Do People Who Spank Their Kids Become Aroused By Doing So?

I know we’re getting off track here (no, it’s not sexual, unless you are pretty deviant in the first place, and then the child probably has larger problems than spanking to deal with)…

But isn’t hating it the POINT?

If you LIKED it, it wouldn’t be punishment, would it?

And I also agree with FairyChatMom. I got smacked a few times when I was a kid, and it never did me any harm. I was not however forced to drop my drawers (and neither was any other person I have ever spoken to). Anything taken to an extreme is abuse. A whack on the fanny, I have no problem with.

While I’m sure the blood flow in many parents is re-routed, I’m certain that in all cases, it is to the blood vessel in their temple. I’m sure that is the only bulge to be found when spanking your kid.

I’m a therapist,
I work quite a bit with kids, have done coursework in human sexuality, I’m pretty knowledgeable about this type of stuff.

While I’d not rule out the possibilty that SOMEONE out there gets aroused by spanking his/her kid, I would definitely answer the op question with a “NO.”

You’re forgetting that sexual arousal requires context. It’s during sexual arousal that the touch of the buttocks feels good sexually, not otherwise. So for there to be some sort of attempt at arousal via spanking, there would have to be some sort of foreplay, etc. Are these parents supposed to be wining and dining junior before they give him a whoopin?

I would like to add: “what kind of sick puppy are you anyway?”

I would further nitpick that “negative reinforcement” is the reinforcement of a behavior by removing an undesireable stimulus. For instance, the removal of the discomfort of a nicoteine fit is what reinforces the smoking behavior in the case of cigarette addiction.
So, what you’re actually saying is that the cessation of spanking serves to reinforce some behavior, I think.

In conclusion, either you were not really serious about this, or you’re seriously ignorant.

greck- “You’re forgetting that sexual arousal requires context. It’s during sexual arousal that the touch of the buttocks feels good sexually, not otherwise. So for there to be some sort of attempt at arousal via spanking, there would have to be some sort of foreplay, etc. Are these parents supposed to be wining and dining junior before they give him a whoopin?

So you think that every guy who’s ever grabbed at or fondled some woman had to have been ‘wining and dining’ her beforehand?

No, but the inability to cogently defend a thesis is not a condition that opens you to compliment.

You have wisely posted this in IMHO, but then framed it as a pseudo-debate.

Since it’s in IMHO, I gather that you are merely looking for others’ opinions. They are represented well above.

If you have any actual evidence to support your inferences and conclusion, toss it out.

• Rick

Might I add that most spanking that I or anyone else I know of is not done in the manner you describe.

I don’t take off their pants or bend them over my lap. Just a hand smacking a clothed (usually standing) bottom.

I’m sure some do it the way you talked about, but it isn’t necessary for spanking to occur.

So now we’ve taken away the unclothed idea, and the genitals-in-close-proximity idea. Do you still consider the manner I describe it sexual?

By linking grabbing and fondling, to my mind, you’re getting to a rape scenario. And rape isn’t about sex - it’s about power. And it’s another conversation entirely.

Might I add that most spanking that I or anyone else I know of is not done in the manner you describe.

I don’t take off their pants or bend them over my lap. Just a hand smacking a clothed (usually standing) bottom.

I’m sure some do it the way you talked about, but it isn’t necessary for spanking to occur.

So now we’ve taken away the unclothed idea, and the genitals-in-close-proximity idea. Do you still consider the manner I describe it sexual?

I don’t know, autz. I’m not positive about all of this, which is why I asked.

But since I can’t see any reason for spanking a child, I have to speculate as to what the real reason might be.

Why do you spank your kids?

That’s about dominance, and general assholery. Maybe a misguided attempt to forego the wining and dining. Probably More like chatmom said, rape, or pre-rape.

The reason to spank a child is to pair the pain of being spanked with the act of whatever it is that got them in trouble. In this way, the child understands that (for example) cussing gets them hit; they therefore are likely to avoid cussing in order to avoid getting hit (in theory, the ethics and efficacy of spanking as discipline is another conversation). This is psych 101 stuff, operant conditioning.
Maybe you should study basic psychology before trying anything so advanced as calling parents perverts for spanking their children.

I have a toddler.

We spank very infrequently, in a situation in which he’s putting himself in serious danger… being at Grandma’s house with keys in hand, heading for an electrical socket. We feel that the shock and pain of a swat across the bottom (the diapered bottom, I might add) is an effective teacher, since he’s not yet speaking enough to explain things to. And of course the shock of the swat and the yell is MUCH better than the shock of 120 volts of house current might be.

I anticipate phasing out spanking as his language skills develop to the point where he can understand what we’re saying and why we’re saying it.

While I doubt that there is any sexual component to the vast majority of bare-bottom spankings, I don’t forsee using that technique in raising my child.

• Rick

I think this is a highly disingenuous statement. Surely you don’t mean you don’t see any logical reasoning at all behind spanking?

Perhaps you mean that you, personally, are unconvinced it’s the most effective method of teaching a child. Certainly, reasonable people may disagree on this point.

But for you to say that you simply don’t see any reason, apart from repressed sexual dominance, for a parent to spank a child is frankly unbelievable. And I don’t believe you.

let’s see, why do kids get spanked?

[ul]
o they’ve directly disobeyed a well-known order or other parental guidance

o they’ve engaged in behavior that has put themselves, others, or both in proximate danger of life and/or limb

o while not perhaps disobeying a “direct” order or command, they have engaged in behavior that has had extraordinary consequences on property, others, or events (i.e., pulling the fire alarm at a theater or church; cutting off all their sibling’s hair; using housepaint to decorate family car*). understood within this context is that child, while not having been specifically directed not to do this, did realize that it was something that should NOT have been done in the first place.

o has engaged in whiny, spoiled-brat behavior for such a prolonged period that any reasonable adult would understandably lose patience and apply a well-deserved swat. (i only wish this was much more common, particularly in stores and other public areas.)
[/ul]
yup, those sound like pretty standard occasions to me.

lachesis

*all examples are purely hypothetical, and have not been engaged in by the correspondent.

Okay, Bricker, that sounds reasonable to me.

The bare-bottom spanking method that SOME parents use on their children looks very suspicious to me, however.

I disagree completely. I think it’s the most ridiculous post of the month.

The more a spanking becomes a ritual, Surreal, the more I begin to distrust the motive of the spanker. A quick spank, at the moment of misbehavior, is a highly effective way of using pain to impart a lesson. Negative reinforcement is a powerful teacher, after all.

The more remote in time the spanking is from the offense, the less teaching value it has. If you’re talking about a highly ritualized behavior, employed on an older child, remote in time from the offense, then would say I don’t agree it’s an effective parenting tool - and I would agree that the motives of the spanker are at least open to question.

[Freud] Sometimes a spank is just a spank. [/Freud]

BTW, cool band: www.thebigspank.com

This is the craziest “serious” thread I have seen on here in weeks.

People only get spanked in the manner in which you so graphically described in the movies or by old, crotchitty people. I know my parents would beat my ass as soon as they got a hold of one of my arms. There was no “structure” to it like you describe.

In fact I don’t know anyone who has spanked their kid like that.

I have spanked my daughter a few times but it is mostly for shock value when she won’t listen or does something dangerous. I have never spanked her bare ass.

This is silly.

Maybe they do it that way because it hurts more?