Do you dislike the flavour of fresh cucumbers? Why?

Cucumbers are on my yum list, and no, they taste as good as they ever have for me. No change.

I really like cucumbers, especially the Japanese ones pictured. The skin is thinner and less bitter, so it doesn’t need peeling. Also, it doesn’t give me the nasty burps that regular cucumbers do.

Did anyone else cut the ends off the regular cucumbers and rub them on the cut ends to supposedly remove the bitterness and whatever causes the burps? Almost everyone in my extended family did it and if the cucumber was bitter, we’d blame it on not cutting and rubbing the ends.

Nothing wrong with cucumbers. They’re great on their own, sliced, maybe with a little Miracle Whip. Or put the slices in a bowl of white vinegar for an hour or so before a backyard picnic. They work on grilled burgers, or as a side on their own.

Ever had a cucumber sandwich? My mother used to make them, and they were a treat. Two thick slices of white bread (or a kaiser roll cut in half), butter, sliced cucumbers, mayo, salt, and white pepper. Simple and tasty!

As an avid reader of PG Wodehouse, I note that the cucumber sandwich is (or was) a traditional English staple, a typical thing to serve at teatime. Never had a traditional English cucumber sandwich, but as mentioned above, cucumber by itself can be the basis of a tasty and very refreshing salad.

I note also from PG Wodehouse that cucumber sandwiches are very effective in a fine English home for throwing with a good deal of force at a cat that you find staring with a strange fascination at a canary that has been entrusted to your care by a beloved fiancé. :slight_smile:

Cucumber sandwiches are what you serve to the vicar when he comes for afternoon tea - very thin slices of peeled cucumber in between buttered slices of thin white soft bread, sandwiches cut into neat small triangles with crusts removed.
I get the impression that these were weirdly considered simultaneously very genteel and refined, at the same time as (something like) cheap - that is, not wasting a more expensive sandwich filling on a guest whose visit was not a choice.

I like cukes, even :cucumber: Gatorade is good.

I’m not a big fan of cucumbers. At best they’re kind of tasteless and at worst they’re a little bitter. I’m not a big fan of melons (including watermelons) either, for what it’s worth.

My wife loves cucumbers and melons, though. One of her signature dishes is stir-fried cucumber slices. And she could probably eat half a watermelon a day, in season.

I don’t like the taste of cucumbers, and I could not possibly tell you why. The latin maxim de gustibus non disputandem est applies quite literally to flavor as well as aesthetics – you either like something or you don’t.

And comparing flavors is a pretty iffy exercise. I know that wine tasters try to do this, but i find their comparisons often very far off the mark. Taste and smell are usually very difficult to compare and contrast. I can’t think of anything that cucumber smell or taste resembles as a tool I can use to dissect my dislike of it. All I know if that I really don’t like it. I avoid cucumber-infused water, cucumber-scented anything, and i still root through my salads at the restaurants to extract the sliced cucumbers.

I LOVE a chilled, crisp cucumber that literally snaps when you bite into it. If it is warm, however, things change like a Gremlin at midnight. It becomes flaccid and foul, as disappointing as a much anticipated lover lacking in virility.

I like cucumbers in all forms, pickled, peeled or raw. We have a mixed marriage, though. Mrs. Cardigan is one of those people and can only eat her cucumbers peeled, and only in moderation at that.

I never purchase them for myself and have little to no use for them personally. With that being said, I’ve no strong opinion about most cucumbers. If they’re already in a salad or something then fine but I certainly don’t seek them out. Most seem blandly veg but every now and then I bite into one a strongly bitter, unpleasant flavor presents. Different varieties and or growing conditions I guess.

There’s an old, old joke about cucumbers.

Q. What is the best way to prepare cucumbers?

A. Take three large cucumbers, peel them carefully, and cut them into thin slices. Add a little salt and black pepper, and a light dressing of good-quality olive oil. Then throw them away, as being totally useless.

I love cucumbers. I grew “Sweet Success” this year and actively mourned a bit when the season was over. Cucumber sandwiches, tzatziki, salads, by themselves with a little bit of salt and pepper, shared with the dog (minus the salt and pepper…I ate them every day all summer long.

What’s interesting, is that I loathe melons, and don’t really get the cucumber/melon flavor association, myself. (Other than botanically, I mean)

Generally, I like the taste unless there is too much bitter peel. However, like many of you have said, cucumbers make me burp and taste cucumbers for hours and hours. Watermelon does this too, and on a lesser scale, canteloupe. I don’t like honeydew, so I’m not sure about the burpiness of it. So I avoid them all.

I miss tomato, onion, and cucumber salad with a lively vinaigrette - but sometimes I make it for my husband and eat it anyway. It’s delicious!

This may be part of it for me.

Not so much that I taste it for hours, but that to my perception, if you put cucumber is something, it becomes cucumber-flavored whatever.

e.g. potato salad tastes like potatoes & mayo but potato salad with a smidgen of cucumber tastes like CUCUMBERS!!!, potatoes & mayo. Ditto cucumbers in a sandwich, a lettuce salad, etc. Which is funny because cukes are not highly flavored. But what small flavor they have pollutes the heck out of whatever it touches.

I’m much the same with red onions, although unlike cukes those are strongly flavored.

I like spicy and enjoy white and yellow onions. But red onions in anything mean I’m eating red onion-flavored whatever-else-it-is-texture: red onion-flavored omelet texture, red onion-flavored pizza texture, red onion-flavored cheeseburger texture, etc. Just a pinch is way too much.

I dislike the flavour of fresh cucumbers. Why? Because they taste like cucumbers. Cucumbers are 97% water and 3% foul taste.

Please can you describe the foul taste?

It’s very cucumber like.

This pretty much sums up my feeling toward cucumbers.

You’re the first person to respond who might actually have something relevant to my original question. Please can you try to describe it by comparison to something else that isn’t a cucumber?