Do you find the term 'Aspie' offensive?

We had a long thread about it. I don’t remember if there was a definitive conclusion but it basically went like this: highly offensive in the UK, commonly used in Pakistan not offensive and little used and not known or not offensive in the US. Its one of those words that don’t have the same meaning in British and American English. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it used by an American.

I guess any word used to describe someone or a group of people can be used as a pejorative. That being said, I’m wondering this: It’s one thing for someone with Asperger’s to refer to himself as an “Aspie”. Is it another thing for someone not on the spectrum to refer to someone with Asperger’s as an “Aspie”? I think that’s the real question.

Like “Oriental” - okay in UK, wrong in the US. IMHO not offensive per se, but akin to “negro;” anyone using it seems very out of touch and ignorant.

No, and I am one.

I have Aspergers’ and even though I sometimes privately refer to myself as an Aspie, I would hesitate before using this term to describe anyone else. Mostly because I don’t know if they’d find it offensive, so I’d rather not take that chance. I’m aware there are people who think or pretend they may have it and use this notion as an excuse for rudeness and misbehavior without even doing any research or seeking an actual diagnosis from a professional. I seem to recall Cracked magazine once referred to these people as “Ass Burgers.”

Ass Burgers.

Yes, there are lots of people online who have self-diagnosed without the benefit of a therapist. Every decade or half, there is a new trendy disorder.

+1

(As with many words, the context matters.)

Not offensive, but, like others have said, a bit twee.

I also don’t like defining people by one trait unless the context is all about that trait (like “redheads burn more easily.”) I think that’s dehumanising. It’s even not always healthy to use it as a descriptor for yourself because it can lead to you associating yourself with that trait above all others. Again, in some contexts, that’s fine. And I occasionally refer to myself as a crip, as do some other people I know who have disabilities, but I really wouldn’t like anyone else to refer to me as a crip. Aspie isn’t offensive in the way crip is, but I’d be wary of using it to label other people.

Only when used as an insult. But that applies equally to Asperger’s, too.

It should not be used just to say that you think certain people are losers. That ultimately is saying you think real Aspies are losers, and you shouldn’t disparage someone for their mental illness.

At least it’s not as bad as “spoonie.” I have no idea wtf that refers to, but I’ve seen it popping up on Tumblr and *my God *talk about twee.

It refers to a person with limited physical or mental energy. Based on an analogy of having a finite number of “spoons” each day. Mundane tasks (getting out of bed, wiping your butt, making decisions) each consume one spoon. If you’re too tired to do more, you “don’t have any more spoons”. Often hijacked by lazy people on the internet to excuse their laziness. Similar to how Autism and Fibromyalgia get overly self diagnosed.

I have Asperger’s syndrome and no I don’t find it offensive. But I don’t use it.

I don’t find it to be offensive. But I also wish that people would stop self diagnosing the condition.

Seriously…you might just lazy and stupid and not have anything other that wrong with you. Let a trained professional call it, people.

That still makes no sense. How the hell did spoons get involved in this. Who has a bunch of spoons?

IMHO, many times, when one uses the diminutive form of a noun/name*, it is, almost by default, patronizing, especially when applied to adults.

It’s like saying, “Oh, don’t worry about him. It’s nothing personal - he’s all cancery, so his mood takes some big swings.”

I mean, doesn’t the above sound dismissive re: a person who has cancer? So why would you not think that “Aspie” isn’t dismissive of somebody with Aspergers?

*IOW, changing “Bob” to “Bobby”, “John” to “Johnny”.

The word aspie on its own is not offensive. There are people who have Aspergers who use the term to describe themselves. The way you use it, however, is unquestionably offensive. Here’s a post you made in the sushi thread:

In this case, you’re not referring to someone who has Aspergers. You’re using it as a put-down against people who are, as far as you know, neurotypical. There’s no credible way to interpret its use here as anything but an insult aimed at people you find to be immature. And in using aspie as an insult, you’re implying that people with Aspergers are as worthy of derision as the people you’re attempting to insult.

…or as a put-down because you can think circles around the person saying it.

From what I heard, it started from a woman who had some chronic medical condition which gave her a lot of fatigue. She couldn’t do all the things she wanted to do in a day, and had to ‘economize’ what little energy she had. She was explaining this to a friend at a restaurant, and used spoons as an example of ‘energy’ because they happened to be sitting on the table.