Do Any Localities Ban Mundane Things?

Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA has a few mundane things banned within the town limits, neon signs being one of them.

There are several cities who already have or are in the process of banning saggy pants.

It seems like every contest in the world is banned in one state - I forget where, maybe Rhode Island? Anyway, every time McDonalds does Monopoly or something it’s “void in ___”.

In Pennsylvania, you cannot sell a car on a Sunday.

I have a recollection from when I was a kid (mid to late 70s) in Texas, the blue laws were such, in Houston, that you could buy nails but not a hammer, thread but not sewing needles.

I’m told that it is technically illegal to have backyard chickens in Colorado, even if you live on a farm, or well away from any town or other houses. No chicken farming in CO.

Portland banned the “snout house,” which is a move I’m firmly behind. It makes even brand new construction look like old houses and I think that rocks.

Bergen County, New Jersey has some of the strictest blue laws in the county (despite being part of the NYC metro area). Very few things can legally be sold on Sunday. Newspapers and magazines are allowed, books aren’t. Therefore while one can’t buy a Bible on Sunday it’s perfectly to buy the latest copy of Playgirl or Playboy. All in honor of the sabbath day.

I knew a guy who played for the New York Islanders NHL hockey team. He made millions of dollars but, being a good ole’ boy, he hung onto his pickup truck. The neighbors were like: “Uhhh… no.” He had to get rid of it.

Vermont banned highway billboards in 1968. (Car dealerships are still OK.)

In New York City it is illegal to own a ferret. Hasn’t stopped the ownership of ferrets, though.

In Britain, it’s illegal to die inside the Houses of Parliament, but since that isn’t mundane, it’s also illegal to wear a suit of armour outside (or inside, can’t remember) the Houses of Parliament.

I think the UK has quite a few really strange laws, but most of them are hundreds of years old and just haven’t been changed.

Oh and it’s also illegal in Liverpool for a woman to be topless unless they’re a clerk in a tropical fish store.
Now you know where I hang out on a Friday night.

Hollywood banned silly string by muni code. I guess silly is a sort of mundane… after a few minutes of use anyway.

Our town bans neon signs for “safety” concerns.

Our state banned the use of human silhouette paper targets.

Evanston IL used to outlaw takeout food. They had to serve it to you on a tray and you had to bag it yourself if you didn’t want to eat in.

That makes some sense since old cut trees are a fire hazard.

Quebec still bans the sale of coloured margarine. That was the case in PA when I was growing up. In PA it used to be illegal to play professional baseball on Sundays before 1PM or after 7PM. I can understand the before 1 part, but the after 7 never made any sense to me.

When I first moved to Massachusetts, I had to get a quick apartment in the Boston suburb Woburn, MA. It was against the law to stand up in a bar or restaurant with a drink in your hand and it was actually enforced. If you wanted to move to a new stool or table, a waitress had to pick up your drink and carry it for you. I think they overturned that ridiculous law in the late 90’s.

How on earth is this GQ? Maybe we should just rename it “Urban legends and making up shit” and be done with it. Otherwise I am calling BS on half the posts and demanding cites.

This one I’d like to see a cite for.

Personally most of what have read so far is plausable. I would like a cite for the no standing with a drink one though. Any hoo here is my cite for banned bunnies:
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/4790_8263_ENA_HTML.htm

IIRC, Rhode Island requires a state license to offer a game like McDonalds Monopoly in their state. Most companies just say to hell with it and don’t bother catering to such a small state.

I know this is GQ, but isn’t a national game “interstate commerce”? Surely it is, so why can Rhode Island have a say in it?

I can’t speak for the US, but in most European countries you have to pay an annual road tax. Paying this tax gives you the right to use the car on public roads and also the right to park. Since you don’t pay a road tax for the boat (or trailer, flowerbed, whatever), it is illegal to put it on the side of the road and you are liable for obstruction.

OK, Sailor. Here is a cite about standing up with a drink in Woburn, MA from a few years ago, Another Doper got caught by the exact same thing at the exact same place independently. Read it and think about it and then please reconsider.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=278601&highlight=woburn+fridays

When I was a child (about 8 years old or so, so around 1975), my mom and I went to Kmart to buy a punch bowl for my birthday party. It was a Sunday, so apparently Louisiana’s Blue Laws were in effect. Whole sections of the store were roped off because they contained items that you could not purchase on a Sunday. My mom’s attempt to get a punch bowl was fruitless and she even got the manager. His reasoning was that according to the Blue Laws, alcohol could be served in a punch bowl, therefore it was illegal to sell them on a Sunday.

Sailor, I hope you read that evidence and treat other Dopers with consideration in the future. It was an actual fact that you could not stand up with an alcoholic drink in Woburn, MA in the late 1990’s and maybe into the 2000’s and I just gave you a cite for it.