Do you always carry ID?

Always when I’m out of the house (excepting perhaps if I’m taking a walk in the park near my house or something like that). I always have ID on me otherwise, even if I’m not driving, because you never know when you will need it. Even using a credit card often requires showing ID…hell, I’ve been asked to show my ID when I use my ATM card to buy stuff, despite the fact that I have to have the PIN to make it work anyway.

Always as Chilean law requires that all adults (18+) carry his ID at all times.

Always when out of the house. Actually I have three forms of government issued picture IDs on me at all times. Not because I’m paranoid. Its just easier to keep them in one wallet.

If I’m going in the car, I have a wallet with just my driver’s license and ownership and insurance papers in it. Bank and credit cards stay in my purse, which I bring if I need my purse and all the other assorted stuff in it. Other forms of official id - SIN card, Birth Certificate, passport, get left at home unless I specifically need them. Lost too many wallets and purses in my life to risk carrying those around with me all the time.

Just going for a walk with the dogs - house key and poop bags are all I bring with me.

I always have my wallet in my pocket outside of the house and therefore always have my ID and payment options with me.

As a teen it saved my ass one night at 3am when I was out on a short walk and a robbery happened down the street. I don’t think the cop would’ve believed I was not involved if I wasn’t so willing to present an ID showing I lived a hundred yards away.

It also makes you look nice and forthright when you present a camera and ID on request and say “But I’m an art student taking pictures for class - no sir I was not trespassing (when you found me)”. Then the cops squint at you for a couple seconds and then just drive away.

As others have said, you can legally do without ID (even when driving in some states within a given radius of home) but the police will harass you for a long time before letting you go. I think it’s a bit dumb as the ID is for more than just showing to cops - again as others have said it’s handy for the hospital in the event of a medical emergency. Which is also why I carry my health insurance card with me.

Is it routine for police/officials to randomly demand to see ID?

That’s the reason I almost always have ID on me, too - it’s not about civil liberties or being asked to produce it or anything (that doesn’t even cross my mind); it’s about my husband wondering where I am, and not knowing that I’ve been taken to the hospital and I’m lying in the emergency room with serious injuries because some asshole ran over me.

For a free society, you guys sure are concerned about people asking you for ID. :slight_smile:

Me either. But the reason to have ID is that anything can happen to you on a moment’s notice. Step off a curb and get hit by a car and it could be a long time before a hospital figures out who to notify about the vegetable in room 206. It’s irresponsible to place your loved ones in the position of wondering why Dad never came home.

For me, it’s also a matter of good habits. If I get in the habit of putting my wallet on a shelf, then at some point I’m going to forget to retrieve it when I drive somewhere. I don’t need any traffic tickets, nor the resulting hike in insurance rates.

In this state, if you’re stopped for something you’ll be asked to identify yourself.
If you don’t have state-issued ID or something as good, you may be held for further identifying.
So it’s really a good idea to have ID here, even though it’s not required.

No, but if a cop asks, and you don’t have it, he could take you to a police station until your identity is verified. I’ve never heard of this happening though, but it is the law.

Happens all the time, I would think. If you’re in a place that’s being robbed, the cops show up and detain everyone on the scene until they’re identified. If you can’t show who you are, you’re headed for the hoosegow until your identity is established. I’d just as soon live a quiet life, if at all possible.

Cool. Thanks.

In order to prove I am who I say I am, yes.

I always carry my Spanish ID card on me, as well as my Dutch residence permit and my driver’s license.

In Spain you have to carry ID on you at all times, and if you buy something with a card in a shop, you must produce your ID to check that the card is really yours. Also you must produce it when picking up something at the post office, for proof of age, etc. You are supposed to get your ID card issued when you become 14 at the latest if you are a native citizen (but can obtain it earlier if you -or, more precisely, your parents- want. A 2-month old baby can have an ID card and/or passport – the latter is mandatory if you are taking your baby on a trip abroad; inscribing your children in your passport is not allowed anymore in most European countries that I know of).

In the Netherlands you will be asked to produce ID in many places also. That is why I keep it with me at all times.

I make friends with the local LEO’s.

I look like I just did something I should’nt.

Big, biker duds, chopper. That is all my choice & along with that choice comes the fact that LEO’s who do not know me are going to be mighty curious.

You should see the reactions when I get out of the pi9lot seat in an airplane. Bawahahaha, I think the spurs are what really blows their mind. ( Yes, I can fly just fine with my spurs on.

So, I carry those things that make my life easier.

If it come to it, always remember that saying, “Sir” or they are wearing a uniform does not make them bullet proof.

Pick your battles. Deliberately being a PITA is just a waste of time.

The trick is to make them not want to ID you.

If I don’t like it, I vote and make TV work for me.

In this day & age, one person is not going to change anything unless you can fine a tank & stand in front of it. a tank.

YMMV of course.

Mmmm, not so much; what you’re saying is only true if someone lives with you as an official gov’t ID will direct authorities to your residence. If you live alone, they wouldn’t know how to contact next of kin. This is why I have a RoadID, it displays the emergency contact info that I want.

• I am in no way shilling for them, you could just as easily make the same info on a laminated card that you carry; however, they are durable & relatively inexpensive @ ≈ $20.

A very good friend of mine is you to a T. But twenty years ago, before I knew him he was the polar opposite attitude-wise. And he has scars and stories about those times. He had an epiphany, tweaked his attitude and has enjoyed life far more since.

I know. I meant never heard about it first hand, like from a friend or family member.

I do, but only because I always have my wallet on my person. I find it much more difficult to lose a wallet when it is always with me.

Almost always. It’s in the wallet, the wallet’s in the pocket (at least in theory; in practice, the wallet gets on my nerves, so it often winds up on the car seat next to me, on my desk, etc.). Don’t bring it when I’m running, generally speaking, though I had gotten into the habit when running w/ the Hash House Harriers in NYC of bringing along ID, a credit card, and a metro card in case I got well and truly lost. Bike rides tend to be longer, so I will usually have it then, tucked into one of those silly little pockets on the back of a bike jersey or what have you.