Do trans girl athletes have an advantage? [Moderated title for clarity]

Not necessarily, but until we have a real test to determine whether a person is male, female, or other, we should take their word until other evidence is provided that shows beyond a reasonable doubt that they are lying.

But it seems you’re using the word “biological(ly)” without meaning.

what evidence could be brought forward to confirm they are lying?

In most facets of life, lying about gender is as irrelevant as lying about your religion. If a coworker says they are a Christian and they are lying, so what? It doesn’t matter. But lying about gender can have huge financial gains in sport. For example, Sam plays tennis at a competitive level. If Sam plays in the men’s league, Sam will be ranked about 300 and make $40k/year. If Sam plays in the women’s league, Sam will be ranked #1 and make $2M/year. There is a huge financial incentive for Sam (and others) to play in the league where they can make the most money. If all it takes for Sam to play in the women’s league is by checking the box for “women” on the application, then there will be lots of players like Sam in the women’s league.

Inconsistent statements, inconsistent behavior, lack of transparency, illogic, odd behavior.

Like showing any person is lying.

We’re only supposed to be v discussing school sports. Do school sports play players millions of dollars?

That’s incredibly vague.

Do you even think that it is possible to distinguish between sexes in any objective sense?

No, they don’t. And it’s unlikely that there will be much fraud at that level. However, college scholarships are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. If no requirements are necessary to play on a gendered team, then students who would be highly competitive on the women’s team would have an incentive to be on the women’s team to gain a scholarship. A #1 ranked HS tennis player will have their pick of schools to go to on a full scholarship. Since gender is somewhat fluid anyway, it wouldn’t necessarily be someone faking being a woman to play on the women’s team. Lots of cismen may have gender questions and may not feel 100% gendered as a man. If someone is fluid with their gender and can get a full scholarship by picking one of the gendered teams, then it’s likely that kind of incentive will be part of the reason someone picks one gender’s team over the other.

School aged athletes can get endorsement deals, scholarships, and go pro.

Also I don’t know why we’re framing this as a question of “lying”.

Despite what right-wing media would have you believe, pretending to be trans is something that would cause the average person a great deal of distress that would be in no way worth winning the egg and spoon race at some point down the line. Is there even one case of it happening?

However, just because someone sincerely feels that they are a girl (and indeed I’m on-board with saying they are a girl), they may yet have very different physiological traits on average to the typical assigned-female youth.

Not yet.

Has there been a single case of someone faking being trans? All the cases I’ve seen are people says the trans girls aren’t real girls.

Exactly.

But so what? We could look at all sorts of populations within the catagory of girls and see differences on average in those populations. If girls of Norwegian descent are taller on average than girls in general, do they have an “advantage” and should they be excluded? Of course not. It’s the same for trans girls. They may have higher amounts of some hormones, but that’s just their biology.

If there’s no way to distinguish between the sexes in any objective manner, why segregate sports based on sex to begin with?

I asked the same question upthread. No response yet.

The segregation of sports by sex either serves a purpose or it should be done away with. The absurdity of doing away with it should be, I think, extremely obvious.

We never should have.

That’s a bold statement. What effect, if any, do you think such a policy might have on high school sports? I think such a policy would prove a disaster for girls as as they’d be largely pushed out of athletics. Here in Arkansas, the record held by a girl for the 100m dash wouldn’t even put her in the top twenty for boys. The top girl in the 400m race would put her at #20 for boys.

I suppose it’s hard to judge how competitive girls would be in sports like basketball, baseball, football, or wrestling. Wrestling at least evens things out a bit by placing people in weight classes and I understand recently a girl took the #1 or #2 spot in the state wrestling against boys. So instead of dividing by sex we could divide by physical characteristics. A division for people who weight X-Y and another division for people who weigh A-B?

Well, if there was no gender category and it was just so-called people competing then the top 20 would still only have 20 people in it. It would just be a different set.

First, we should detach sports from school. Second, we should re-examine the sports we support as a society. There are sports where women have an advantage on average. Support those sports.