Do American stadiums show controversial replays?

I think some soccer replays in other countries are not shown to avoid rioting in the stadium - i.e., Frank Lampard’s non-goal against Germany in 2010. Do American stadiums do this too, or is the officiating error shown in all its glory?

My experience at college football stadia is that the play will be shown once.

I’ve seen that done at major league baseball games, often when the umpire’s call is under review.

In Major League baseball they do it all the time. Sometimes, you can see managers watching the replays on the screens before deciding whether to challenge – though they also have someone in the clubhouse watching the TV replays

Yep. You can get some intense booing if the crowd thinks the refs made the wrong call. Or a non-call on a non-reviewable play.

Memorably, I was at a Virginia Tech @ Georgia Tech game where a VT safety, after tackling a GT wide receiver, stood up and stomped on the Yellow Jacket player. With cleats. Refs missed it, but the camera didn’t, and the crowd sure as hell didn’t after the replay. Penalties aren’t reviewable but damn that was an unhappy stadium.

Sure… but sports crowds in the US don’t have a tradition of rioting in the stands, so I think they’re a little more apt to replay bad calls and the like than in Europe and other parts of the world.

They didn’t do it in Major League Baseball for years, but started doing it for calls that are under review.

I work on the video production for a major US college. If the play isn’t reviewed, the replay will be shown once at full speed. If the play is under review, the network replays will be shown on the video board.

In my observation the home team will replay a play favorable to them or one they got screwed on repeatedly, but if it’s not they’ll either hide the part everybody wants to see on their small scoreboard or not show it at all.

Does that apply for all colleges or just yours?

The NHL used to have a rule having controversial replays from being shown in the arena. Teams could be fined for violating it. I’m not sure if it still applies.

I recall reading somewhere that back during one of Billy Martin’s stints as manager of the Yankees, George Steinbrenner told the video guy to loop a replay of a call the umpire had gotten wrong. The umpire called out Billy to tell him to stop, and Billy replied that it was being done on George’s orders and he had no power to stop it.

This would seem to imply that it was not commonly done back then.

There is a difference between showing a replay and putting it on a continuing loop. My recollection is that they showed replays of close/exciting plays as soon as they had the capability to do so. Now, of course, with challenges allowed in baseball, hockey and football, they have dead time to fill while a review is going on so they can replay them more times.

I thought MLB used to have a rule against showing close replays on the jumbotron, but that must have changed now with challenges and reviews.

I’m not sure. I believe it’s a conference rule but I don’t know if all conferences have the same rules.

The jumbotrons were an issue when they were first used in major league baseball. The rebuilt Yankee Stadium had one in 1976, and umpire complaints caused the league to issue guidelines, which were to not replay close plays. The Yankees felt those at home get to see such plays, so since there was no rule prohibiting it, they would continue to show them. The issue came to head after a game in which a close play was not only shown on the jumboton, but the names of the umpires were flashed as well. The league office fined the Yanks for that one.

The following season, umpires staged a brief walk out during a game in Atlanta in which a controversial call was shown on the board. They returned after assurances that no close plays would be shown and no replays of pitches would be shown. In 1983, the major league umpires union threatened that they would shut down scoreboards and possibly forfeit games if teams showed controversial plays, citing a safety issue from fans throwing objects.

I don’t know what rules, if any, existed from the early days until MLB allowed plays to be challenged, but ballparks are currently not allowed to show any video of a challenged play until the umpires have reviewed the play and made the final call. Once that is done, the video used to confirm or overturn the play may be shown on the jumbotron.

Says who? I have watched scoreboard replays while those very plays were being reviewed.

And see here,

That link doesn’t work, but says nobody. I misread the rule, which actually prohibits showing replays other than the film that was used to confirm or change the call after the review decision was made (but not while it is being reviewed) as follows:

If there is specific video that allows a Replay Official to definitively conclude that the call should be overturned or confirmed (as opposed to letting the call stand in the absence of video that provides clear and convincing evidence to overturn it), the definitive video used by the Replay Official in making his decision will be sent to the ballpark (to be accessible by the television broadcasters and scoreboard operator). Otherwise, no further video from the challenged play may be shown at the ballpark after the Replay Review decision has been announced.