Do you drive or have you driven a truly overpowered car?

Probably 75% of all the cars I’ve owned were 8 cyl. land yachts. They’re all more power than you need. We have a TransAm (8 cyl) and a Ford Ranger (4 cyl). We need to start thinking in terms of what we need instead of what we want. However, my husband is a car/speed freek and simply won’t suffer anything less than 8.

Bill Cosby in his “200 mph” album: “But I live 2 miles from work! I NEED a car that does 200 miles per hour!!”

My dad had a BMW 850, which I was able to drive a few times. I’m sure of you wanted to you would have been able to get pretty fast acceleration out of the thing, but it was built as a luxury car so you really didn’t get any sense of the road or the car changing speeds (and the sucker was heavy.) So you had to keep a really close eye on the speedometer because otherwise the only way to have any idea how fast you were going was based on whether you were passing cars or they you, and the lack of sensation made one tend to slooowly keep increasing speed.

Apparently there were only two of them in our city, the other being owned by a baseball player with the same first name as my dad. My dad was white and owned a black 850, while as the baseball player was black and had a white 850. Apparently the valet guys at the airport found this humorous so they started it up as a chant:

“White Joe black! Black Joe white!”

The car was unfortunately t-boned when a person ran a red light and ran into my dad. He came out perfectly fine (which is one reason to go BMW over Porsche at minimum) but the car was always a bit wonky ever after apparently, so my dad sold it.

• not actually “Joe” *