Do people who have 'recovered' from the coronavirus still show residual health problems?

Hi

Do people who have ‘recovered’ from the coronavirus still show residual health problems?

I look forward to your feedback.

I just saw this video. It doesn’t look positive.

A cough can persist for a long time after just a common cold. I don’t see the video as cause for alarm.

There’s nothing on this video that would concern me.

Nobody even mentioned anything about persistent problems. Have you heard any credible reports suggesting long term effects of coronavirus infection?

How would we know?

We don’t yet have any significant number of people known to have recovered from this years ago, if we even have any.

It’s extremely common to have lingering effects for a few days or weeks after any significant illness. I’ve been knocked out for weeks after a flu, and also after a case of pneumonia that, like the flu, wasn’t bad enough to need to go to the hospital for. I wouldn’t call that “long-term effects”.

I was just looking at SARS in Wikipedia, and noticed this:Several consequent reports from China on some recovered SARS patients showed severe long-time sequelae. The most typical diseases include, among other things, pulmonary fibrosis, osteoporosis, and femoral necrosis, which have led to the complete loss of working ability or even self-care ability of these cases.

But how would you know that they weren’t already going to get that?
It’s not that SARS caused it but they were already going to have those issues
and we’re just picking on SARS as the reason.

Maybe I break my leg and recover from it but then later on I go bald…and now I’m accusing a broken leg for causing baldness.

Some 60,000 have already recovered worldwide. Nobody has reported any serious
problems after other than a few getting reinfected. Some have already recovered nearly 2 months ago so if there were serious repercussions, I’m sure you would have heard about it by now.

First, you look to see if the percentage of people in a similar demographic are getting those problems more or less often than SARS survivors.

Sure, someone who is 90 - they might have been on the way to all that anyway. But if someone is, say 25 it would be highly unusual for all that to happen at that age.

Two months is NOT “long term”. It’s still too early to know.

Some viruses linger permanently in your body, either resurfacing as a recurrence of the same symptoms (ex. herpes) or as a brand-new and very different set of symptoms (ex. chickenpox as a kid -> shingles as an old retiree) although I do not know if this particular virus belongs to a “family” of viruses that tends to recur in n either manner. In other words, dunno if coronavirus in general comes back.

But I can tell you that newly discovered (or suffered) viruses just aren’t as well known and haven’t been around long enough for any data to accumulate yet. When my husband was hospitalized with West Nile virus, I asked his infectious disease doc - who I understand is one of the best in the state - if we could look forward to either the virus symptoms coming back periodically, or god forbid some weird new rash or like your hair turns purple or some shit. I was asking on my own selfish behalf as well, since I’d also had the virus.

She shrugged, silent, and her face showed clearly how frustrating that was to her. Plus, I don’t even know if I have a ticking time bomb in me or not. As decades go by and West Nile survivors such as myself do - or don’t - go on to exhibit recurring symptoms, then you’ll know too. Ditto coronavirus.

We all get to find out together in real time!

When you get out of hospital, you are never well. You are just well enough that you don’t need hospitalization anymore.

Thank you purplehorseshoe. It’s been bothering me that the hysteria over the Covid-19 may have something to do with the fact that the disease may linger in the body and recur at a later date, despite the fact that large numbers of people ‘recover’. But those who have recovered may be asymptomatic and pass it on to others (or am I mistaken on this point??). The other point is whether any vaccine is useful with a virus that is mutating. Right now there seem to be 2 variants of the virus. A further disquieting aspect of this virus is that social distancing to avoid it will become the new norm.

Do you have some objective reason to think COVID-19 infections might behave this way? I haven’t seen anything to suggest that.

Nonsense.

I have recovered entirely and completely from my two stays, and am now in the best of health except for arthritis.

I thought Melbourne’s point was that patients aren’t typically kept in the hospital until they’ve recovered 100% from their ailments…rather, they’re discharged when they’ve recovered enough to continue their recovery outside the hospital. It wouldn’t make economic sense to take such expensive care of someone who doesn’t need it. In other words, it’s not that you’ll never make a fill recovery after a hospital stay—just that you’ll be discharged at 92%, not 100%.

Taiwanese TV stations (according to my Taiwanese wife) are reporting that older male patients in Wuhan that have recovered from the worst of the effects of the virus apparently have severe lung damage. Personally, I’m inclined to think that this damage was already present due to heavy smoking by these individuals and living in one of the worst centers of air pollution in the world.

This. 100% correct.

LOL. Exactly my point. There is NO conclusive evidence that this virus lingers on and recurs later OR that it has caused other long-term problems directly. SARS, MERS, and COVID-19…not entirely different viruses. If there were lingering effects, we’d all know by now from SARS and MERS. Lingering effects is also present in many other diseases and ailments. It’s not like COVID-19 is special in this regard.

For me, I think most of what is out there is panic and “death sentence” mentality and fear mongering because when you don’t know or understand something, you tend to let all the worst thoughts come to the surface.

Precaution and preventative measures are definitely a must, but at the same time, life inherently is risky and I don’t want to live life in fear and be afraid to hug my kids that someone is going accuse me of molestation, or touch my coworkers and be afraid that I’d be accused of sexual harrassment, etc. We are living in such non-human ways now that I think we almost should prepare to just check out and get ready to transfer over to a digital existence…that’s how afraid people are to just live and die. Remember when kids ate dirt or we could pick something off the floor and dust it off and just eat it? Now we can’t even look at someone for longer than 3 seconds without being charged for sexual harrassment.

This might be of interest: Some COVID-19 patients test positive days after recovery.

Exactly. This is a coronavirus. Other coronaviruses cause other ailments- primarily colds and upper respiratory infections. SARS and MERS were also coronaviruses.

So they’re not unknown from a clinical perspective. What they don’t know are the particulars of this exact one just yet. But if the others are an indication, which we have every reason to believe is the case, there won’t be any lasting effects from this virus for the vast majority of people.

Single-case study suggesting neurological issues may be present but transient:

Beijing hospital confirms nervous system infections by novel coronavirus

Carrying the virus after recovery is not the same as being infectious.

Your question about vaccines reflects why one rarely gets better than 50% coverage with one’s annual flu shot. New varieties may not be covered. SOP.