Do snakes get inside Florida houses?

Clearly, this is not a snake, but a giant book worm.

:eek: :eek: I shall never again set foot inside the state of Florida. :eek: :eek:

Terrifel you had me cracking right up! :smiley:

Lived in Florida for a total of 12 years…never had a snake inside the house or apartment. Lizards, geckos and various beetles and bugs, but no snakes. Plenty outside in the yard, though, which I liked. Kept the cockoach population down.

I have a gecko living in my second floor apartment…I wish he’d invite some friends. Since he’s arrived I haven’t seen a single roach.

They’re not the only ones smoking crack. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve never seen a scorpion here, are they more of a northern FL thing or more common around more rural areas?

I wouldn’t mind snakes or other reptiles in the house if they’d just eat their fair share of bugs, not fall on my head at night, leave the birds alone and manage to not get eaten by my cats, but I think most of the cockroaches are too big for your average lizard or gecko so they probably wouldn’t be eating the ones I’d want them to eat.

Lesseeee, I’m a native Floridian of 40 year of age. Once when I was a kid, we had a snake get in the house. But we lived out in the country at the time. And once, living where I do now, we had one get into the garage, but not the house. Now the yard…that’s a different matter, but my dogs/cats kill all of them they can find.

Well, I am in Michigan and just last Friday we found another snake in my office building. It was dead in the baseboards but its head was poking out a little. A few weeks ago the receptionist saw one slither across the lobby. They are coming inside now that it’s getting colder out. I think most states have snakes of some kind, luckily Michigan’s seem to be mostly small and harmless. My office is kind of out in a field though so I think there are more around here, I have never seen one at my house or in my yard which is more in the city.

We have mice in the office too, but maybe now that the snakes are coming in they will take care of that issue for us. I suggested getting an office cat to catch the snakes, (and a dog to catch the cat, and so on…) but no one went for it.

On the plus side, my 2 year old son is already killing spiders in our house for me. Good boy!

My One Florida Snake Story:
(100% Jeb Bush Free!)

Roughly 7 years ago, I was in Disney World at the then newly-opened ‘Animal Kingdom’ section of the park. I was walking with my wife and my son, when my son asked, “What kind of snake is that Daddy?”

I told him I didn’t know, and walked up to the friendly teenaged girl in a khakis and a pith helmet standing next to us.

“Excuse me Miss, can you tell me please what kind of snake that is?” I asked politely.

She laughed and replied in halting english that I was mistaken…the sign on the wall clearly said ‘Thompson’s Gaselle’,

“…See?” she added at the end for extra emphasis.

"Oh no, you misunderstand me, " I replied. “I don’t mean the animals on the other side of that wall…I mean that jet black snake on the ground right there…the one that is currently slithering from the walkway underneath that bench over there.”

I pointed directly at it and eventually she looked at where I was pointing. It was then that her eyes grew wide…and she literally standing-jumped on top of the bench next to her as she screeched for an animal handler into her walkie-talkie in total hysterical panic.

I looked at her a moment, and then I started to lead my family away from the direction the snake was travelling. It was then that my son asked, “But Daddy, what kind of snake did she say it was?”

“She didn’t. C’mon, lets get out of here. These people are Idiots…”

For what it’s worth, it was probably a black racer. They seem to enjoy being out and about at midday, so they’re one of the more highly visible species.

It must be said, Florida is a great place to live if you like snakes.

I have encountered snakes in my apartment. But that was because I brought them there. I’ve found baby ringnecks and took them in long enough to get photos and then put them back outside.

I have encountered outdoor snakes more commonly, including black racers, Water Moccasins, Indigos, and others. But no rattlers. Thank god.

Yeah, what is this, Soviet Russia?

Some Googling found me this: Florida Scorpions
The good news is that there are no Florida scorpions which are able to deliver a fatal sting (to humans.)
I saw another one out in the carport a couple weeks ago.
He scuttled away.
And upon reading that link, I realized that I have actually seen 3 scorpions since living here. There was one with a funny tail that I had not been sure about. But I found him in the link.
Sorry for the Scorpion hijack.

Everything that the OP says about snakes goes for me about scorpions. having read that link, I now itch all over and actually pulled my feet back from under the desk.

Thanks.

I’ve lived in northeast Florida for two years and have seen 8 or 9 snakes…the black racer is pretty common here, and I’ve seen them cross my driveway and front yard. On one side of our house there’s a wooded lot, so I’m sure some of the snakes come from there. I like snakes (and all reptiles), so I run out to see them. The black racer is so fast, I haven’t been able to get up close. One day, I stepped out back onto my patio and glimpsed a snake go off into the wooded lot next door, so fast I couldn’t tell what kind. (Apparently he was sunning himself.) One day I lifted a flower pot out of another pot, and there all curled up inside the other pot was a corn snake. I went inside, and 15 minutes later went out and he was gone. Saw a snake out on the driveway one day – ran out and took a picture of it before he ran, checked online and found it was a pine snake. Another time, opened my kitchen door leading into the garage, and saw a small black racer run out of the garage. Finally, one afternoon as we were getting into our car, I saw something on the edge of our front yard; I walked over to see, and there lay a relatively small Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. :eek: I was fascinated. And he didn’t move. I stamped my foot to see if he’d leave, but there he stayed. We left. That kind of creeped me out, and although I still wear flip-flops all the time, I always watch where I step when I’m in my yard. The bottom line is: leave them alone and they’ll leave you alone (which goes for most critters, except man). Don’t corner a snake, or any animal; they only attack in self-defense. Walk away from it, and it’ll leave on its own.

Oh yea, another Florida snake story I forgot about…

Our neighbor in Florida caught a 9 pound Catfish out of our park’s lake (which is about an average sized Catfish for our lake, although I’ve seen bigger.) and upon cleaning it discovered a partially digested snake inside of his belly. Not sure what kind of snake it was, but it must have been a good 3 or 4 feet long.

No matter where you live there is a chance of snakes. They do indeed climb trees though, so being on a 2nd or 3rd floor wouldn’t necessarily help. Most creatures like this can climb so height doesn’t help much.

Heck, I watched a show on the discovery channel about rats and how they can get into your house by climbing up through your pipes and end up in your toilet. That is WAY scarier than snakes!

Ireland?

:smack: The chance in Ireland is very, very slim, yes, but they could be there. :stuck_out_tongue: Okay, so they are probably not on the moon either, but if you are leaving the country because of a fear of snakes you may have bigger problems that need to be addressed.

I have bad news for some of the people that said they don’t. I used to live in the Port St Lucie Florida area and had several encounters with venomous snakes. When my husband and I bought our first house there was a lot of construction going on all over my neighborhood as lots were constantly being cleared to build new houses. Right after we moved in my neighbor and her husband came over to greet us and were quick to tell us to be careful working in the yard as they had seen several small Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes coiled up by the edges of their house. First encounter-We set up our one year old daughters wading pool by the patio about 3 feet from the edge of the house. When we were about to turn on the hose there was the first small rattlesnake. My husband and I are both Florida natives and I have a book on Florida snakes that I’ve had since I was a kid. Snake was a small Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. My husband killed it immediately. Second Encounter-I was home alone with daughter a few weeks later -she was taking a nap- in any event I opened the sliding glass door in the dining room that was in the same part of the house where we encountered previous snake and another baby diamondback slithered right into the house! I jumped on top of a chair all the time keeping my eye on the snake and called my neighbor who came right over and whisked it out of the house with a broom. Flash forward a few years a new house a few blocks away with in ground pool. A Coral snake this time. Again my husband killed it. Around that same time another one of my neighbors was having a pool put in and the guys building the pools were being harassed by a water moccasin. We didn’t know that yet and when my daughter and I were taking our afternoon walk we always would stop and look at the turtles in the canal by that neighbors house (from a safe distance). Anyway that same water moccasin started swimming toward us in a seeming aggressive manor. (Those snakes are territorial) Anyway I told the homeowner who happened to be a cop and he came outside and killed it with a shotgun. PS My parents who also lived in the area had a coral snake on the driveway which my dad killed and another time any unidenifided (lol) snake came out of the drain when my dad was in the shower and it went back down the drain before he could do anything. Long story short there are a lot of poisonous snakes in residential areas of Florida!

I used to live on The Treasure Coast (east coast) of Florida and had several encounters with venomous snakes. First was an Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake (small) coiled up by the side of the house as we were about to put out childs wading pool there!!! Husband killed it. A few weeks later I opened the sliding glass door-another small Diamondback slithered right in!!! I jumped on a chair and while I never took my eyes off the snake called by neighbor’s husband who got it out of the house with a broom! A few years later we bought another house close by with a pool and a Coral snake was in the pool on morning. My husband killed it. My neighbor down the street was having a pool put in around this time and the workers were throwing some debris in the canal behind his house and a water moccasin was harassing them. The owner came out and shot it. My parents also had a Coral snake on their driveway one time which my Dad killed. They also got a black racer in the house which cam in thru the garage a couple of times and another time my dad was in the shower and a snake (not sure what kind)came out of the drain and then went back down it quickly. There are a lot of snakes in Florida. I grew up here. Oh one more thin. A guy went into Walmart where we lived (Jensen Beach, FL) in the garden department and picked up a plant and was bitten by a Pygmy Rattlesnake and was rushed to the hospital He didn’t die but I’m sure I wasn’t pleasant. A friend of mine has a beautiful house and property in Jupiter, FL and sometimes gets huge rattlesnakes in his yard. I almost fainted when I saw the photos. So be careful in Florida!!!

I got stung by a scorpion when I first lived in FL. Called the hospital in a slight panic to ask what to do. The nurse snorted and said get a tetanus shot if I hadn’t had one in a while. Non-venomous.