Do crowns fit?

Were, or are, crowns shaped to fit royal’s heads? I’ve tried to put round bands on my head (damn Obama, that interloper), and it was very uncomfortable. But pictures from back in the day show metal, presumably gold, crowns fitting quite snugly on their wearers divine pates.
In pictures of Queen Elizabeh II her crown (the old bejeweled one) seems to fit her fetching head nicely, but I don’t know if that one is a metal ring.
I wouldn’t want her to suffer any unwarrented discomfort.
Your Highnes, feel free to jump in here.
Peace,
mangeorge

I would think that metal circlets would be fitted when they were made at least. I believe also that more ornate ones have cloth lining, and I’d think the fit on those might be more secure? Maybe they have jeweled hairpins to use? I seem to recall reading a mention of such somewhere, but whether it was actual or fictional I do not remember. :confused:

The ermine fur acts as an adjustable band. Gold is a soft metal…my guess is you just give it a hefty squeeze and “Bob’s your uncle!” perfect fit.

You have the key right there. The crown proper is not adjusted, but the “chapeau” – the ermine-fur liner that makes that large metal thing comfortable on the head – is configured for each successive monarch’s head.

The above is of course related to the actual crown, the circular-diadem-with-arches, such as the British St. Edward’s and Imperial State Crowns, the Hungarian St. Stephen’s Crown (up until 1918), etc.

Tiaras, coronets, and the like are modified for the individual wearer, by and large.

Henry V had a crown put on the outside of a battle helmet.

Could the Queen wear it whenever she wanted? I mean supposing she says “When I dust the palace I want to wear it?” Could she? I assume the British government and not the Queen herself owns the crown.

Could she be like? “Hey I’m running out to the 7-11 to get a slurpee, it’s cold outside, better wear the crown.”

Well, I do know that a monarch, before they’ve been crowned, has to wear it to accustom themselves to the weight – particularly, St. Edward’s Crown, some monarch’s didn’t even wear it at their coronation, wikipedia has all the details.

'Tho I think you may have it technically backwards – the crown jewels, like other crown property, don’t belong to the people of Great Britain, they belong to the Monarch. She’s supposed to be holding them in trust, for the realm, but on paper – they’re hers.

In practical terms, the court of the previous monarch tends to spend their time neutering away “high spiritedness” out of the heir apparent. They’re been some eccentrics, and downright insane monarchs, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a monarch wearing their crown for the fun of it, or say, using the seal of England to crack nuts. They mostly just waste money on castles and gifts for “friends”.

As I heard it on wikipedia, certain ranks of lords – barons, counts and duke, are allowed to wear certain, simple styles of crowns – simple gold bands for barons, for example. Wikipedia seemed to imply, that at a real important state function, like the coronation – they were required to do so. You can imagine, some lords, faced with day to day living, might not be able to afford a diadem, an ermine robe of the exact shade of blue, etc. So they maybe rented one, and you can expect it didn’t fit perfectly. Then I suppose, it’s time for all that “air of nobility” they’re supposed to culture. You’re in a chapel, for hours, wearing borrowed ropes you can’t even afford, that don’t fit, with a band of metal around your head, clamped over your temples, praying in Latin, which you don’t speak – trying to look like this is the greatest day of your life. You don’t fidget, or get cross with people, because the new monarch is looking around, planning appointments to posts. Bah, politics as usual.

I don’t know for sure, but from seeing her and her’s on PBS they have a different concept of “can” and “cannot”. The idea of doing such a thing as wearing the crown at the “wrong” time simply wouldn’t cross her mind, I think.
I think she might be the last.

I have noticed that anything I buy from GB that made by a company that serves the queen likes to put little crowns on all their products. for example, my hairbrush is made by Kent “The World’s Finest Brush Maker” and their is a crown on the brush and the fancy leather box it came in, and it reads “by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen” underneath a pretty large and flashy gilded crown. Pitchmen being what they are, I would imagine that anyone entitled to use the crown insignia does so, so that would mean that everything from Her Majesty’s knickers to her PJs have little crowns stamped or embroidered on them. I have always wondered if during the singing of the national anthem, she sings (in her head, of course) " God Save our Noble ME"

Yup - it’s supposed to be so heavy that’s it’s really uncomfortable. Well, an item that has 2868 diamonds, 273 pearls, 17 sapphires, 11 emeralds, and 5 rubies, plus all that gold, probably would be a little weighty. So I doubt Liz would want to wear it when she didn’t have to.

Won’t hair serve as a natural fitting for a crown? I can imagine a crown being rough on a shaved head, but with the right hair and hairdo, a circular metal ring around your head could be a lot more bearable.

A diadem (what you describe) might well be light enough to wear with nothing but hair for padding. However, the two main British crowns weigh 4.75# (St. Edward’s) and 2.1# (Imperial State) – which doesn’t sound like much until you remember it’s pressing down on your head, steadily, while you’re on public display. Some padding is necessary.

King Ralph liked to wear it in the tub.

I really doubt the Queen does much dusting of the palace.

But anyway, the crown isn’t there – they are kept with the other crown jewels in the Tower of London. So she would have to make arrangements to have them transported if she wanted to wear them around the house. That may take some effort – there is a lot of pomp involved with moving them for state occasions.

There’s a lot of pomp involved with sneezing in that world.

Those are Royal Warrants. Note that the Palace doesn’t get free swag by granting them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_warrant

There are several crowns available to British monarchs, which are used on various occasions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Jewels_of_the_United_Kingdom

Queen Victoria had a teeny-tiny crown made especially for her, and tended to use it to the exclusion of others in her later life. I don’t know how she kept it perched atop her head: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_diamond_crown_of_Queen_Victoria

mine fits.

If necessary, the St. Edward’s Crown and the Imperial State Crown are worn with a hidden wire frame which is moulded to fit the wearer’s head. This is concealed beneath the Cap of Estate, the ermine-lined hat-thing worn inside the actual crown.

Also, the Imperial State Crown (‘the old bejeweled one’) is itself only a wire frame into which the jewels are set and so it is easily adjusted to fit the head of each new wearer. Indeed, until relatively recently, the State Crown was usually broken up at the beginning of each reign and a new one created using the same jewels. That has created some confusion as to which ones were actually new and which merely adjustments. The remodelling of the present Imperial State Crown in 1953 was particularly extensive as the arches were lowered because it was felt that, given that the present Queen is rather short, this would look better.

The crown of a British queen consort (i.e. the wife of a king) is usually made from scratch, often using jewels from the crown of an earlier queen consort. So they always fit. The only reason that the crown of the Queen’s grandmother, Queen Mary, still survives is that she was still alive in 1937 and a new queen consort’s crown has not been needed since. Under other circumstances, it would probably have been cannibalised for a new crown.