Do most kids have their own rooms?

These sentences contradict one another.

Since you mention Spain in your post, in English we use the word “niece” to refer to the daughter of a sibling.

i’m 30, and grew up with one basically the same age as me (13 months apart) brother, in tampa-ish, florida, where i still live. we both always had our own room. grew up in 3 bedroom houses, so never had a guest room or office or anything. most of my friends had similar living conditions, but some of them shared, like my best friend growing up who had a sister and two brothers. the two girls and two boys shared rooms.

I shared with either my older or younger brother until I was 12. Then we moved to a bigger house. I knew plenty of families with more than 3 kids (this was the old days), and sharing was quite common.

I’m the youngest of six, and my grandmother lived with us. With four bedrooms, someone was always sharing. I remember sleeping in a crib in my parents’ room. I also remember an arrangement where my grandmother and oldest sister shared a room, my brother had a bedroom to himself, and the three youngest girls shared a bedroom. I finally got a bedroom to myself when I was 14.

ETA: I’m 54.

I’m 31, and grew up in the Montreal suburbs.

There were three of us in a room before my parents half-finished the basement and made themselves a bedroom down there. My brother was in a crib and my sister and I had bunk beds. Then my sister and I shared a room and my brother got his own.

We moved to a bigger place when I was 10ish and we each got our own room, because the place was huge.

I’m female, and have one brother. We never shared growing up. I have one boy and one girl, and they don’t share. If I had another child, I’d probably make whichever gender was doubled up share a room even though we have a spare room. I want to use that space for other things and I don’t think sharing will hurt them.

My ex-MIL only had two children living at home at one point, and she made them share a room even though she had a four bedroom house. She believed it was good for kids to share a room (plus she was a bit of a hoarder and used the two unoccupied bedrooms to store stuff).

Five children in a three bedroom house. Shared my room with 2 brothers

I shared a room with my sister until I was about 9. We had another bedroom, but it was used as the playroom for my mom’s home daycare. Since then I’ve always had my own room (except at my first apartment which was a 1-bedroom, and I slept in the living room and my baby had the bedroom, not because I’m super nice but just because it worked out better). My daughter is now 12 and she’s always had her own room. But does she appreciate it? Nooo, she thought she should get the master bedroom in our current apartment. (And I said hell no.)

I think when I was little most of my friends had their own rooms. One had 8 siblings though and she definitely had to share.

I’m 30, live in Seattle.

I am HUGE on having my own space. Like pathologically so. This is why I must never go to prison.

I always wondered why my childhood friends, Wally and the Beav, had to share a bedroom when the house they lived in was practically a McMansion.

TV kids are always having to share rooms when it makes no sense. Like on Modern Family. Those people have a big fancy house and there are only 3 kids in the family. No way is that a 3 bedroom house.

I think it was the norm in my suburban Midwest US neighborhood ca. 1950s & 60s for each child to have their own room after the first few years. It was a middle class neighborhood, from lower-mid to upper-mid, but I can’t remember any families with more than 4 kids at once, so that would have meant only a 4 BR house, not really mansions. Some families fixed up basements or attics into spare rooms, and most houses were from 5 to 25 years old then, so it was a relatively young, expanding, bedroom community.

30 years old. I shared a room with my 2 sisters, and our older brother had his own room. It stayed that way until our brother moved out and one of my sisters took his room.

Our neighborhood was mostly made up of funky river cabins that weren’t very big. The only kid in our neighborhood that had her own room was an only child.

I’m big on personal space, but I guess because of sharing with my sister all those years, I consider bedrooms to be the place where you store clothes and sleep and sit in misery when you pissed off Mom. Of course, in those days (I left home in '73) it was rare for kids that I knew to have TVs in their rooms and computers were the stuff of sci fi. Our little house had a basement, and that’s where our toys were kept - there was really no space in the bedrooms for much more than 2 beds, a small desk, and a chair, especially since my mother had fits if we put anything under the beds.

To this day, I view the bedroom as the place to sleep and store my clothes. I watch TV there only to help me fall asleep. I’m guessing this point of view was formed way back on Amuskai Road…

Gosh, I am so grateful you told me. It is also perfectly acceptable to refer to multiple nephews and nieces as “nephews”, promise.

I’ve been promoting the use of the word “niblings” these last few years. Coined by a doper!

In English? No it’s not.

If you had children that were a boy and a girl, would you refer to them as your “sons”?

See, you get snarky with me, and then you fall on your face.

Maybe there is a god…

No, there really isn’t.

Incorrect.