Do Japanese trains still use "pushers"?

I guess they do get in trouble.

My GF is a native New Yorker having spent her whole life there till moving to Chicago three years ago. I mentioned this thread to her while riding home earlier tonight but I did not mention the question you responded to. On her own she offered the following anecdote (heavily paraphrased but the essentials are right…my commentary in brackets as I understood her meaning):

*"I was riding home on the subway and the cars were packed [by our standards].

This little old [I got the sense “old” in this case was 50-60 and not grandma] Japanese woman forced her way onto the train and the doors closed. A few seconds later the doors re-opened and this big guy standing next to me shoved the lady out of the train, unceremoniously landing her on her ass on the platform.

The woman picked herself up, obviously shocked, and left [did not try to get back on the train]."

I asked my GF why she didn’t shove the big guy off. She said it occurred to her but, well, he was big and my GF is petite. She tried to glare at him in disapproval but he studiously ignored my GF and other passengers.

Guess it shows how people from different societies can clash while doing what seems normal to them.

And the train station at the beginning of the line usually has markings for two sets of lines per door - the next train and the train after. If you’re near the front of the line for the 2nd train, you can usually get a seat. My mother does this all the time - the chance to sit down and take a 40-minute nap is well worth the extra 5 minutes of waiting.

Those train cars are still in use.

The 6-door train car that you linked to is one that features the retractable seats.

That’s pretty much what happens here in Montreal, in my experience. If there’s no room to simply squeeze out, the people by the door will step off and stand to the side, and people on the platform usually let them back on first. There aren’t really lineups on the platforms, though, and a lot of people will just cut ahead of others in order to get on. It annoys me deeply.

OTOH, we do line up for buses at bus stops, and I hear that isn’t all that common elsewhere.