Do people really want IRS-Care?

A mite touchy there, aren’t you, Slim? I lived in Tucson, and I went to the doctor at any time, but I was a brat living on Davis-Monthan AFB. Perhaps your circumstances were similar, perhaps not, but the question remains: is it your contention that your happy condition and mine are universal amongst our fellow citizens? Of course, if you were simply waxing nostalgic and not intending any comment on this discussion, I will happily withdraw the question.

(Do they still paint gravel green, spread it all over and call it a “lawn”?)

The Bush Administration attempted to outsource our entire federal agency. We won more than 95 percent of the outsouring bids because we can do it better, faster, cheaper than private enterprise. Of the remaining bids that were outsourced, almost all failed and the work was returned to the government because the winning bidders were more interested in ripping off the taxpayers than actually do the work for the taxpayers.

Much as I hate to burst an OP’s bubble…
Medicare/SSN has worked quite well for my folks, among others. I’m not saying they’re perfect, but so far they’ve been helpful and very efficient.

I couldn’t help laughing when one of the Tea Partiers held up a protest sign that said “Keep the Guvmint out of my Medicare.”

Lucky you! Too bad so many of your fellow countrymen are not so lucky. But they were probably lazy and shiftless anyway, so just forget them.

Not quite, but you’re actually closer to the truth than you might imagine! Each province has a board that looks into what procedures are funded. The board consists of reps from government (who are often doctors) and reps from the provincial medical association, and reps from the public. Decisions are public and published. They are uniform for everyone - there is no bureaucrat who looks at each patient on a case-by-case basis to look for reasons to deny them.

So if you go to the doctor and want magic powder treatment for your warts… you’ll probably have to pay for it yourself - not covered. Facelift for your ugly mug - not covered. Ditto for leeches on your face. Not covered. Also, if you are a 90 year old cancer patient with a heart problem - you will likely not get a knee transplant. So you are technically correct - you cannot get everything you want. Just good medicine. No pony for you.

Do you really want to defend the quality of the public school system?

You lost me right there. If this were really true, there wouldn’t be government.

My kids are getting a great education in the public schools. If we could convince the Republicans to stop “starving the beast”, the public schools would be even better.

I’ve studied my micro and my macro, and am off to my managerial. Yet, these elementary principles you speak of are new to me.

“price controls cause shortages”

-only when the ceiling is below market price

“mandating coverage increases costs”

-even if it’s price controlled, like it is in that first one?

Show me where these principles are stated in any elementary economics curriculum and I will eat my words with the gravy of your superiority.

Clearly you are not. Because those of us who actually understand macroeconomics don’t fall for that hoary old line that the government always makes things worse. I believed that when I was a kid, but at some point realized that there was no economic logic behind the assumption.

Wait, adding leeches or removing them?

I guess this Nobel prize winner must not understand basic economics, then.:rolleyes:

What people really want is to stop hearing hypocrites reduce things to cutesy nonsense like “death tax”, “death panels”, “IRS-Care.”

The one thing right-wing hypocrites seem to agree on is that Americans are very stupid and very gullible.