Do What Now? And Other Regional Phrases

“Hella” is, AFAIK, originally a Northern Californian word. I grew up in the Bay Area and said it all the time when I was in high school and college. I didn’t realize it was a regionalism until I went to college and met a lot of Southern Californians who had never heard it before.

This was in 1996/1997…it’s much more widespread now, I think. I don’t say it at all anymore.

My coworker comes up with off the wall (to put it mildly) sayings all the time. I don’t think they really count as “regional”, though. This morning we were talking about the new Google phone. I said it cost around $500, or $180 with a two-year contract. His reply, “At that price, you might as well jump out a window and land on your forehead.” :confused:

Growing up in northern Indiana, I was at the intersection of pop, coke and soda.

Moving to middle Tennessee fifteen years added another one: cold drink.

IME, it tends to be used primarily among the working class, as I’ve heard it mostly from the folks out on the floor of factories and warehouses.

Cream and Sugar.

The Midwest is a big place. I’ve lived in eastern and southern Wisconsin, Minneapolis and the suburbs, and the Chicagoland area, and some of these “Midwest” terms I’ve never heard of.

“Bubbler” (for drinking fountain) is confined to a few, very small parts of the Midwest and will either confuse the hell out of anyone outside of those areas, or make them laugh hysterically at your backwards dialect.

“Pop” covers part of the Midwest, the rest is “soda”. I moved from a “soda” part of Wisconsin to a mostly “pop” part of Illinois (Chicago area) and converted my born-saying-pop husband to saying “soda”.

No idea what a “gum band” is, and in my experience the “borrow”/“loan” confusion is usually found among the less educated.

[quote]

No fair cribbing from Dunkin’ Donuts commercials

And your hair don’t smell like sunshine.

It’s a rubberband. But I only figured that out when she started making stretchy hand motions!

Sure - cream, 2 sugars!

‘do what?’ is the version we use when we are shocked at the request. (pronounced ‘doooooo what?’)

I first heard ‘hella’ on a Real World Miami episode - the girl was describing the house to her mom on the phone and said, ‘it’s hella big!’ I think she was from PA though . . .

what is a ‘gum band’?

Correct. Not just sugar, but 2 sugars.

Bubbler is not only Chicagoese, but Bostonese as well. But it’s usually pronounced Bubblah.

I used to always order a “white elephant” - Large, extra cream, no sugar.

And I was going to say “bubblah” but we also called it a “water fountain”

What *is *she talking about?

Ha ha! I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean, but it is hilarious. I laughed out loud.

Former SO: (Here in Georgia)

“You need to eat/drink you sumthin’”

Used to grate on my last frickin’ nerve!!!

Q

You all talk funny. :smiley:

I say “hit” where you say “mash”. I’m in se Michigan.
Everybody here at work also says “Do what now?”, usually because they were busy when you spoke and can now pay attention to what you need.

I used to have a group of friends from pennsylvania and they said “you’ns”, only people I ever knew to use that.

I get that a lot. :stuck_out_tongue: Gum band is Pittsburgh speak for rubberband.

My husband and his sister (from Texas) say “put up” instead of “put away” (“Put up your toys, Timmy.”)

They also say “I’m going to do X here in a minute.” Whatever you’re doing is “here” in whatever time. . . even if it’s not actually “here”. Like: “I’m going to go to Costco here in a minute.” or “I’m leaving for work here in an hour.”

I have no idea if this is a family thing or a Southern thing, but they both do it, so now I do it.

I’ve heard those as well.

One thing that always makes me chuckle (partly because I find myself doing it too) is my mom asking me a “quick question” or doing something “right quick” - neither is every quick - but it’s just that they are all like that.

I had a friend from southeast Kansas who had two phrases he used all the time. One was, “Rainin’ harder’n a cow pissin’ on a flat rock”, which made a whole lot of sense the first time I saw a cow urinate on a cement barn floor.

The other phrase was, “Don’t that make your ass wanna dip snuff?”

This is also a guy who pronounces the words “wolf” and “wolves” as “woof” and “woofs”, which is pretty typical around these parts.

I grew up near Pittsburgh, so I know about gum bands. Anyone out there know what it means to be nebby AKA a neb nose? Also, the roads get slippy in the winter. I’ve had to work to use the verb “to be.” Didn’t know it was wrong until I got to college ;). I also know how to red off a table. Lots of Pittsburgh regionalisms.

Now that I live in Ohio, it drives me nuts when people use itch instead of scratch, as in, “itch my back.”

I do like the regionalisms that our relative in northern Minnesota use such as “spendy” and “oh for cute!”

I [del]was saying “Boo-urns”[/del] say that!