It never stops, Dominic. Our respective parents still refer to my wife and myself as “the kids,” despite the fact that we’re both 33 and expecting a baby of our own.
But getting back to Scotland, what about “Ach!”? Any of you lads of Scottish descent ever catch yourself loosing a few of those at opportune moments?
But getting back to Scotland, what about “Ach!”? Any of you lads of Scottish descent ever catch yourself loosing a few of those at opportune moments?
[/QUOTE]
“Ach”/“Och” - to my ear it’s a sound in between the two - are pretty common in some parts, aye.
I’ll say something like “Ach, Ahm jist away oot” or “Och, a cannae be bothert”*.
I think that the word is used in most of the Scots dialects/accents, but the degree of Ach verses Och varies.
Dittoing on the north of England sounding ‘feller-me-lad’.
Lad and Lass are terms which are used fairly commonly in parts of Scotland but it depends on the context. If a mate in Dundee refers to someone’s lad then I know it’s a boyfriend. If my cousin in Edinburgh talks about someone’s laddie then they are speaking about a child. That said, we speak English so some peeps may never use the word.
I only use ‘Ach’ if I’m pissed off about something.
“Laddie” and “Lassie” are used commonly to refer to children, all over I think, often with “wee” added before. I don’t know about Dundonians though, they’re a strange lot - possibly the only people to eschew consonants atogether “I ate it all” becomimg “a e’ i a’”.
[QUOTE=Dominic Mulligan]
It’s used pretty much all across the North of England.
When I return home, I’m still a “lad” despite being in my twenties. Ottawa must have been populated by Northerners
[/QUOTE]
Early settlers in this area came mostly from Scotland, hence we have towns named Renfrew, Arnprior, Perth, Calabogie, etc.
People in the Ottawa valley don’t have sons or daughters; they have “young lads” and “young ladies.” No kidding. People will say things like “I have to take my young lad to hockey tonight.”
[QUOTE=zelie zelerton]
Lad and Lass are terms which are used fairly commonly in parts of Scotland but it depends on the context. If a mate in Dundee refers to someone’s lad then I know it’s a boyfriend. If my cousin in Edinburgh talks about someone’s laddie then they are speaking about a child. That said, we speak English so some peeps may never use the word.
[/QUOTE]
My grandmother, a child of the north shore of Lake Eire and a descendant of the Highland Clearances, called a child “a wee braw laddie / lassie.” Her unfortunate grandson was called “the wee Jamie.” The old woman also always rememberer Queen Victoria’s birthday.
[QUOTE=Struan]
“Laddie” and “Lassie” are used commonly to refer to children, all over I think, often with “wee” added before. I don’t know about Dundonians though, they’re a strange lot - possibly the only people to eschew consonants atogether “I ate it all” becomimg “a e’ i a’”.
[/QUOTE]
Groundskeeper Willie from the Simpsons must be Dumdonian then.
Bart: “Where’s my dog?”
GW: " I ate im."
[QUOTE=Struan]
Whereabouts are you in the south are you Pjen? I lived for a few years near Newton Stewart, and it was always pronounced there as in John Wayne.
[/QUOTE]
Dumfries. Sorry, I meant ryhmes with vane, not as wean. Sorry for the confusion.
[QUOTE=Hampshire]
And why do the British say “bloody” all the time in all the movies?
[/QUOTE]
It’s to let the audience know that the Aussie with the wierd accent is really playing a Brit.
TBH the worst use of bloody was in an episode of B5 when Marcus the git, I mean ranger, came out with “that’s a bloody big lot of ships”. By Og I wished death on him and the writer of that line.
1 down 1 to go
I mean any true Englishman would simply have said “Fuck ME!”