Do any branches of Islam reject the Hadith entirely?

Inspired by this thread on stoning/adultery:

Are there any fundamentalist branches of Islam that accept NOTHING but the Koran, and reject all else, including the Hadith? I’m thinking along the lines of the fundamentalist Christians we have here in the USA that only accept the Bible as the word of God and reject all other accumulated traditions (esp. those of the Catholic church, etc.).

I doubt it, Hadiths have instructions on many things that as far as I know, all Muslims follow, such as proscribed times for fasting, observing Ramadan, how and when to pray, how to wash for prayer, proper burial, etc.

The Shi’a (of which I am technically, if not dogmatically one) don’t follow the same set of Hadiths that the Sunni do, and also follow traditions from Ali and the other Imams.

There is a small, modern group who follow the teachings of the late Rashid Khalifa, who used numerology:rolleyes: to determine that he is the Mahdi, Qtub, or something. He also taught a Qur’an only doctrine, also backed up by numerology. Interesting stuff.

here

I’m not a great fan of the Hadiths, myself, as I believe them to fall into the category of human fallibility. I see them more as a source of guidance, to be taken with a grain of salt and weighed against the criteria of Compassion and Mercy.

Salaams,
Martin

Nizari Ismailis (also known as Aga Khani Ismailis or Aga Khanis), from what I have observed (which is not much) pay far more attention to the statements of their Imams (and their doctrines) than to what the ahadith may say.

Their perspective, I believe, is that what was written or revealed in the past needs an authoritative, inspired guide to explain the statements/text to the believers. Such a leader would be the living and current Imam. Following the Imam will permit one to remain in harmony with not only God’s revealed will in the past but also His revealed will in the present.

Another reason - and this is a WAG - may be disillusionment with the abuse of the hadith in the hands of religious clerics.

This doesn’t mean that Nizari Ismailis reject the ahadith but that less emphasis is placed on them.

I am sure, as Martin explained, there are Muslims who accept the Qur’an and reject the ahadith - but this would be a very small minority, since their stance would be considered heretical and un-Islamic by other schools of Islam. (And subject the civil prosecution/persecution depending on the country/society - especially since any statements against the ahadith would be considered statements against the Prophet Muhammad (sa), which would be blasphemy and punishable by death according to the shari’a.)

WRS

The way we work is this - Ismailis do not reject the Hadith, rather the Imam of the Time interprets the Q’uran and the Hadith so that they are relevant in this modern world. In this way they remain true to God’s revelations in the Q’uran, whilst “blending in” almost into any community in which they live.

The Imam interprets the faith of Islam in a way that is relevant for this day and age.