Do Old People Really Fall, Break A Hip, Then Go Downhill

The treatment of broken hips has improved greatly in the past 100 years. By putting a pin in the break and immobilizing the fracture site, patients can become mobile much earlier. This reduces the chances of blood clots leading to strokes and heart attacks, and promotes deep breathing.

Before the surgery became commonplace, the ONLY solution was complete bedrest, and any movement which caused the broken bone to shift (such as turning for a bedpan, or sheet changing) and resulted in horrific pain. The person would conclude that moving as little as possible for ANY reason was the best way to go.

As a result, blood clots would develop in the legs and break off to travel to the heart or brain, or the inability to breathe deeply would encourage pneumonia. Pre-antibiotic days meant pneumonia would cause a rising fever and death would soon follow.

The old family doctors often called pneumonia “the old peoples’ friend.”

Recovery these days depends a LOT on the attitude of the person with the busted hip. Active participation in physical therapy and a DESIRE to return to “normal life” will promote a faster recovery than someone who just wants to sit back. Physical therapy HURTS, and many simply do not want to work past the pain.
~VOW

and pressure ulcers, AKA bed sores,

CMC fnord!

My grandmother died 3 weeks ago. Saturday afternoon she broke her pelvis and she passed away Monday morning right when they were wheeling in the machines that go bing :frowning:

Clarence Bass is proof this. Look at his pic when he was 70 years old.

First, you have to define “elderly.” I’m 74. I have a few friends older than I who run and work out. One person I know is 83 and does triathlons. If you define “elderly” as over 60, my list of people who I know who do even more than I is endless: marathons, triathlons, ultra-marathons, etc.

So, I don’t believe people who are “pretty healthy go downhill so quickly once they break a hip.”
I ripped my calcaneous tendon (Achilles tendon) from the bone a few years ago. I was on crutches for some time and then on a walking boot. I lost a total of four months, and resumed just about where I left off. (I was able to swim with the boot.) After testing the strength of my calf muscles 4 months postop, the orthopedist was amazed how much strength I still had in those muscles. Reluctantly, he released me with no restrictions, including playing tennis, but not to play tennis games for a while. (I did actually start playing tennis games after one or two days of just hitting.)

Not to mention the fact that a lot of this recovery time is taking place at a hospital or long-term care facility of some sort, both of which are great places for the spreading of infections among patients. Bugs like influenza, pneumonia, Staph, and C. diff., many of which carry antibiotic resistance already and are pretty dangerous to folks whose defences are impaired.

None of this is comparable to the complete immobility that arises from a broken hip. Crutches and a walking cast means you are walking. And the percentage of elderly people who are athletes, or who even work out heavily, is miniscule. Obviously, the more fit you are, the better able you are to withstand debilitating injury.

I’ve been trying to find a cite for this–I know I just saw it in some patient brochure or Web page about osteoporosis a week or so ago. When the bones begin to become fragile, the part of the femur just below the hip socket is one of the most vulnerable points for breakage.

Rare to have COMPLETE immobility, with today’s orthopedic surgical techniques with pins and plates and even complete hop replacement The object is to get the patient up and moving almost immediately. Restricted movement, yes, but there is physical and respiratory therapy as part of the surgical recovery.
~VOW

I don’t understand why this is such a mystery. The body has a limited life span. Elderly people are on the downward slope of this span. Anything, let alone something as drastic as a hip fracture, would accelerate this decline. An older body doesn’t have the regenerative powers of that of a 19 year old.

Your last sentence, although true, is a non sequitor.