Do you believe the world will end in 2012?

You mean on May 27th or December 21st? There’s two current end-of-the-world predictions for 2012 according to this probably incomplete list, also one’s still scheduled for later this year (October 21st). You gotta be more precise if you want to get accurate answers!

Well, it would really surprise me if devout Christians believed that the world was going to end based on a Mayan calendar…

I spent a lot of time making a long drive through N. FL a few years ago to visit my gf every other weekend. There isn’t much on the radio besides NPR and varoius religious stations, so I listened to a decent amount of Christian radio, and a pretty sizable fraction of that was devoted to predictions about, speculation regarding and advice to prepare for a relatively imminent apocalypse.

So while I’m sure its not a majority of Christians, there’s certainly a pretty sizable chunk that are fascinated with the rapture, Revelations, etc. Its not just athiests drawing attention to a couple fringe wackos.

Since when?

When the premise is faulty, so are the conclusions. It’s all bullshit.

Unfortunately the bullshit won’t end in 2012, either.

:smiley:

My understanding is that, much like the rapture movement among evangelical Christians, the notion of the world ending in 2012 isn’t even accurately stated as a prophecy, much less accompanied by anything resembling believable supporting information.

I’ll stick with the conventional ‘swallowed by the sun when it becomes a red giant’ theory, thanks.

October 21, 2011 and December 21, 2012 are both Fridays.
Give me May 27, a Sunday, so I can at least enjoy the weekend before getting blown into oblivion.

I believe that this thread will be moved to IMHO before 2012.

From the description of In My Humble Opinion:
“What’s your favorite …?” For frank exchanges of views on less-than-cosmic topics. This is also the place for polling

Bolding added by me.

[bitchyangrymood] God, I hope so!

Nope…it’s not going to end in 2012. Coincidentally, I’ll be taking a long trip to the Himalaya’s for a nice boat trip next year, but it really has nothing to do with the supposed end of the world. Charlie Frost is a nut…don’t listen to him…

-XT

The only person I know who’s convinced the world will end Dec. 21, 2012 also believes President Obama wasn’t born in Hawaii.

Personally, I think there’s a bit of untranslated text at the bottom of the Mayan calendar that means “lather, rinse, repeat”.

Bri2k

Wait…are you saying that President Obama WAS born in Hawaii??? :eek:

They thought of their calendar like an odometer…part of it is merely going to roll over in 2012. That should reset things to the first age and start the cycle again (like a lot of ancient peoples they saw time as cyclical).

Or, perhaps ole Charlie has it right (interestingly enough, I was going to link to YouTube’s Charlie Frost animation, as I usually do in these threads…but every Charlie Frost link in YouTube seems suddenly to be broken. Coincidence??? :eek:)

-XT

Yes. Yes, it totally is going to end in 2012.

I’m posting from the heart of Mayan civilization: They don’t.

This is no more ridiculous than the belief in God, angels, heaven, hell, miracles, original sin, and a whole lot of other things so-called “normal” people believe in every day.

[moderating]
Thread moved to IMHO
[/moderating]

I think I speak for the overwhelming majority of Dopers when I answer your question with this cartoon.

Prostrates self in awe and terror