Do Britons (and I assume Canadians, Australians, etc.) All Have To Get New Passports Now?

But at least for the US, every note ever printed is still legal tender meaning I could take a 1863 15¢ note and use it as 15 cents in a store. Very different than currency that is valid meaning I can exchange it for a current bill.

Interesting, can the store refuse to accept it if they’re unsure of its legality?

Also, I realise US bank notes pretty much never get redesigned, but do they have additional security features added and have the materials used changed in line with current security standards you find in other country’s bank notes?

They can refuse to accept any denomination for any or no reason. As in English law, the concept of legal tender has nothing to do with shopping.

It’s only the $1 and $2 bills that never get redesigned. The others have changed a couple of times since the late 90s, with new designs and security features. The base material is still the same though, and it’s unlikely that it will change.

And the re-labelling process begins:

Whats wrong with a classic CIIIR?

CIIIR would mimic his mother’s, but previous kings have used multiple different styles. Charles III’s probably most closely resembles that of Edward VII.

The article says that he chose that cypher from several offered to him, much as a company will be offered various logos by a graphic designer or brand marketing firm so presumably this was his preference.

The Bank of England has now published the new designs of banknotes, for introduction as and when needed.

Just a bump for a topical anecdote:
I have just renewed my Australian passport in preparation for this trip and as of 1st March it was issued in the name of Queen Elizabeth II.

They’ve probably got a lot of existing stock to use up. I’ve just put in for a new passport, so I’ll see what happens here.

A Serbian colleague of mine renewed his passport in 2012 and it had Yugoslavia crossed out and Serbia stamped above. Those stocks can take a while to be used up!

I’ve just got my new UK passport - it mentions “Her Majesty” but there is no other reference to the monarch, so if the new monarch had been a queen you wouldn’t know which one it was referring to.

How much KEVIII money was produced?

What does that article say?

Didn’t we have to stop using shillings and florins in late '91 or early '92, when the new 5p and 10p coins were introduced?

VI not VII

Assuming Edward VIII was intended, the answer is - not a lot:

(The Sovereign’s image didn’t appear on notes, at least in the UK) until about 1960)

I keep reading that as “Kev 3”.

I think the only Edward VIII coins that actually circulated were certain colonial coins that had a hole in the center, which meant all they had was his title.

Back to passports - they turned round my renewal in a week*, and I note it’s one of Her Britannic Majesty’s old stock - and that some of the descriptive text is replicated in Welsh, Scottish and Irish Gaelic, French and Spanish.

*It helps to have the basic paperwork done online, with automated update notifications at each stage

It is astounding to me, in the third world, even though I am in a Commonwealth country, how fast that turnover is.

I foolishly let my UK passport expire. That meant a vast amount of original documents, including my maternal grandparents marriage cert, my mum’s birth cert, my dad’s death cert… pretty much everything imaginable. Plus, of course my old expired UK passports, I think I sent 3.

But my goodness, they were fast. Sent the docs via courier one day, got a minor query within 3 days, got a passport with all the orgininal supporting documentation couriered to me withing 3 weeks.

In comparison my application for South African citizenship - despite both my grandfather and father being born here - took about 2 years.

And that - the citizenship application - impressed me, because I was used to dealing with Zimbabwean bureaucracy

The UK govt website warns it may take 10 weeks. There can certainly be a backlog and delays in the summer season when so many people leave it till the last minute before they go on holiday.