Do most kids have their own rooms?

My brother was an only for a long time, so he had his own bedroom, but then I came around so they walled off an empty chunk of the basement that was just storage/play/etc.

I fought hard for a half bath to get installed in the basement, especially since there was enough room around the existing plumbing down there, but it never happened.

I think so. I never would have been able to do the dorm thing. My brother was out of the house before I hit double digits, so I had the whole basement to myself, plus it was a farm so I had everywhere outside. I could save a couple hundred bucks a month if I got a roomie, but I’d go nuts.

I am the second of four girls. We shared one bedroom and two beds in a two bedroom, one bathroom house. We would switch off sleeping partners, and often slept three in a twin bed. When the little ones were still little, we could also fit three in the bathtub.

My brother and I shared a room, and my parents had a guest room and an office they never used. I resented it.

I was one of three, and we grew up in an old house that our great-grandfather had built. I shared a room with my sister for a few years, and then my parents converted the formal living room into a room for me. My new bedroom had gold carpet and a crystal chandelier, and the curtained french doors behind my bed looked into the dining room, but it was all mine!

I didn’t have my own room (last of 4 kids), shared with my brother, but my only daughter has had her own room since she was a baby.

My mom’s sister had 4 kids in one bedroom. 2 girls in one bed and 2 boys in a different one. I think the house was about 900 sq ft with one hall bathroom. It wasn’t a problem because the 4 kids were only a year or so apart in ages. The boys started sleeping on a hide-a-bed in the living room as teenagers, but they continued using the bedroom to keep their clothes and stuff.

I had my own bedroom. I guess it’s more common these days with bigger houses. 900 to 1400 sq ft was very common when I grew up. Isn’t about 2000 sq ft average today for new home construction?

Yeah, don’t think we’re particularly feminist or anything, but “nephews,” “brothers,” “sons,” “husbands,” etc. never includes the female counterparts, or at least I’ve never heard it that way. Siblings, cousins, in-laws, spouses, yes. “Nephews and nieces” is what you’d hear.

ETA: or more likely “nieces and nephews,” since we’re so damned chivalrous.