Do any hunters still wear that old-fashioned red flannel check coat?

I don’t hunt, and my flannel jacket has a different color scheme. I’d wear one of those if it presented itself though, they are lightweight and the perfect level of insulation for most of the winter in AR.

Cite?

Red and black plaid isn’t illegal, of course, just that when hunting big game most states require something blaze orange. If someone is wearing something other than orange as well as orange, red and black plaid isn’t the likely choice (for example, camo and orange).

Some of you people are getting too nit-picky here.

Well this is the Dope, and “illegal” has a very technical definition. I was certainly very confused when plaid was said to be illegal and I don’t believe a request for a cite or further information was unwarranted.

Susanann’s statement “pretty much made illegal” could carry an implication that the regulations requiring high-visibility gear effectively excluded other forms of huntingwear, if not by outlawing them then by having a practical effect of making their use somehow onerous, burdensome. They do not: it’s really a matter of the taste and fashion style of the modern-day hunter.

Had she said, “blaze orange gear has pretty much become universally mandated by law so red plaid has fallen into disuse” (which BTW she does proceed to explain why that would make sense), nobody would be asking for any cites.

Only if you are being picky. Plaid isn’t any more illegal than wearing green shoes is, but most people would realize that what was meant was something other than plaid is required (in fact, in the past red, including red plaid, was one of the required colors in some states, and later this was illegal if it was worn without an approved “safety” color).