Do you like anime

Who lives down in deepest, darkest Africa (Africa)?
Who’s the one who brought the jungle fame?
Who’s the king of animals in Africa?
Kimba the White Lion is his name!

We’re off to outer space
We’re leaving mother Earth
To save the human race
Our Starblazers!

Searching for a distant star
Heading off to Iscandar
Leaving all we love behind
Who knows what dangers we’ll find?

We must be strong and brave!
Our homes we’ve got to save!
If we don’t in just one year,
Mother Earth will disappear!

Fighting with the Gamelons
We won’t stop until we’ve won
Then we’ll return, and when we’ve arrived
The Earth will survive
With our Starblazers!

Ah, the memories…

:slight_smile:

Barry

I highly recomen the following:

Cowboy Bebop: A tale of a kung-fu bounty hunter in space. His tragic story and motley crew. Sometimes funny, sometimes sombre. Always good.

Neon Genesis: Evangellion: Giant Robo genre with a twist. Very dramatic (most of the time) and oddly religious undertones, but the weirdest ending to a story since…

Akira: Wow. Mind f*ck. Really cool.

The Record of Lodoss War: Dungeons and Dragons come to life. 13 episodes. You watch the first few and be hooked. First timers almost always sit through all 7 hours.

New stuff out that’s good:

Scryed: Anime’s answer to the X-Men. Mutants with cool powers + Post apocalyptic Tokyo =- cool.

Read or Die (sometimes listed as R.O.D.): Like the New Mutants mixed with Hellboy, I just started this series and I like it muchly.

Of the shows currently running on CN, I second the recommendation of Trigun. If they start showing Cowboy Bebop again, I might have to change my mind.

I just compiled a listing of the overlapping voice actors between Evolution and Inuyasha. I knew there were several, but I didn’t realize there were this many:

Richard Cox: Quicksilver and Inuyasha.
Moneca Stori: Amanda and Kagome.
Kirby Morrow: Cyclops and Miroku.
Scott McNeil: Wolverine and Koga.
David Kaye: Professor Xavier and Sesshomaru. :eek:
Brad Swaile: Nightcrawler and Nobunaga.
Chiara Zanni: Jubilee and Yura.
Kelly Sheridan: Scarlet Witch and Sango
Janyse Jaud: Taryn (the girl Scott went to the dance with) and Kagura/Kanna (I don’t think I’ve seen either of these characters yet.)
Pauline Newstone: Agatha Harkness (Wanda’s teacher) and Mistress Centipede.
Paul Dobson: Juggernaut and Naraku/Miyoga.
Saffron Henderson: Callisto and Sota.
French Tickner (not kidding): the professor in “Retreat” and Grandpa Higurashi.

No, I do not.

I watched the new Teen Titans. Don’t know if it qualifies as anime. Starfire does have those big doe-like eyes, common in anime.

[Dr. Evil voice]

You’re not quite anime enough. You’re semi-anime. You’re quasi-anime. You’re the margarine of anime. You’re the Diet Coke of anime, just one calorie, not anime enough.

[/Dr. Evil voice]

Seeing as how I live in the land-o-anime, I have quite a few:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Blue Seed
Lain
Key
Macross Plus
Sailor Moon
The Sea Prince and the Fire Child (a really awesome Romeo and Juliet one for kids from way back when)
Vampire Hunter D
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Castle in the Sky
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll

I’m not up on the TV shows but movie-wise don’t miss these:

Akira, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away

I notice that acrossthesea has listed these as well but I don’t know what others are movies and what are TV series. Anyone else with movie suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Most of the time I nab something at random from the video store I am disappointed.

Two I have heard good things about in passing are Perfect Blue and Grave of the Fireflies. Any comments on those would be good too (I just heard about Perfect Blue because the guy who made it is debuting a new anime flick in New York this month at the anime festival there).

Anime I like:

Cowboy Bebop
Cowboy Bebop Movie
Lupin the 3rd(“LUPPPPPPPAAAANNNNNNNN!”)
Ghost in the shell
Spirited Away
Galaxy Express 999
Tank Police
Metropolis
Grave of the fireflies(though the saddest movie I’ve ever seen)

Anime that are okay:

Big 0(I like the theme song more then anything else, that and the fact the main character sounds a lot like Spike from Cowboy Bebop)
Record fo Lodoss War(I was expecting a bit more war, not just human extras being slaughtered En Masse in a freeze frame by monsters)
Akira(Good but hard to understand)

Anime I didn’t care for:

Pokemon
Dragon Ball Z
X 1999(All of the good guys were weak and pathetic and the ending was incredibly anti-climatic. The Manga is supposed to be better)

Sad and beautiful. I think those are the two best words to describe Grave of the Fireflies. It’s a great film and I recommend it to anyone. Some parts are just so… intense. The movie really stays with you. I don’t know if I can watch it again anytime soon though. Watch it and you’ll know what I mean by that. Here’s a site with more information about the film.

Perfect Blue falls into the category of ‘realistic’ anime. Maybe ‘suspense thriller’ would be a better description. I hadn’t seen many animes of this type at the time so I found it to be a nice change of pace. It was nice to see a movie with no giant robots or magic for once. Definitely a great film although it starts playing mind games with you as the plot unfolds. :slight_smile: You’ll be wondering what is real and what is not more then once as you watch. You might like it if you’re looking for something outside of sci-fi and fantasy. Of course, my friend thought it was confusing as hell when he watched it so your mileage will vary. Here’s a site with more info.

BTW, what is the name of the new anime that guy is debuting?

As for anime I like, I’ll have to second Serial Experiment Lain again. I loved it almost as much Cowboy Bebop.

Does anyone else remember back when MTV aired Speed Racer? Ah, that was the good old days when MTV didn’t suck.

My favourites, in no particular order:

Macross Plus
Ranma 1/2
Urusei Yatsura
Kimagure Orange Road
Cutey Honey
Kekko Kamen

Moviewise, be sure to see Twilight of the Cockroaches, which is a very strange, yet moving meditation on the second world war, in which Japan and Germany are represented by animated anthropomorphized roaches, while the allies (or at least England and the United States) are represented by live-action human beings. Funny as hell in parts, but I dare you to get through it without weeping.

Speaking of WWII, Barefoot Gen is an awesome movie based on Keiji Nakazawa’s autobiographical manga about his experience of the bombing of Hiroshima. (He was seven at the time.)