Do people really pronounce URL as "earl"

I say ‘earl.’ I’ve always said ‘earl,’ ever since the internet first came to my attention.

jiff is peanut butter

gif is an image

Ask Elbridge Gerry, VPOTUS under Madison who hashad it bastardized into jerrymander.

(alumnus of the Elbridge Gerry Elementary School)

I say “earl” and “jiff” and “jay peg”, but I usually say “ess cue ell”.

“mow dumb” sounds DAF to me. It stands for “Modulate/demodulate” and we don’t say “Mowedulate Demowedulate.” =)

I say “You Are El.” and when my users stare at me blankly, continue, “Web address.” :slight_smile:

No he doesn’t. His name is pronounced closer to Lee-nus or Lee-Noos. He pronounces Linux with a short i, as Len-ux.

FAQ is still pronounced “fack,” right? (Oh dear.)

FAQ is eff ay que

GameFAQs is game facks

Considering that the folks who came up with the protocol wanted it pronounced “sexy”…

And don’t forget dubdubdub (www)

Si

You mean the way the creators said it was pronounced? :dubious:

My brother in law pronounces it wee-fee, Runs With Scissors. I’ma punch him in the head! (NB: Might be a cumulative response there)

People take the piss out of me for saying “dub dub dub”* for “double-you double-you double-you”, but it makes sense! Otherwise the abbreviation is feeking well longer.

• “You’re one of those people who redundantly pronounces websites with the www prefix like it’s 1992, aren’t you. Get off my internet”, you say? Aha! Not so. It comes up a lot in web development, quite legitimately, when you’re discussing DNS and propagation issues and why the hell can’t I see my website yet, you cowboy. Et cetera. Really.

Ciggy-bin. That’s one I like. I’m pretty indifferent on url / U.R.L (It would be “url”, with a “urrrr”, round here. “Earl” would be a totally different pronunciation)

Try “Six-U” instead.

Out here on the left coast I’ve never heard it pronounced “earl.” But honestly I don’t how often I hear it said, regardless.

You are el

Linus Torvalds is Finnish.

They probably said “earl” too :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, but his first language and cultural background are Swedish, just like over 5% of the population of Finland and including individuals such as CGE Mannerheim and Jean Sibelius. I don’t know what the Finnish equivalent of “Linus” is, but I’m going to guess it has a couple of extra vowels.

I think the pronunciation of Linux was also influenced by Minux or Minix or whatever that earlier flavour of Unix for microcomputers was called.

BTW the wikipedia article on Linux has a sound file of Linus Torvalds pronouncing Linux.