Do women wear pads and tampons all the time, or only during menstruation, or what?

'Cause the grief a guy would get from the other guys at school would make copious bleeding a far more desirable outcome.

Why would a parent be freaked out out?

I’m not a parent, but I would hypothesize that giving birth to a girl-child and idly picturing her as a mother and yourself a grandparent in some foggy, pink-tinted future, and then in Real Time arriving at that day when you know for a fact that your little girl could come home pregnant tomorrow might cause a freakout of some magnitude.

I’ve never found the argument, “You knew <whatever> when you got into this! Why are you so shocked now?” a compelling one. Imagination and reality are two different things.

Further than that I’m not going to try to explain.

I am talking about preparing her for puberty and the start of her menstrual cycle.

You’ve never met anyone who would be reluctant to give their kids The Talk? And who would keep on postponing it until it was too late?

IIRC, menstrual pads started out as bandages.

I had the reverse situation growing up…my mom always hated pads (she started out using the belted variety), had switched to tampons as soon as she was responsible for buying her own supplies, and made sure to have a variety of brands and types available for when I started. She has since told me that my father – who grew up with two sisters who were very vocal about their pad experiences – was relieved when he found out that she would be introducing me to tampons instead of pads.

And I’ll definitely give someone a tampon if asked; it’s rare that I don’t have at least two with me. At work, I don’t keep my supplies in the bathroom, but other women know what I use and have asked me when they’re in a tight spot. I still use Mom’s “make your own variety pack” approach, so I typically have quite a few to pick from.

Sort of.

In the United States, Kotex was launched in 1920 by Kimberly-Clark to make use of leftover cellucotton (wood pulp fiber) from World War One bandages.

There is a claim that the entire concept of disposable pads originated much earlier in the manner you describe, but the source of that claim is apparently regarded as “dubious”:

Great thread. Growing up as the youngest person and only male in the house, I already knew most of this stuff, but I’m still learning a few things here.

Someone should start an Embarrassing Menstruation Horror Stories thread. I could contribute a story, but the OP should be a woman, IMO.

An ex-girlfriend of mine spent a year in Mexico as a high school exchange student. She said that tampons were extremely unpopular there because of their sinful de-virginizing properties. She nonetheless insisted on using them, much to the horror of her host family.

“The Talk” about sex or telling your daughter about menstrual cycles?

You (general “you”) can ignore telling her about menstrual cycles but she WILL find out so not sure why anyone wouldn’t clue her in about that.

In the early 80s I knew a woman who worked for a veterinarian who did ear crops. Following surgery, the ears would need to be supported, so that they eventually would stand erect. They used the cardboard tubes from Tampax brand tampons, throwing away the tampon and using the remaining tubes taped to the ear as their support method.

One day they ran out, so she sent a kid who cleaned cages after school to a nearby Mini-Mart with the business credit card to buy as many boxes of Tampax brand tampons as were on the shelf.

My friend had picked up a box there now and then and figured there would be 2-6 boxes on the shelf. Turns out they had redone that part of the store, and the poor kid made three trips to the register to get all that were there.

Gave the cashier something to wonder about.

In that vein, they are often included in equine trail first aid kits for emergency non-stick bandages. Along with disposable diapers (they are perfect for enclosing a whole damaged hoof; both of these would get heavily wrapped with elastic self-adhering bandage wrap and in the case of the foot, duct tape.)

That is the only reason I have either around, these days.

https: //i.imgur.com/PUyHwph.gif

[Moderating]

@Guinastasia , what the Hell made you think that a post consisting entirely of an animated GIF of Beavis and Butthead sticking bloody tampons up their noses would be appropriate?

Posts consisting entirely of an image are frowned upon. Unduly gross or obnoxious images are inappropriate. Animated images, while allowed, should be used in moderation.

Actually, @Guinastasia’s GIF brought back memories from 1988 or so. I had a nosebleed that wouldn’t stop. I rarely if ever get a nosebleed, and when I have it has stopped spontaneously and quickly.

My one bad nosebleed took me to the ER, where they did some blood work to rule out coagulopathies and such. The ER admitted me to the ENT department at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

After flushing my nostril and looking up it, they decided to numb me with a cocaine solution! I was elated. But it was a teaching hospital and they messed up, flushing with saline before the student returned with the cocaine solution, so I wasn’t numb but the intern/resident/orderly shoved a huge tampon up my nostril. I passed out.

I regained consciousness and the clinician explained what had happened. I was discharged and told to return in a week(?).

The thing is, the tampon was inserted too far and was in my nasopharynx, causing a continuous gag reflex. I couldn’t eat, sleep, ride horseback. It was awful. After 48 hours I realized I’d die before making a week. I returned to the ER where they looked in my mouth and were shocked to see the tampon. It was removed and I had immediate improvement and no bleeding.

That. Is. Horrible. The tampon they’ve tortured you with is a so-called Belloq tampon, designed to staunch nosebleeds. And yes they go a hell of a lot further up your nose than you’d expect, although since the Covid people are more aware of the actual anatomy (your nose cavity goes all the way up to the back of your mouth, it’s directly above your palate). But this is just wrong. It shouldn’t come out the other end :scream:
Glad you came out okay eventually.
As to the OP: it depends on how big the disaster is when you’re too late. This varies from woman to woman and from life phase to life phase. As for me, I’ve been off disposables for years now. I always had to pack double (tampon plus napkin) and even then I’d be running every two hours. Nowadays I use a cup and washables. But I still have a box of tampons in my office for emergencies and/or desperate colleagues. That’s kind of an unwritten rule, if you’re able you help each other out.
Btw I get the modding but I did laugh. Beavis and Butthead is supposed to be tasteless and they succeeded quite well in this case. Even so, more Pit material than GQ.