Do you have a favorite kids book?

Whoah, what happened to the OP?

I really liked Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak.

Another favorite was The Rainbow Goblins by Ul de Rico.

Damn those friggin hamsters!
The Op was that I babysit alot of kids so I read them alot of books ans what books do you guys like. I enjoy the Ramona and Henry Huggins books

Goodnight Moon.

Happy

My favorites were Where The Sidewalk Ends and A Light In The Attic by Shel Silverstein.

I also loved Roald Dahl: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, James and the Giant Peach, and Danny–Champion of the World.

If you want a GREAT chapter book to read, I highly recommend Understood Betsy.

** “The Little Princess” ** is my favorite children’s book of any kind, ever. Absolutely enchanting and enthralling, a deep and satisfying delight. (Note that I refer to book, and ONLY to the book. Neither film adaptation did the book anything like justice.)

Tales of a Forth Grade Nothing

The Magic Tunnel, Caroline D. Emerson’s novel about a couple of kids who board the subway in 1960’s New York and end up in Peter Stuyvesant’s New Netherland of 1664. I’d guess it’s out of print, but your local library or used-book store may have a copy.

Sternvogel

I didn’t think there was anyone left who remembered The Magic Tunnel! It probably is indeed out of print, but I still have my copy, which was purchased almost 40 years ago.
The other thread concentrated on young children’s picture books.

My favorite books for grade school readers:

E.Nesbit’s excellent fantasy series: Five Children and It, many others

Edward Eager’s fantasy series (heavily influenced, in a good way, by E. Nesbit)

The Borrowers series (pre-movie)

Dr. Doolittle series (pre-movie, loved the author’s illustrations)

The Black Stallion series (again, pre-movie, but I thought the film adaptation was pretty good)

It’s terrible that I can’t remember the name of the book, but it’s one that’s had the most impact on me. It’s a Christmas story about thsi boy that’s visited by a train. During the story, Santa Clause gives him a magical bell that is attuned to the magic of Christmas. As he gets older, the bell becomes more and more faint, symbolizing the way that as we all get older, we lose the magical joy of life and get too worried about other things. It’s the same theme that runs through Boy’s Life, another of my all time favorite books. I hope I never lose my magic.

Other than that, Curious George Goes to the Hospital is always a favorite. Especially after that whole Ether thing :slight_smile:

Alexander and the NoTerrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

Any of Shell Silverstein’s peotry books.

The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye.
Just a fantastic story - I bought a copy about six months ago. Mine had been loaned around so many times that it was falling apart, and I have to keep a copy around. It’s just delightful reading and makes me happy to pick it up on a rainy day and read about Her Serene Royal Highness, Amethyst Alexandra Augusta Araminta Adelaide Aurelia Anne.

I have to secon Roald Dahl - everything he’s written.

El Elvis Rojo, that’s The Polar Express. Great one!

It’s really hard to pick a favorite, but I think the one I come back to the most is A Time of Wonder, by Robert McCloskey.

For chapter books, man. Hard to say. I think the ones that consistently delighted me, even as I grew up, were the Ramona Quimby books, by Beverly Cleary.

My two absolute favorites have already been listed, Where The Wild Things Are and The polar Express.

I will also add all of the Junie B. Jones books, Curious George and anything by Mercer Mayer.

I loved Understood betsy too! At one time The BFG by Raold dahl was my favorite book as well as all the others . I had a special place in my hear for E.L Konigsburg (sp?) as well ,did you ever read “A proud taste for scarlet and Miniver”? or “from the mixed up files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler”

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. That’s the book that got me starting on my lifelong kick of reading.

My parents knew that they created a monster by giving me that book when they would routinely find me sleeping in bed with the book opened…

Zev Steinhardt

zev,I saw the movie and liked it but i never could find a copy of the book

I never saw the movie.

Anyway, you can get the book from Amazon for $5.99 plus shipping.

Zev Steinhardt

The Big Joke Game by Scott Corbett

I cant remember the author but I once found a very good,short book called “the very hungry caterpillar” When i read it to the little ones,they seemed to like it