Do I need to chill out in this GQ thread?

I’m not sure it ever got to the point to be concerned, but if it did get inflamed I think it was due to Excalibre’s change in tone rather early on.

Still, you handles yourself well and tried to focus the debate. You have nothing to regret. Sometimes because of the topic stuff just doesn’t go as well as you’d hope.

Excalibre

All’s I’m saying is this:

–I find I would hesitate to say “didn’t use to” when I’m being careful.
–It would be surpising if I were the only one.
–At first, I assumed my hesitation was one shared by most English speakers
–Later in the thread, I realized there may be at least two “subcommunites” of English speakers differentiated by this attitude towards this usage.
–I still think it would be very strange if there is not a substantial subcommunity (rather than just me, and a couple other guys) who share my intuition about the usage.
–I know there are others (for example you) who do not share my intuition. But I do not see the relevance of this fact. I do not see how this fact is supposed to contradict anything I’ve said.
–Now I see you, too, would hesitate (or think you ought to hesitate) to say “didn’t use to” when you are being careful in certain contexts. (This is how I understand you when you say you think “used to” and “didn’t use to” are casual usages.)
–So I’m even more confused–I can’t figure out how we disagree.
–You and I talking about these issues does not do anything at all to prevent you and I and others talking about those issues you mentioned as being ones you find more interesting.

-Kris

Well, I’m pretty sure Excalibre is also trying to focus the debate… its just our focusses seem to be out of alignment with each other! :slight_smile:

-Kris

Like I said, I didn’t see the big deal. Go take a gander at some of the GD and Pit threads. :eek:

And I merely tried to point out that that was not likely to be true. Examine my first post - I questioned your suggestion that it was a trait of standard English in general.

Excellent. Then there is nothing more to discuss.

I didn’t say there wasn’t. I did not claim my own usage was universal.

It contradicts the implication that you made in your posts that you were describing some particular feature of standard English. I don’t doubt that some people feel as you do. However, not all standard English speakers do; that was the only point I argued with you about. I’m not sure why you’re now trying to claim that the entire point of disagreement is somehow irrelevant. If you examine my first post, you can tell that I didn’t think it was a particularly important matter at that point; it was only with your much longer reply and your misbegotten attempts to “summarize” my posts that an argument began.

Dear me, you must have forgotten your own argument. You claimed that “didn’t use to” is confined to even more informal uses than “used to” in standard English; I pointed out that I would use them in precisely the same environments in my speech. I don’t have any distinction in between the two phrases in their formality. Clearly you do. I posted in order to point out that your formulation is not universal. Clearly there is at least one exception; I suspect I’m not entirely alone.

Given how thoroughly the thread has been diverted into irreleventia, I would say that it probably does.

Well shit man, then shut up then! :smack:

LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ve shown me my initial intuition wasn’t universal. I’ve (already) agreed with you. We (should have already) parted as friends. That’s (as you’ve said) the end of it!

Holy cow! :dubious: :smack: :stuck_out_tongue:

-Kris

Even without reading the thread, I’d say a policy of chilling in GQ is a good idea.
I used to feel different.

:smiley:

Just to let you know, this has changed my life for the better.

[emphasis added].

Excalibre, if you like drama, this sort of thing works well. But if you’re interested in furthering the conversation, when someone misrepresents your post, it may be well to give them the benefit of the doubt and politely correct their misrepresentation, assuming that they simply misunderstood what you were trying to say.

You originally wrote:

Frylock interpreted that as your meaning that:

Yes, he missed the part where you said that “used to” and “didn’t use to” were “a bit casual,” but I think you could have clarified that with a simple note, and thereby avoided all the fighting and derailment in that thread and the starting of this one. If you like this sort of thing, awesome. If not, give folks the benefit of the doubt when correcting misapprehensions of your posts.

Daniel

As well as the part where I said that “didn’t use to” could be used in every context that “used to” could be, which carries the obvious implication that this context is limited. So I explicitly said, as you acknowledge, that they could not be used in all contexts. I also implicitly said it. On the other hand, nothing I said that I can see supported his interpretation of my words.

While giving the benefit of the doubt is a wonderful thing, it rather boggles the mind for me to try to imagine how that could be anything other than a deliberate strawman.

You can only give the benefit of the doubt if some doubt exists. Frankly, I don’t see any, because I can see no honest interpretation of my words that could lead to what Frylock said. Now that you’ve called my attention to it again and I’ve considered it afresh, I’m more convinced that I was right. I’m glad Frylock desisted in that particular argument tactic.

That, I think, shows a failure of imagination on your part, more than any failure on the part of Frylock’s honesty. Of course the meaning is obvious to you: you wrote the words, and you just went back and perused them carefully. You need to try to put yourself in the position of someone who didn’t write the words and who read them carefully, making a mistake in interpretation. It happens to the best of us, that we misinterpret someone else’s words.

I think you’re too quick to read dishonesty into other folks, and that’s really insulting to them, and it starts arguments where none need exist.

Daniel

Curse you Gaudere’s second cousin! This should be didn’t read them carefully. Blame Frylock for reading too quickly, sure. But not for deliberate dishonesty.

Daniel

It is the nature of communication that the message sent is not always the message received.. That principle doesn’t assign blame and neither should we when we are trying (unsuccessfully) to get a point across. Sometimes it is difficult to judge our own liabilities.

Did anyone else find this post funny:

Gee, Excalibre, glad to know that you’re not putting so much “time and energy” into this “trivial issue” and “tiresome” thread.

Gee, Zoe, that might make sense had Frylock not started an entirely different thread to discuss the matter in the interim.

Based on the quoted OP for this OP, it just jumped in my head:
“I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.”

- Mitch Hedberg