capital, London and spent an inordinate amount of time on the tube, I was wondering, how many tube stations are now not used, obselete or have been demolished? Aldwych springs to mind as in its use in the playstation game Tomb Raider 3, as its not on the london underground map anymore.
Reasons for obseletion would be great, if anybody knows, as would current status etc.
Cheers
Paulberserk

I would suggest picking up a copy of Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere if you’re interested in an excellent fantasy book which deals with some of the closed tube stations.

I honestly don’t know if the map in the book is accurate; I think it is simply because I’ve never known Gaiman to fudge on research. Anyway, some of the closed tube stations, according to the book, are Mansion House, Brompton Road, British Museum, and City Road.

As for the rest… well, tbe book says that there are about fifty which are inaccessible.

Hope this helps a little.

I don’t know about London, but www.nycsubway.org, a great resource for more than you could ever possibly want to know about the New York City subway system has a page on Abandoned and Disused Subway Stations in New York.

Also on that page are links to sites covering abandoned subway stations in Boston, Paris, and Toronto, but alas, not London.

Well, exploring nycsubways.org a bit more, I came across their Links Page Listing for London. From a link there, I found this page on disused London Underground stations.

I can remember going past empty and unused tube stations on the Northern Line, I think when I worked in Balham for a short time. I always wonderd about them, they seemed romantic in a way I always loved.

Aldwych springs to mind. Mansion House is open. Mornington Crescent was closed for a time, but is now open (Northern Line). A number close at weekends, particlarly in the city, and these and other disused stations are very popular film locations for movies and TV. I believe London Underground uses them as a bit of a cash cow.

[rant]

From
http://www.thetube.com/webcode/homepage_frameset.asp?id=8 :

Seems like Kew Gardens station (where I travel from each day) may just as well be closed for all the good it will be in the next three months. Bastards. F*^%ing Bastards!! Lucky I have a bike, just wish it would stop raining.

[/rant]

That page Billdo mentioned is the most comprehensive I’ve seen.

Anyway, from the sound of it most of the tube will be disused come the 5th, 12th and 19th of February - strike action!

Is it true that they have installed giant curtain-thingys at some of tube stations to prevent hapless passengers from falling onto the rails? Furthermore, does this mean that we will no longer hear the Voice of God telling us to Mind The Gap at Embankment (I think)? And that you no longer feel like the spam in a sandwich at the Angel Islington, with trains coming in on both sides of the narrow platform at once?

I mean, what’s next–not letting us hop on or off moving buses?

Now I’m reminded of why I love the SDMB so much. You find the most interesting websites mentioned here. The “Underground History” pages that Billdo links to are fascinating.

Also fascinating is http://www.infiltration.org

–Tim

excellent stuff all,

Infiltration has long been a favourite of mine, its just a pity the UK hardly features, which my tube station post refers to.
The Jubilee line (the most recent addition to the tube network, still being built in some places) has “big curtain things” on it , ostensibly to stop people falling into the track, but why have it on one line and not the rest. If you’ve ever travelled on the tube, at peak hour idiots pushing by can almost topple folk into the super electric line. Arseholes.
Jubilee line always reminds me of the train station on Total Recall as well.
Cheers
Paulberserk

The Jubilee Line is the only one with the sliding doors on the platforms (like the Paris Metro). The Voice Of God is still ringing out, and Embankment is still the “gappiest” station around. I don’t know about Angel, though – it seems immense to me, maybe it’s been rebuilt since your last visit?

Thanks, Mattk: good to know I’ll still hear the VOG next time I’m over. I haven’t been in about 6 years, but I recall that there was what seemed to me to be a very narrow platform at the Angel, although this may have been partly psychological–since both up and down trains used a common platform, it may have just seemed narrow.

Brilliant page, Billdo: isn’t it wonderful that there are slightly obsessive individuals out there who look into such arcane matters so thoroughly?

Did anyone else ever see the documentary (I think it was on modern design) that had an episode on Harry Beck and his Underground Map: for many years, he was anonymous, but LT finally gave him credit for his simple yet elegant design.

to rodd and mattk,

have you been to Balham underground? thats a double station ie central platform and two lines. I hate that place. plus theres London Docklands (i think, the one before greenwich for the millenium dome) which is the biggest waste of dead space in an underground station ive ever seen, built under a field in the middle of the biggest building site i ever saw.
such is london
next time im there, im going on the transport museum tour

paulberserk

To my knowledge, only line 14 (Météor, the newest line: Madeleine - Bibliothèque-François-Mitterand) in the Paris metro has got such barriers, largely because the train there is unmanned and automatic.

Montreal apparently had such barriers when the metro was opened, but they mysteriously vanished at some point as I cannot find any reference to them other than in the news stories when the system was opened.

As for gaps, all of Montreal’s stations are straight, but several stations in Paris are “en courbe” (curved) and therefore have large gaps near the centre of the train cars. The one that comes to mind is Quai-de-la-Rapée but there are certainly others.

I’ve never been to Paris or London, but I live in NYC and regularly use the very curved Union Square and South Ferry stations. Those platforms have movable plates that fill the gaps. They’re rather large (the width of a subway door and about two feet deep), jerk into place, and are generally disconcerting but get the job done. Does the Tube or the Metro use anything similar?

There’s always the Hobb’s End stop, but ever since Prof. Quatermass went down there it’s given me the creeps.

Hi,

I just came across this thread. I’ve been interested in this subject for a while now and I’m maintaining a web site on the topic which can be found at http://www.starfury.demon.co.uk/uground (Billdo I see has already linked to it).

I try to keep it as up to date as possible but I still know of a couple of stations not on there, which will appear in due course. It also has quite a few illustrations and pictures, mostly taken by myself.