DNA percentages

It’s often said that we share 99% of our genes with chimpanzees.

So I would extrapolate from this that the physical traits that make individual humans unique, like height, hair color and texture, eye color, facial features, skin color etc. are all variations within the remaining 1% of our genes, since these are all human traits which are dissimilar to chimpanzee traits (i.e. a human face looks nothing like a chimpanzee’s face)

And DNA evidence can now be used to conclusively (or very close) match biological evidence with the person who left it behind. Are these matches also based on that 1% of our DNA we’re talking about? Is the technology really that precise?

I have a related question about the fact that we get 50% of our genes from each parent, but I don’t know how to articulate it yet. Maybe some of the responses to this OP will educate me enough to form a proper question.

Recently discussed here.

Although you get 50% of your DNA from each parent, remember that one parent’s DNA is itself more than 99% similar to the other’s. It might also be expressed by saying that 50% of the variations in the DNA come from each parent, recognizing that most of the DNA is identical.

And regarding the rest of the question, yes, all the genetic variations between humans are produced by a relatively very small number of variations in the base pair sequences of the DNA. But because there are so many base pairs, it’s still a large number in absolute terms.

The majority of our DNA (perhaps even a large majority) does not code for any genes. The variation in this DNA is much greater since mutations rarely affect the fitness of the animal and are therefore not selected against. Perhaps criminologists use this “junk” DNA to positively identify people?