Do you "buy" free Kindle e-books?

Yeah, thanks; I saw that after I posted :smack: but didn’t find it on Amazon when I searched the site.

Amazon’s site is so confusing. I wonder if they do that on purpose. I tried finding Amazon Video this morning, something that should be on the top of their page, with no success. I gave up after a few tries, after even a search engine didn’t even point to it on the first try. I think they do so much rearranging that links get lost there easily, if only for a few hours or maybe days.

That’s actually one of the reasons I started this thread, so I (and others) might more easily find the links to the sources.

One thought might be to check the most negative reviews first. That’s generally what I look for. That’s where I look to find out if the book is even written in understandable English. The bad reviews will often tell you if they aren’t.

Whether authors deserve recompense for their e-books might be an interesting discussion in itself. You might enjoy Free: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson
I wouldn’t pay for that book, and ironically, he’s charging for it. It’s pretty outdated at this point, but it’s a discussion about loss leaders and how it may be successful to offer products and services for free to gain more profitability in the long run. There was a free version at Audible when I first listened to it.

I don’t know how it works for authors who list with Kindle Unlimited, but I had thought that they were getting paid through Amazon for the rental of their books. Is that not how it works?

Crossing my fingers for you that it gives you some some entertainment or amusement, even if that’s only a chuckle at how bad it is.

I usually check the 3-star reviews. 5 stars seem to be people who either aren’t very discriminating, or are the author’s friends. 1-star reviews are often people with an axe to grind. I find that if they’ve actually thought about it enough to give 3 stars, their opinion is usually more useful.

Amazon has free and/or cheap Graphic Novels in Kindle format. I use the ComiXology app to read them.

Thanks for sharing that.

I did a search for ‘free comics and graphic novels’ on Amazon and came up with this search. I picked up The Avatar one. (I remember that episode from the series.)

Is the Comixology app better than the Kindle app for reading graphic novels? The Kindle app worked but may not have been the best viewing of it. I tried looking at the Comixology page for newcomers but couldn’t find the viewer easily.

I used to, then got tired of the “witch detective light romance” sub-sub-genre and stopped.

I do, but am much more selective than I used to be when I bought anything free that looked even slightly like I might want to read it and got way too many.

I just re-read Indiscretions of Archie, by P.G. Wodehouse and just because it’s free doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it. :slight_smile:

So I took the poll to mean the self-published dreck available for free or cheap on Amazon. I hate them.

The publishing industry may have its issues, but I still prefer books to be written and edited to a certain standard, and mainstream publication is a good way to find that.

I get a daily email from BookBub, and if one of their daily offerings is free and sounds interesting, I “buy” it. I haven’t actually read many of them, but of those that I did, some were good, some not so much.

I read a lot of mysteries, and a lot of mystery writers who are doing book series will offer one of their series for free – either all the time, or for random weekends, whatever. I’ve discovered more than a handful of new-to-me authors that way, ones where I’ve gone on to buy quite a few more of their books.

Seems like a good deal for both sides.

Thanks for sharing that. Looks like a useful resource.

ETA: Just noticed the site has a free e-books link that just happens to have a box set of cozy mysteries as the first item at the moment.

I like cozy mysteries. There are a lot of those for free as the first in a series. Do you find that the mystery part is just as good with the free ones?

I like the silly, easy to read ones anyway, so I’m not as picky on quality as others might be.

You and Tim R. Mortiss have a similar avatar theme going. Did you coordinate?

I’ve downloaded a lot of free or very-low-cost stuff that has entered the public domain. I can’t stand being someplace and not having something to read, but at certain times of the year I don’t have much spare cash, so being able to have something free is handy during those lean times.

I read book blogs for the genre I read most (romance) and one of them will send out notices of free or really low price books. They also weed out a lot of the absolute dreck and the blog commenters often will comment on the books they like and don’t like and why. So, the trash is pre-sifted before I have to look through it.

Agreed. I’ve found some authors I really enjoy through BookBub. And also a lot of dreck, of course.