do Taco Bell food have trans fatty acids?

Specifically do Nanchos Bell Grande contain trans fats?

Yes, indeedy. Oh yeah!

A lot of artificially hydrogenated oils (with all the associated trans fatty acids) go into Taco Bell foodstuffs. I had a friend who worked there and I got to see some packages with ingredients on them.

Of course, it should surprise nobody that Taco Hell is far from health food.

Yes, from the chips, the sour cream, the cheese, and the guacamole (the guacamole isn’t pure avacado).

The Taco Bell Nutrition Calculator doesn’t have any information listed. Have you tried e-mailing them diectly?

Well, nutritional facts are only required to list the saturated fat content.

For instance, if a food shows 10g of fat, 4 of which are saturated, the remaining 6g could be any combination of monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and trans fat.

To get around this, you can look at the ingredients. If the words “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” appear, then you know the food contains some amount of trans fat.

Well sh*t.

So, ok, I gotta make my own nachos. How do I get the beans like theirs? (No cracks about "just add trans fatty acids, please). Do you just add water to regular refried beans, or mix them or something?

TD I tried calling them, and they were kind of cagey. The woman said, well, which ingredient? And I said, all the ingredients, and then she said, hold on, I’ll check. And then she came back and said, not in the cheese or the beans or the beef.

Unfortunately, there is no cis/trans data on the company’s website, but you can check out the nutrition facts here…

Aye carumba, 43g of fat (30g of them unsaturated, many probably are trans and come from the chips and cheese sauce).

My own experience with Taco Bell is that they are far to inconsistent in their preparation for the Nutrition Facts to be useful. But I guess if prepared correctly, you should get no more than 30g of trans fat / NBG.

Well, they said that something or other was made with partially hydrogenated corn oil.

Im not sure how common Gordon Food Service stores are but they sell dried refried beans. They come in a pouch and IIRC you just add hot water. These were the closest in taste and texture to Taco Bell beans that I have tried.

Enlighten me, Taco Bell makes food?:wink:

According to this page, TB hasn’t provided that information.

I love Taco Bell, but I have to ask. Why are you eating at ANY fast food joint if you have concerns about the nutrition or lack thereof in the food? Deep fried tortilla chips, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, fried meat (I assume it is meat, but I never asked and never cared cuz it’s yummy), etc… Nothing about it can possibly mean good for the heart, but that’s why they taste so good.

Thanks to everyone (or most everyone) for your very informative responses.

Gyan9 thanks especially for that link.

Turbo Dog I guess I don’t really understand your question. Concerns about nutrition is not–for me at least–an all or nothing thing. I’m trying to figure out a way to balance between eating what I think tastes good, and eating what I know to be healthy.

I’m ok with eating some fat, but all the research I have come across lately says that trans fats specifically are bad news, and that we should avoid them like nobody’s business. So, I want to know if certain foods contain trans fats. If I find out some food does contain trans fats, I try to cut it out entirely.

Every time I see one of these threads I want to try eating at Taco Bell. These guys have any franchises in the UK?

hmmmm trans fatty acids…

There was one in London last time I was there around 5 years ago. Leicester Square I think.

Damn, thats a little far to go just for a meal. Shame there isn’t one in Manchester