Do Mosquitos Hate Me?

I pretty much never get bitten by mosquitos and on the bizarre occasion that I do, I rarely get itchy and the little bump that forms from the bite disappears by the next morning at the latest. I have another friend that also never seems to be bitten. Both of us have noticed that we have had mosquitos land on us and not bite. Sometimes they fly off, and other times we whack it before it has a chance.

For those who think I’m just in areas where there aren’t mosquitos, I’ve had numerous times when people were complaining about how many mosquitos were around, and I just poked fun at them because the bugs weren’t bothering me.

What’s the story? Do I have some chemical in my blood that tells the insects to look somewhere else?

Brian

If you take vitamin B or zinc, you won’t be as tasty to bugs as the average person. Also, If you smoke cigarettes you are less likely to be bitten. There is no scientific evidence that I can quote to prove this, but in my experience people who did any of the above three were almost immune to bug bites.

“Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true” -Albert Einstein

I haven’t been taking Vitamin B or Zinc (unless I’ve been eating high-Vitamin B or Zinc foods all of my life) and I don’t smoke. Any other ideas, though?

I do recall that as I child (under 10 years old), I used to be bitten by mosquitos constantly, but after 3rd or 4th grade, I was never really bothered by them again.

Maybe it’s just that when I am in high mosquito areas, the people near me are just much more tasty…

Brian

I have the opposite problem. I get eaten alive while everyone around me gets ignored. Also, I react severely with huge welts.

Any other suggestions beside starting smoking, B vitamins and zinc? I hate using insect repellant.

Let me put in my 2 cents worth. I’ve noticed I often do not get bitten much when the person with me is being eaten alive. My theory has to do with the amount of CO2 and sweat the person is giving off (since that is what attracts bugs in the first place). I’ve found the person who is being bitten is typically (let me be polite) “larger” and more out of shape than I…and therefore is perspiring more and breathing heavier than I am when doing the same thing.

Don’t eat bananas. Mosquitos apparently love the smell. Even well after you finish eating them, your sweat and breath smells like bananas and the 'squitos, I’ve been told, go crazy for that stuff.
Alphagene

Ah, an area of expertise for my. My list of qualifications.

1. I am a former camp counselor
  2. Across the street from me is a protected wetland.
    You could say I have a Masters in Mostiqology.

If you want to avoid mosquitoes listen to me:

Avoid perfumed shampoos, deoderants, body lotions, hair spray, hair goo, lip balm, scented laundry degerent, scented laundy static cling sheets. Bugs are attracted to smells. Having cut out all of the above in my life from April - October, I rarely am bothered.

2, before going outside spray yourself with Off (or similiar) Wear a baseball cap sprayed with the stuff.

1. Mosquitoes lurk from dusk to dawn, wear long sleeves and long pants if you can. Sock are a good idea too. Don’t forget to spray your wrists, socks and neck , the pulse points, to avoid getting bitten.

2. Take two tablets of brewer’s yeast daily. It puts a coating of sorts across your skin that you cannot feel or smell, but the bugs can. This was told to be by two seperate sources: a former drill instructor for the Marines at Le Juene. AND a vet for my dog who takes them for himself and his rovers. Having tried the brewer’s yeast on myself while working at a camp on Lake Huron, I can attest that within a week, I never had a problem with the bug and I never wore bug spray. It probably should be noted that bugs do not like campfires and I would also get my sweatshirt in the smoke of a newly lit fire (as all conselors would) to help dispel the breatures.

WE are all pilgrims on the same journey - but some pilgrims have better road maps.

Hmm, interesting speculation about the fragarances. As you mentioned, I avoid virtually all fragrant products (hair spray, cologne, etc.)

Maybe next time I’m by the woods, I’ll do a control test and throw on something fragrant to see if the bugs come after me.

Brian