Do Superheroes Wear Underwear?

Blast! My source for UMF being nigh-indestructible was Spiderman 2099. This may have represented an advance in technology, a difference between the two universes, or a writer’s error.

Re-Bras.
Yep, most heroines and villianesses are braless. This makes about as much sense as their frequent wearing of high heels.

Re-Wonder Woman
I’d say her outfit is underwear. Without my Victoria’s Secret catalogue handy I can’t be sure, but I’d guess bustier (though it might qualify as a corset or bodice).

Tigra-For a long time, her outfit was a bikini. Obviously, she wears nothing beneath.

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in my Dad’s Playboy, 30-some years ago. Over one bedroom chair there’s tossed a dress; over another is a Superman outfit. Nekkid guy lying on his back in bed, looking up at a hole in the ceiling and saying, " . . . Lois . . . ?"

I sit corrected and admit my error.

I dunno, considering how focused on his science Reed can be. IMHO he’s the type to forget to put it on ( [Dustin Hoffman]I am not wearing my underwear. Definitely, definitely not wearing my underwear.[/Dustin Hoffman]). In one of the Byrne issues(number escapes me) Sue and the rest throw Reed a surprise birthday party. He’s surprised because he’d genuinely forgotten that today was his birthday. Reed (non-spoiler) later realises that his birthday was part of the knowledge sucked out by an alien machine. But nobody else finds it strange that Reed would forget his own birthday.

Galactus and Heralds-

Silver Surfer, Nova, AirWalker Automaton, Destroyer-
The first two were permanently covered in metal skin. The second two were constructs animated by energy. None of the four needed underwear.

Firelord, Terrax, Morg, AirWalker 1-
Terrax, Morg and Airwalker 1 (When he died, AirWalker 2 was built as a substitute) all wore clothing. What they wore under it is anybody’s guess. I’m not certain whether Firelord is wearing a unitard or if that’s his skin.

Galactus- I have an issue of Hercules in which Galactus removes his helmet. He’s got black hair and Kirbyesque beard-prongs growing from the corners of his chin. The white U against black background is not some kind of eyepiece set in his mask. Unless the big G wears contacts, those are his natural eyes.
Sadly, Galactus does not remove the rest of the armor. The reader is left to wonder if the world devourer wears boxers or briefs.

The Tick-
When Paul the Samurai prepares to depart, the Tick discovers that his blue suit has pockets("Pockets?! I have pockets?!). In earlier issues Arthur had wondered if the Tick was even wearing a costume. The antenna and blue covering could have been his skin.

Arthur-
In an episode of the cartoon, the pants to his moth suit are stolen. We can definitely put Arthur in the underwear category.

Various women-
The White Queen/Emma Frost, The Black Queen/Selene, Shanna, Marina etc
Emma and Selene wore lingerie as their fighting clothes while holding their positions as members of the Inner Circle of The Hellfire Club. Shanna wore a fur bikini. Marina wore a green, one-piece swimsuit. Wearing just underwear, or a swimsuit, makes the answer obvious.

This is definitely true.

You really ought to read Larry Niven’s short piece “Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex”.

And what, by the way, does “VPL” stand for?

Which I just happen to have a link to.
http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html
BTW, VPL = Visible Panty Lines, a very interesting phenomenon to observe, almost as fascinating as nipplebumps in t-shirts.

Which, as far as I know, is copyrighted: Mods! Cleanup on Aisle Cafe Society!

Fenris

In the second series of She-Hulk, she was shown fighting crime in a chemise that was made indestructible by the Comics Code Authority.

Sorry about that. Mods, if it’s a violation, by all means, please delete.

If it’s a violation of forum rules to post a link to copyrighted material, there’s a lot of cleaning up to do…

That’s what I was talking about.
Also, I remember an issue of JLI where they went to Siberia for a fight, and afterwards they’re all standing around in their skintights, freezing their pert little buns off…

Thermoman wears underwear.

Which explains the time she was shot with a machine gun, shredding her sweater but leaving her underwire intact.

A few months earlier, however, she was in a Christmas preview in which a Dr. Doom robot started to tear her shirt, and she warned him to stop because “this is a Code-approved book.”

I checked, and it turns out that Niven has given blanket permission to post “Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex” on the net. However, the owner of this particular site will be asked to post that it is an authorized reprint so that more misunderstandings of this nature don’t occur.

Does someone have this link anymore? I’d love to try to read it!

But…if all these guys are running around in tights with nothing on underneath wouldn’t that be sort of…apparent?

Or are you telling me Superman is not that well-hung?:eek:

I read in a making of book that in the Superman movie they had a continuity person whos job was to make sure that Christopher Reeve wasn’t hanging on different sides in different takes. Eventually they gave up and had him wear a swimmers cup.

I seem to remember one old Marvel Team-Up, involving Spider-Man, Paladin, and the Wasp, in which Janet Dyne ended up wearing only a chemise and tap pants.

I remember old X-men comics that showed the Mimic and the Angel in boxer shorts.

I remember one old Avengers, around the time of Shooter’s “Cosmic Saga,” which shoed Ms. Marvel in bra and panties just before she flew off for a fight with Ultron.

One panel in a Nexus comic showed him lying in bed with bikini shorts on.

And, according to Blackjacmac, Grimjack wore a Kelvar jockstrap.

And, God help us, there was a similar scene with Judah the Hammer, also in mini, teeny-tiny bikini shorts with a couple o’ bimbos on his arms.

Fenris

Please, in Elvon’s name, tell me that they never did this with Anvil.