Do voter ID laws really affect minorities, students and the elderly more, and why?

As I recall, the Puerto Rico birth certificate was a necessity for registration in the article I read. I assume PR-born have the right to vote in the USa, and so no consular or other papers apply - but obtaining an acceptable birth certificate from a far-away island in a short amount of time seems to be difficult even for important US citizens - especially the acceptable part.

Not sure whats involved http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_hispanicaffairs/2010/06/puerto-rico-official-no-need-to-panic-over-expiring-birth-certificates.html Apparently all older certificates are invalid. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-06-08/news/os-box-puerto-ricans-birth-certificat20100607_1_puerto-ricans-puerto-rico-birth-certificates-application This says its a breeze - if you already have a government photo ID, access to a computer and scanner or digital camera, are sufficiently tech savvy, have a VISA credit card.
These, of course, are all things every poor or elderly person should have no problem with.

As for personal details, my dad cant remember for sure what year he got married, and he has a PhD.; they were divorced in the 60s, my mothers dead. If I hadnt written the details down 20 years ago, Id have a hard timewith those today…

Because the ID is to prove who you are not where you live. The registration roles which they examine when you come in to vote prove where you live and ascertain that you have voted at the right precinct. At least here, CT, all they require is a picture ID. I often use my work ID, because its usually on top in my wallet, which does not have my address.

ETA — AH I see you’re talking about registration. Yes for that you’d need an address, but you can generally show things that are not IDs for that. What we’ve been discussing here is the ID you have to show to vote.

I kind of hate how the media uses “minorities” when they mean “poor people” but it’s a valid point.

I misplaced my Illinois driver’s license in January. I was homeless at the time, and residing in another state. I didn’t get a new ID until April, when I was living in a house again. In order to do that, I had to call up my dad, who I am not usually on speaking terms with. He took approximately a month to mail me my birth certificate and social security card. If he had not found it, I would have had to pay the county clerk’s office in Illinois 15 dollars and it would have also taken 3 to 4 weeks. I also would have had to figure out a way to pay them the 15 dollars via credit card, which I do not have. I also needed a third form of ID just to get the state ID, but I happened to have an old health insurance card laying around. I don’t pay rent over here and my utilities are in my roommates’ names so I don’t have any receipts like that for identification purposes.

Then I had to ride a bicycle to the Motor Vehicles office, which was six miles away and involved a ferry. I live in a major metropolitan area btw, not bum-fuck Egypt. They are only open from 8-4 Monday thru Friday. The waiting room was packed and it took about 2 hours, not counting travel time. I also had to pay them 18 dollars.

If I still had my Illinois drivers license, I would have probably not bothered, because I mostly needed an ID for employment and buying liquor. Then I would not be allowed to vote. I could easily see how an elderly person or someone any broker than me would not go through the trouble of replacing an old or outdated ID.

[minor sidetrack]

Without a DL, passport or other state-official ID, she cannot get it remotely, alas. The Certified Copy of Record of Live Birth is $5 by itself but it has to be her or her duly identified next-of-kin (expensive if none of them still live here) or a designated legal representative (and then that depends on their rates). If she was born before 1931 yes it has to be in her hometown (otherwise it’s at any district office).

Part of her problem is that due to an issue with ID theft and misappropriated documents, entirely the fault of several administrations’ policies of making you hand over your Certified Copy of ROLB to the school or agency you were dealing with for* them *to keep, :rolleyes: , the prior 'Rican CCROLB had become so compromised that, get this: *we **voided *every one issued before 2010. Most of the nonresident population only found out after it happened and are now at the mercy of middlemen if they can’t make it back or don’t have their own IDs and online access, or sons/parents living islandside.

If she** did **have an official ID (and a credit card) then she’d be allowed to scan it to be sent as an attachment to the PR Civil Registry’s online Birth Certificate request form. Or via VitalCheck dot com for $12. No help there for her.
[/minor sidetrack]