[QUOTE=Red Barchetta]
I’m torn! I recall when learning rudimentary grammatical skills in elementary school that one never uses a comma before the word “and” (this memory may or may not be an accurate reflection of what actually happened, but that’s what I recall).
I have since learned that a comma is okay to use when the “and” is the last in a series of objects (e.g. the car, the boat, and the tv), though it works without it as well. However, I’m curious as to which method is more acceptable?
Also, I’ve seen rather extensive usage of the word “and” when it merely acts as a conjunction between two clauses. Is that proper usage?
[/QUOTE]
Lots of comma rules, but I happen to like the serial comma (as in your example in the second paragraph). The method that’s more acceptable depends on what kind of writing you’re doing and what stylebook you’re using. A great many publishers, including the one I work for, use the Chicago Manual of Style, which recommends using the serial comma. For some reason I think the AP stylebook recommended against it, but I really don’t remember. There are situations where using it makes things much clearer than not.
The Chicago Manual’s index has almost a whole column devoted to references to the comma–“with adjectives preceding nouns,” “with clauses: dependent…; independent…; relative (restrictive and nonrestrictive),” “with compound predicate,” and so on. Even then it uses a lot of qualifying language. “When a noun is preceded by two more more adjectives that could, without affecting the meaning, be joined by and, the adjectives are normally separated by commas. But…”
This might be what you’re looking for on phrases joined with and:
“When independent clauses are joined by and, but, or *so, * or any other conjunction, a comma usually precedes the conjunction. If the clauses are very short and closely connected, the comma may be omitted.” (Chicago Manual of Style 6.32, p. 248) (Note again the use of qualifyers: usually and may be.)
“Everyone present was startled by the news, and one main fainted.”
“Timothy played the guitar and Betty sang.”