Do non americans feel suckered by the war on terrorism

China last waged an aggressive war in 1979. That’s not so long ago. And their military buildup is proceeding at a rather brisk pace.

But like I said, any nation that wants out of the alliance is welcome to get out. France did it in the 50s, but they also made sure to build up their own substantial defense. At least they aren’t under the foolish illusion that they will never be threatened again.

It is especially galling coming from an Australian after Bali. This war is your war too.

Remember that Osama hates you for what you did in East Timor.

That’ll require a cite.

I note that you’ve switched to a terrorism argument.

What exactly is the U.S. doing to prevent a repetition of what happened in Bali? Precisely nothing, it seems to me.

Australia did what was necessary in East Timor. The U.S. did what?

The actions of Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld in Iraq come across like a bunch of dim-witted teenagers jerking off while throwing rocks at a hornet’s nest.

The China that you seem to regard as a menace is increasingly seen as a desirable regional power based upon its friendly and non-threatening diplomacy and actions in marked contrast to US belligerency.

Asian Leaders Find China A More Cordial Neighbor

And in any event she has no real history of aggression outside territory it regards as historically belonging to her, and even the “aggressive” war of 1979 was one triggered by a treaty obligation ie towards Cambodia which was herself invaded by Vietnam. In short China isnt coming.

What war on terrorism ?

France, where I live has been (and is) variously targeted by GIA, ETA, Armata Corsa, Action Directe etc over the years. Terrorist action has waxed and waned. Intensive police action against these and other extremist groups has been a constant (excepting a few political compromises). I am not aware of the US having affected this situation.

Terrorism is a method, not a monolithic political ideology or group. I’m not sure how you would go about making war on a means of expression. Groups which employ terrorism are at war with established power structures by their very nature.

The current US govt claims to be making war on state sponsors of terrorism - Afghanistan OK, Iraq ? Give me a break.

As for internal security measures, well, Israel, which probably practices the most stringent security measures of the developed nations, suffers from constant high profile terrorism - not getting into cause and effect, just pointing out that repressive security doesn’t work very well.

The 9/11 attacks gave a few governments the opportunity to flex their authoritarian muscles, and increase security budgets, but I’m not aware of any US pressure coming into the equation.

As for mutual defence alliances, well I guess they hold up as long as the nations involved continue to share common goals…

In the 80’s france commited an act of terrorism in NZ. That was the French govt. No bugger helped us yet we still helped and help when asked.

We are likely to get more trade from China then the US.

We still have troops in Afganistan and Iraq though.

No terrorist threats are imminent.

WELL SAID.