Do Christians consider all people equal? Or are some, like the Pope, valued higher?

We often hear religions claim that they believe that all people are considered to be equal.

With the Pope’s health ailing, I was wondering if his life (or anyone elses)is considered to be worth or valued higher than anyone elses?

No.

He may be more important in the temporal sense, in the same way that a President’s death is more “important” than an ordinary citizen; but his individual worth (i.e., in the eyes of God) is no more valuable than anyone else’s.

in my experience, there are some “Christians” who absolutely feel others’ lives are more valuable. specifically, “good Christians”. i, on the other hand, believe that every single person alive, even non-believers or believers of other gods are just as important as i am or the pope is. we were all created by God and he loves us all.

that’s just me though

:slight_smile:

We’re all equally worthless. Some of us are just more equal than others.

Christ taught equality, he was extremely clear that the religious leaders the Pharisees we not better than anyone else and in fact had harsh words to say to them for being so self righteous.

He humbled himself by washing the feet of the disciples.

Also on many occaisions he said things such as “Love thy neighbour, as thyself” or “Judge not, left ye be judged” indicating everyone should be treated equally, no matter who they are.

Unfortunatly too many people like to think they are standing on moral high ground which makes them better than others. But i dont think any true christian, living only by the words of christ would think anyone is better than another. They may think someone has more valuable knowledge than another, or lives more according to god than another, but everyones soul is worth the same in the end.

Thats what i was taught as a young lad anyway…

The value that someone’s life has is purely subjective, and is based on the impact that that person has had on your life - when the Pope dies, his loss will be felt very keenly by millions of Catholics, not because he is a more valuable human being, but because for so many years he has been the visible figurehead of their faith and as such has had as much impact on their lives as their faith has.

And yet, it is interesting to note the value that we (as a society) place on different lives - a young life is perceived as more valuable than an old one, an artist or scientist more valuable than a vagrant, “family man” more valuable than “bachelor”, etc. I think we place value on people according to their perceived contribution to society at large, or their potential for contribution in the future. And we do this, while believing (at a core level) that all people are equal - I think these are natural instincts, to value and preserve that which makes our own lives better or could do so in the future.

Grim