DIY PC Card Repair

I was an engineer in a former life. Though it wasn’t EE, I think I may be capable of this, though I need some guidance. Don’t worry, I won’t hold anyone accountable…

I was given GeForce 3 Ti graphics card by an upgrade addicted friend. Unfortunately, a rather precariously mounted device came unstuck somewhere during the transfer. Seems it was a legged device that had its legs crimped and splayed for a surface mount. I didn’t think much of it, and am intent on replacing my aging GeForce 2.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the foggiest idea of what this device is. It bears a “102 330 6E” next to a black stripe on the top face of a small cylinder. Doesn’t match any transistor or capacitor format I know of. I can either figure out what this is and get a replacement, or use a small bit of copper wire to give it new legs. For the former, obviously I need someone who can decode that nomenclature; for the latter, I wanted an educated opinion on whether the increased resistance of a couple new solder joints should be a problem.

Any other pointers would be much appreciated. For the record, yes, of course I tried to contact the vendor. Suffice it to say I have yet to talk to a human being, and I hold exactly zero hope of ever hearing from one.

How many leads does it have? It’s strange for a surface mount component to be cylindrical, the only one’s I’ve ever seen have been MELF’s which don’t usually have leads just terminals. Were the land pattern pads damaged when the part came off the board? Do you see a reference designator next to the empty land pattern? It should be in silkscreen printed next to the component, if it’s a letter/number combination that can usually give you a good idea of the component type.
R1 = Resistor
C1 = Capacitor
Y1 = Crystal
etc. etc…zillions of them

Most surface mount component markings are datecodes and such but it could be part of a vendor part number. You say it has a black stripe so it’s most probably a polarized component but I’m lost on a cylindrical part with leads unless it’s through-hole. Try to find a reference designator or a mechanical drawing at the card vendor website and I can try to find one around here to check out.

Ah, I should have included the number of leads. It’s a simple 2 lead component, obviously designed for thru-hole, but with a plastic guide to splay the legs out for surface mount. The cylindrical shape made me think capacitor, but the markings don’t make sense.

I don’t remember seeing any silkscreen, but I’ll take a fresh look for one tomorrow. I left the offending parts at the office.

OK, so there are no indicators within the silkscreen for this component, but similar looking components are clearly marked as capacitors using deadparrot’s list.

So, I’m guessing the black stripe is on the positive lead, and indicates material type. There are too many standards for me to decipher the rest. E could be either a tolerance, a 1.5 multiplier (yielding 1.5pF), or an indicator of a 25V rating. The rest is just as open to interpretation.

So what about soldering on new leads of copper wire? Any inductance or resistance problems?

Just guessing without being able to see the part but it sounds like it could be a 33pf tantalum capacitor. On the data sheet at this page 6E is a code for N330/I and 330 itself could mean 33pf, 33 with no digits behind it. I have no idea what 102 may mean.

As far as soldering it back together you should be hine depending on how large the component is, just make sure you don’t get the area or part too hot, it shuld be just a quick patch to reduce dat stress and possible damage. Go for it, what do you have to lose by trying?

Ugh…type much? It SHOULD be a quick patch to reduce HEAT stress…